28mm or 35mm as every day lens

miatadan

Supposed we are speaking of 24x36 cameras, 28 is DEFINITELY a wideangle : to say, if you have a subject which must be of a certain size (relatively to the whole frame) , you must be very next to it... with two problems :

1) Can happen you CANNOT be very next to it

2) The subject (unless completely flat and parallel to focal plane) will show a perspective that is deformed in respect to a normal view, and this can result unpleasant.

So,having 28 as a standard is, generally speaking, risky : but of course one can decide to do like this, for environmental or also esthetical reasons : it's all about the situation : just to make a (rather trivial) example, if you which to make a reportage of people at party inside a house, 28 or even a bit shorter can be the better choice for a "single lens set".

Edited by luigi bertolotti
  • Like 3

How often did you use your X-Vario at its base focal length? If often, then go for it. If not, then rather get something longer. I have the Elmarit, and it's a super little lens, but a 28 would be too wide for me as my only lens. It wasn't for Winogrand though :)

It's always going to be different from person to person and it's kind of pointless asking others because you will have your own preference even if unaware of them at this point. It's just a case of buying and trying really. But I understand your process so here are some thoughts.

Personally I find 28 too wide in an every day sense. For me it's primarily a 50 and then a 35 a little less. For an every day lens I want something that is a historically true and accurate record, unencumbered by lens design and distortion. It's not open to translation, so to speak, I want to see it as it was. I'm finding myself more wanting of this the older I get. I like to take portraits and a 28 is either going to distort too much, or leave them too small in the frame. I don't want either for that kind of everyday situation.

That said I shoot a lot of portraits with wide angles for the intent and purpose of exaggerating and distorting, manipulating perspective but I don't want that in every shot and for an every day lens. I'm sure the people in your photos don't want that either.

If it's about stretching budget then you can always crop down to a 50. But it's better doing that from a 35, IMO.

• Like 1

28 can definitely work, but perhaps a bit more difficult to make it so. I find that my Sony RX100 lives at 28mm, my Canon 6D was usually shot with the 24-105 at the 24mm setting, while on my M Monochrom my 24mm lens sat unused and I've almost always got a 35mm or 50mm lens attached.

For me I think I just tend to shoot wider lenses with color and prefer to frame tighter with black and white, but thats not from any thought or analysis, just looking at focal length in all of my EXIF data from last year.

Seems most choose between 35mm and 50mm as everyday lens.

What are pros and cons of choosing 28mm as main lens on camera?

35 & 50 are chosen with good reason. if you are wondering about a 28 then it sounds like 35 would be the compromise to go for initially.

Pros of choosing a 28 are that if you like it you won't need to buy one later;). Cons are that its a bit wide for most people so you are quite likely to find it too wide yourself meaning that you have to look for another lens (35?) which is not as wide.

But as has been said is a personal thing and the only real way to find out is to try....

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It really depends on the day :D

I usually alternate between 50/1.4 and 28/2 but I'm not a fan of 35s the only 35 I got is a pre-asph chrome.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 6

What are pros and cons of choosing 28 mm as main lens on camera [as opposed to 35 or 50 mm]?

Pro: When shooting from the same distance, a 28 mm lens will capture more of the subject in the frame.

Con: When shooting from the same distance, a 28 mm lens will capture more of the subject in the frame.

• Like 18
  • Haha 1

Pro: When shooting from the same distance, a 28 mm lens will capture more of the subject in the frame.

Con: When shooting from the same distance, a 28 mm lens will capture more of the subject in the frame.

:)

There is not such thing as an 'everyday lens' in an M. Every lens has a purpose. If you plan ahead, you would have made the right choice.

Even if you have brought along a lens that is different from what you would have desired, all is not lost as you just need to look at the scene differently.

For me its always a choice of 28 or 50 for a one lens option.

• Like 2

It's always going to be different from person to person and it's kind of pointless asking others because you will have your own preference even if unaware of them at this point. It's just a case of buying and trying really. But I understand your process so here are some thoughts.

Personally I find 28 too wide in an every day sense. For me it's primarily a 50 and then a 35 a little less. For an every day lens I want something that is a historically true and accurate record, unencumbered by lens design and distortion. It's not open to translation, so to speak, I want to see it as it was. I'm finding myself more wanting of this the older I get. I like to take portraits and a 28 is either going to distort too much, or leave them too small in the frame. I don't want either for that kind of everyday situation.

That said I shoot a lot of portraits with wide angles for the intent and purpose of exaggerating and distorting, manipulating perspective but I don't want that in every shot and for an every day lens. I'm sure the people in your photos don't want that either.

If it's about stretching budget then you can always crop down to a 50. But it's better doing that from a 35, IMO.

I never thought about the 50mm being historically true and accurate record, unencumbered by lens design and distortion. When I had film Nikon slr's , I always used 50mm.

Dan

My main two lenses are 50 and 28 in that order and I'm usually carrying two lenses when I'm out.

