M240 and Wireless SDHC cards

gabriel

Eye-Fi work fine .......

but for DNG's the transfer rate is veeerrrrryyyy slllloooowwww......

..... and the interface/software is limited and inflexible.

I wanted to be able to put my camera by the computer and find all my files in the folder I want without taking the card out ........ but you have to remember to switch 'standby' on the camera off .... and the software doesn't check to see if a file is already downloaded and does it all over again over-writing the existing ones on the computer.....

there is the facility to delete files as they are downloaded ... but only an idiot with blind faith in technology would rely on that without first checking everything was ok on the computer. :rolleyes:

If there was 3rd party software that enabled downloading in a more sensible manner I would use it......

but ......the Eye-Fi cards are the fastest 16gb ones I have ever used on the M .... presumably as they have a beefed up processor to handle the wireless functions....

• Like 1

Here in the UK there seem to be 3 makes of wifi cards available in various capacities

1.Eyefi

2.Sandisk (which I believe to be a rebadged Eyefi)

3 Transcend

None of the manufacturers specify compatibility with the M240 on their websites nor do they specify incompatibility.

It would be interesting which specific makes of cards forum members are using.

Eye-fi etc should work on anything as the wireless transmission feature is camera independent..... it just requires power from the camera battery.

Only issue with Leica was the metal baseplate on previous M's that reduced range to centimetres.

That's the only change ...... the plastic filled slot in the bottom.....

Still doesn't get round the fact that it's a great idea in theory .... but a poor one in practice if you shoot DNG only......

I recently got an Eye-fi card and used it in my Ricoh GR. It is a very frustrating experience. I tried to link to my ipad, iPhone & MBP and you have to manually switch to each device each time you want to use one. It was flaky and slow. I've not tried it on my M but it was slow enough moving a 16mp Dng so would imagine moving a 24mp dng would be wall punching experience