Experience with 2X extender

Overgaard

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Here is the manual for the 2X (non-APO) Extender as promised.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thorsten:

I have the same extender as you, but for the SL2. on the 180 Apo Telyt, it works like a dream. On the 100 Apo, it works like a dream.

Richard

• 2 years later...

Hello,

today I got my Leitz Extender-R 2x, that non-apo one, the older version. I would just like to ask...or I´m a bit confused after reading how to you this extender, particularly the aperture settings. I use it on my Elmarit-R 180/2,8, the older version.

According to the table shown on Leica.com, 180/2.8 turns to 360/5.6.

I don´t understand what happens if I set on my lens the value e.g. f2.8. with the extender. What will happen if I use the auto-mode on my R5?

Could anyone please explain that to me how to work with the extender? Or can I only set the aperture that I want and that´s all?

Or do I have to set f5.6 at least and than only higher values (8,11,16 etc.) and with f2.8 the picture would be overexposed?

Thank you very much!

Hello,

today I got my Leitz Extender-R 2x, that non-apo one, the older version. I would just like to ask...or I´m a bit confused after reading how to you this extender, particularly the aperture settings. I use it on my Elmarit-R 180/2,8, the older version.

According to the table shown on Leica.com, 180/2.8 turns to 360/5.6.

I don´t understand what happens if I set on my lens the value e.g. f2.8. with the extender. What will happen if I use the auto-mode on my R5?

Could anyone please explain that to me how to work with the extender? Or can I only set the aperture that I want and that´s all?

Or do I have to set f5.6 at least and than only higher values (8,11,16 etc.) and with f2.8 the picture would be overexposed?

Thank you very much!

Your camera's meter will compensate for the light loss caused by the extender. You may set the lens at f/2.8 and the camera's light meter in auto mode will set the correct shutter speed.

I got a 2X extender recently mainly to use it with my 80mm F/1.4 to get a tele not requiring much light. The 2X Extender makes the 80mm F/1.4 into a 160 mm F/2.8 according to Leica's website (there is a list of lenses that the APO-extender works with on the website under the APO Extender). This is not the APO-extender but an older one. I find the result a bit milky and hard to get real sharp.

Dear Thorsten,

Your post has only just arrived in Australia. I think it comes by camel through Afghanistan, elephant to India, then sailing ship.

In response to your question, twenty or so years ago I bought the original Extender-R 2X (1980) and was so disappointed I asked and was given a replacement. The second one was no better so I sold it. They were never any good.

I subsequently bought the Apo-Extender-R 2X in the nineties and am very pleased with it. My only regret is it cannot be used on any of the Leicaflexes.

Best of luck and have fun.

Justin

• 4 years later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have a Lux 80 and a pre-APO Summicron 90 and am curious about their results when paired with the 2x APO extender on a Sony A7R. I understand the optical limitations, that it may make more sense to crop, that there're some good and cheap 180mm's, etc., etc.

If anyone has sample photos from these lenses taken with the APO 2x extender I'd be grateful to see them. Thanks.

(Above Thorsten Overgaard posted links to the samples he took with Lux 80 and Lux 50 e55 with the inferior non-APO 2x extender, but the posts have apparently been deleted.)

Well, I went ahead and bought an Apo 2x extender. Have only had time to try it with the Lux 80 and (just out of curiousity) Lux 35 and Cron 35 briefly on my A7R. So far resolution seems respectable.

Interesting to note: there's no light gain between f/1.7 and f/1.4 through the APO 2x extender (as others have claimed above), but there is actually light gain from f/2 to f/1.7.

• 4 years later...

Dear Thorsten,

Regarding the 1.4x APO-Extender (model 11 249)

- This one only exists without ROM contacts.