If I'm just out for more casual photography, family, or for a-not sure-what-I-may-come-across-but-only-want-to-take-one-lens-sort-of-lens then I'll take a 35.

Edited by MarkP
  • Like 2

Is there anyone here using Leica Elmarit 28mm f/2.8 as only lens on camera.

Dan

I'm using that 28, and also a Ricoh GR (which is 28).

I find it to be really good for taking photos of groups of people and landscapes (with near subjects) where the perspective and angle are interesting elements. Its very nice wide open and stopped down to f8 or so its tolerant of mis-focus since the DOF is so wide. The lens is very small and light.

However, shots of single subjects (things, faces) are difficult due to the 0.7m minimum focus, its difficult to fill the frame, and landscape shots often do benefit something in the foreground other wise they can be pretty boring.

I'm currently on the hunt for a 50mm, however I'm learning much more from using the 28.

This is totally subjective. The 28 gives you more of that spectator's perspective and a spontaneous look. That plus the greater depth of field makes it the best focal length for snapshots for a lot of people. It is also more useful indoors. However, it is harder to compose as your will get distortions when your subject is closeup or near an edge of the frame. I'm attaching some snapshots taken a 28 (Ricoh GR) to demonstrate. Pay special attention to how my daughter's shoe is distorted in the second picture. Something like that happens easily with a 28 and is hard to avoid if you are shooting through a rangefinder window (rather than an LCD or SLR screen).

The 35 is more forgiving. It is probably as wide a lens as you can go without needing to pay attention to the possibility of distortion. I can live with just this one lens, but I do feel that there are times when I will miss the spontaneity of the 28 or the more intimate look of the 50. But it is a good middle ground and wholly sufficient if one must have just one lens.

I can shoot all day with either, but if down to just one lens I'd probably pick the 35 more often than the 28.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 8

I think it depends what kind of "everyday" shooting you do.

I agree that the 28mm FL requires much more staging to nail your composition. But if you get it right, you get better results, I think.

With 35mm you don't have to think as much.

I alternate b/n the two and don't think of one as my primary.

But if I travel and have to bring one lens, it is the 35mm

• Like 2

This is totally subjective. The 28 gives you more of that spectator's perspective and a spontaneous look. That plus the greater depth of field makes it the best focal length for snapshots for a lot of people. It is also more useful indoors. However, it is harder to compose as your will get distortions when your subject is closeup or near an edge of the frame. I'm attaching some snapshots taken a 28 (Ricoh GR) to demonstrate. Pay special attention to how my daughter's shoe is distorted in the second picture. Something like that happens easily with a 28 and is hard to avoid if you are shooting through a rangefinder window (rather than an LCD or SLR screen).

The 35 is more forgiving. It is probably as wide a lens as you can go without needing to pay attention to the possibility of distortion. I can live with just this one lens, but I do feel that there are times when I will miss the spontaneity of the 28 or the more intimate look of the 50. But it is a good middle ground and wholly sufficient if one must have just one lens.

I can shoot all day with either, but if down to just one lens I'd probably pick the 35 more often than the 28.

As good as the ricoh is you can't really use it as a comparison as in reality it is a 18mm lens so yes you will get more distortion etc especially close up (this is very noticeable in your 2nd and 3rd shot and the 28 cron wouldn't behave like this) a 28mm on FF will behave and render very differently. the 28 is my most used lens on the M and in fact one of the joys of using it is the lack of distortion that it shows for a lens of this focal length

Edited by viramati
  • Like 4

I was referring to perspective (and not optical) distortion, which I believe to be only dependent on the angle of view of the lens and the subject distance. The lens on the GR is indeed 18mm, but on the APS-C sensor gives the same angle of view as a 28mm lens. So it has the same perspective distortion as a 28mm lens on full frame.

What you are referring to is the optical distortion, that some 28mm lenses are better than other 28mm lenses due to the optical formula / glass materials, and you're probably correct. I don't have a 28 Cron but do have a 28 Elmarit-ASPH and love it.

Edited by cpclee
  • Like 2

I was referring to perspective (and not optical) distortion, which I believe to be only dependent on the angle of view of the lens and the subject distance. The lens on the GR is indeed 18mm, but on the APS-C sensor should give the same angle of view as a 28mm lens. So, if I'm not mistaken, it has the same perspective distortion as a 28mm lens on full frame.

What you are referring to is the optical distortion, that some 28mm lenses are better than other 28mm lenses due to the optical formula / glass materials, and you're probably correct. I don't have a 28 Cron but do have a 28 Elmarit-ASPH and love it.

No I am not referring to optical distortion. They may both have the same FOV but the Ricoh is an 18mm lens and as such you will see more subject distortion close up. This was one to the main reasons that I sold my fuji system and it's 18mm (28 equivalent lens) because of the distortion you get when shooting people, this is not so noticeable with landscapes etc. You really need to get a FF camera with your 28mm elmarit and shoot the same subject with the Ricoh to see what I am talking about. try with elbows arms etc in front of your subject and shoot within a 1m or so and you should see what I am talking about

Edited by viramati