Clean the chrome of the camera

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hey

I was wondering if I could clean the mark on my M4 it's not scratched, it's just a mark on the chrome. Water or something doesn't work. Are there any products available that doesn't damage the crome?

Many thanks

Jesse

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

No chance.

These are most likely rubmarks from the METRAWATT-MR-lightmeter. Older LEICA-M cameras got these marks regularly. Photogs in the old days didn´t bother, they enjoyed the lightmeter instead ...

Cleaning liquids won´t help.

Best

GEORG

Any chance to polish it in some way?

Jesse

Okay, okay I get the point :) I'm using this camera as my main. But just wanted to check if I could manage to clean it. As I am making a "panda" version of it.

Any chance where I can find black shutter dials, advance levers etc?

Thanks for the help :)!

Edited by Jessestr

Any chance to polish it in some way?

Jesse

You might try some (here in America it's called) baking soda. Comes in boxes and big bags. NOT baking powder, which comes in small-ish cans. You can do almost anything with baking soda as a cleaner. Pour a little bit in a saucer. Drape a cotton cloth over your finger and wet it, not drippng wet. Dip it in the baking soda and rub on the marks, gently, until you see if any progress is being made. Then go from there.

N.B. - I have cleaned any number of things with baking soda. Brushed my teeth with it too, and have never damaged anything, especially anything as hard as chrome. But it's you Leica, get it? So be careful; you're on your own.

s-a

It's hard to tell from that photo, but most chrome Leica Ms from that era develop bright marks and are quite common over time. Most do come from using the hot shoe meter on the top plate; mine has bright marks (that's what these marks are 'officially' called.) If you note descriptions of cameras for sale, they often say things like "minor bright marks" etc..

In your case it almost looks like dirt. You can try using a gum eraser and see that removes it (if it's indeed a 'dirt' mark.) Otherwise I would leave it alone. Don Goldberg (DAG) told me not to ever clean with any solvents and just leave bright marks alone as there's nothing really to be done about them.

Here are two images of my M4 with bright marks from a meter. As you can see (in the 2nd image) the marks go away depending on the reflection of the light on the chrome surface.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

p.s., just wanted to say that after looking at your image again, it's obvious that someone has used a hot shoe meter and was a bit rough with it. Normally they develop bright marks from the meter (taking it on and off) but in your case there are indentations from the meter casing on the top plate itself. It's possible it was banged from the top with the meter on at some point in its career. Anyway, I'd just leave it as it is. Again, a gum eraser will definitely clean the chrome up from dirt and grime; and I personally would not use any solvents or cleaners.

I fully agree with the advice not to use any sort of abrasive, like baking soda.

The chrome of your top plate is satin finish. Where the scuffs appear from the meter it is where the satin finish has been 'polished', not to a shine, but enough to flatten the fine texture. Using an abrasive will do the same as the meter, it could flatten the texture of the satin chrome finish and you'll end up damaging an even greater area.

It is hard to say from your photo if it is just dirt, ingrained plastic (like the satin finish has abraded some plastic and that is caught in the texture of the chrome, or if it really is a typical scuff from the meter. I wouldn't use anything other than naphtha (lighter fuel) on a soft cloth.

Steve

It' isn't dirt can peel of.. It's like "in" the chrome.

A bit like wood dust caught in sandpaper? I'd still try a mild solvent like naphtha, but the idea of an eraser mentioned further up may work. Just try it on the edge of the bottom plate or somewhere inconspicuous first.

Steve

Watch it: with a (very sharp working) eraser, things will get worse!

Try stuff you have at hand (Ballistol?) for softcleaning. Don´t buy anything special. Leave it or get

LEICA to change the topplate if you really can´t live with it. LEICA-Solms should still be in a position

to rebuild your camera. Even as a panda version. Just enquire.

One of my M-cameras I had painted black because I hated the marks. A very expensive route.

I now I got to the point that I should have left it ...

Best

GEORG

• Like 2

Try stuff you have at hand (Ballistol?) for softcleaning. Don´t buy anything special. Leave it or get

LEICA to change the topplate if you really can´t live with it. LEICA-Solms should still be in a position

to rebuild your camera. Even as a panda version. Just enquire.

One of my M-cameras I had painted black because I hated the marks. A very expensive route.

I now I got to the point that I should have left it ...

Best

GEORG

I see. Might talk to Solms for the Panda thing and the mark... It doesn't bother me at all, it's just... if I can get it off, why shouldn't I do it. But if I can't, nothing bad.

Waiting for my M4 to return. Will give it a shot on Friday :)

• Like 1

Thanks, "gum eraser" wasn't the right word. I meant to mean a "kneaded eraser" which is also called "artist's putty rubber." They aren't abrasive and instead absorb graphite (and dirt and other crud) instead of abrading it off....

• Like 2