- because of its protuberance it can only be attached to the 180mm f2.0 APO, the second version of the180mm f2.8 APO, 280mm f2.8 APO, 280mm f4.0 APO, 400mm f2.8 APO, 400mm f4.0 APO, 560mm f4.0 APO, 560mm f5.6 APO, 800mm f5.6 APO  and 105-280mm f/4.2

- Not to the 28-90mm f2.8-4.5

Edited by Leicaiste
  • Like 1

On 4/26/2007 at 1:51 PM, Overgaard said:

I got a 2X extender recently mainly to use it with my 80mm F/1.4 to get a tele not requiring much light.

The 2X Extender makes the 80mm F/1.4 into a 160 mm F/2.8 according to Leica's website (there is a list of lenses that the APO-extender works with on the website under the APO Extender).

This is not the APO-extender but an older one. ...

I find the result a bit milky and hard to get real sharp. I also did some tests with the 50mm F/2.0 which I will post a bit later.

The 2x Extender-R isn't quite as good optically as the APO version is, but it will return excellent results depending on the primary lens it is being used with AND the aperture that you're using. The R80/1.4 is likely not the best lens to use with it, particularly wide open ... Ultra-fast lenses like that are rarely at their best wide open. Here are a couple of sample photos I made with it using the CL body and two different lenses: 

Leica CL + Elmarit-R 135mm + 2x Extender-R
ISO 800 @ f/4 @ 1/4k

The R135+extender makes a good 3D macro setup. That's at about 5.5 foot distance and near wide open for limited DoF. Note that the model is 1:43 scale and is about 4 inches long. 

This next little test shows how it looks going from wide open to two stops down with the R180/4 (Elmar-R): 

Leica CL + Elmar-R 180mm f/4 + 2x Extender-R
(wide open aperture)

(two stops down)

I think the 2x Extender-R is quite a nice performer if you take into account its limitations, and it only cost me $60. :D

Edited by ramarren
  • Like 4

At the far extreme of use, I have been trying the 2X APO Extender with the MR 500mm Telyt-R, on my CL and SL.  I did not really expect it to work at all or to be so awful as to be unusable. I was pleasantly surprised that it was really quite good. I am in the UK for the next two days, so I have none of the results with me but when I get back to France, I will post something. Obviously, it is a good performer with the 50mm Summicron-R and 80-200 Vario-Elmar-R, which is what I bought it for. 

Wilson

Just got the R 135 f/2.8 v.2 to pair with my 2X APO Extender (which I've always used with the R 80-200 f/4), and this is a very quick shot off my porch. On the CL @ = 400 mm.

Edited by bags27
  • Like 2

And a few minutes later, Mr. and Ms. House Finch dropped by. Same kit.

• Like 4

and again, with the male in slightly better focus, but less charm

• Like 4

Here is a photo with the 500 MR-Telyt and APO 2X Extender of a house about 1.5 km or more away from my house taken on the CL so 1500mm EFOV. Inevitably at this distance there is quite a bit of atmospheric softening and haze, but I am surprised that it is not a lot worse. When I tried the same thing with my 1200 Zeiss modular Tele-Tessar on my SL, it was a bit worse than this and with the 560/5.6 Telyt I used to have, quite a lot worse. I also post a much nearer shot of a house about 250 metres away. Neither of these shots are cropped. The point of focus on the nearer photo was the wall behind the table. Even at an invariable f16, the DOF of this lens is very shallow. 

Wilson

PS a more rigid tripod than my very lightweight wooden Berlebach would almost certainly have improved both shots on a very windy day like today. 

Edited by wlaidlaw
  • Like 1

Given the huge effective focal length, and the commensurate capacity for magnifying any vibrations, I think you've done well to get it even as sharp as this.  With my 280/4 R + 2X Apo Extender (so "only" 560mm) I find I have to take every possible precaution to avoid vibrations transmitted through the tripod. I've got a sturdy Manfrotto carbon fibre 055 tripod and Manfrotto geared head. I once used this combination to photograph the main ceiling boss in the central tower of York Minster, and, even on the concrete floor of the Minster, it was a problem. (Mirror lock-up, timer delay, legs unextended - the usual stuff - notwithstanding!)