Leica X Vario Photos

Feudal1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

4 minutes ago, Photomic38 said:
Hi everyone, I'm back on the forum. Managed to find the last two batteries available in France to reactivate my brave X-Vario which is still like new! Chanaz Canal, France

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

X-Vario a forever ‘star’ - I was always astounded at the images it produced. 🍷

• Like 6

Hi all.

It’s now 2023, and I decided to pickup a 10 year old typ 107, because… why not ?

If I recall the reviews from 2013, the internet experts tell me that it’s a “slow lens”, and I’m better off with any other camera.

Very first test shot, into the painting shed, lights off, let’s try handheld hi iso at a dimly lit sign.

ooc jpeg, vivid color mode, zero adjustments, manual exposure, manual focus.

ooh nice ! 
this is exactly the look I’m shooting for to go with my film camera.

Good choice.

got the same shot / exposure on an iPhone 13 for comparison.

I won’t ruin the aesthetic by posting it here, so here is the link to view them side by side. https://www.flickr.com/gp/steveoc64/yHz51X8hL0

the iPhone, with all its modern advances, is obviously technically better and cleaner.

however, the XVario image is (to me) infinitely more appealing, and I can’t put my finger on why.

The iPhone shot looks like a clinical record of fact. The XVario image looks like a mischievous invitation to fun.

what do you think ?

Edited by Steveoc64
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, wda said:

Well done. Your faith is confirmed. It is excellent with closeups.  I find it is a good all-rounder.  Mine is in constant use. This link to my website might help you. 

https://www.davidaskham.com/using-the-leica-x-vario

Funny you should mention that :)

yours is one of pages I read before pulling the trigger on my winning bid !

thank you for the writeup

• Like 1

Canal de Savieres

• Like 9

Autumn leaves

• Like 9

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Experiments with my (new) XVario, high ISO dynamic-monochrome

Purpose here is that I want to be able to use my XV as an advanced light meter for my film M, for BW street photography.

The idea is to be able to compose / expose / shoot with the XV to get the right "look" for the composition ...  and then use the same shutter speed on the film camera to get a good ballpark exposure  

(ie - shoot 50mm f/5.6 ISO-1600 on the XV == Same shutter speed at 50mm f/2.8 ISO-400 on the film camera for the same exposure. Easy)

anyway ... pretty surprised with the way the XV handles high ISO, and gives lovely film like "grain" instead of digital noise I think.

70mm equiv  f/6.4. 1/2000th.  ISO 3200

spiderwebs3200.jp2 lightbulb-3200.jp2

That's better. The forum backend didn't like the jpeg-2000 format (??), so it attached them as document links rather than images. Sorted now, thanks for pointing that out.

Anyway, was saying that using the XV to preview an exposure for a film shot seems like a good plan. A 2nd hand XV costs about the same as a good pro light meter, but the light meter cannot do full scene exposure previews for you :)

Here is a full crop at 1600 iso, with a subject that has a full range of black to white, with different textures. Pretty happy with that.  It is rather clean for 1600, and doesn't even look terribly "digital"

Similar 100% crop at iso 3200, that has light and dark + fine detail in the foreground  + background bokeh.  

Again, the noise / grain isnt overly "digital" to my eye, which is a pleasant surprise. I have this same scene shot with a range of camera/lens combos ... the cobweb picture from the XV here is similar to a high-end APSC + really good film era primes. "Modern" lenses on digital render this same scene very differently.

This Leica XV is a rather quirky, and very unique camera ! It pumps out perfect "film simulation" images, without even trying.

Note - because this little used part of the property is great for testing lens rendering, I let the spinner live in peace, and keep her web :)  Works better than flyscreens.

Note 2 - I find the current popular trend about "film simulations" on digital compacts to be completely ridiculous ... since the "simulations" they are getting excited over look nothing at all like film. I don't get it !!!!

• Like 5

Dinosaur country

Outback Queensland

Was vandalized, a federal crime

• Like 5

Whilst gardening near a wasps' nest, I 'disturbed' them – resulting in several wasps accessing my midriff. i.e., inside my shirt, and stinging me. Several stings later, my clothing was removed in the bathroom where one wasp flew onto the landing and entangled itself in the ceiling web of this Pholcus phalangioides (Daddy long legs) spider – their webs are loose and open cobwebs. Spider immediately rushed from its 'corner' to the wasp and spun a cocoon of silk around it – before commencing devouring the wasp's 'innards'. Spider's abdomen was noticeably larger after its meal and it continued to 'hug' the wasp for over 15 hours before releasing its prey. Shortly after the spider prepared its prey, I grabbed my X Vario, fitted a 4.92 diopter Elpro VIb close-up lens, and stood on a chair to photograph 'the couple'– using XV's built-in flash. Ten days later the wasp stings still 'itch'.  The spider has been happily residing on the ceiling for several weeks and likely captured a bigger meal than usual. 

Edited by dkCambridgeshire
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wda said:

Dunk, a challenging experience in your multifaceted life. How resourceful of you to capture that sequence of events. And with your ubiquitous Leica X Vario! I hope your recovery is complete.

Thank you David. The XV with various vintage Leitz Elpro close-up lenses (fitted via 43mm adapters) continues to be the most useful 'grab and go' solution for Q&D record pix. The Elpro c/u achromats were made by Agfa's 'Staeble Lens Co.' subsidiary.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Beach boy

• Like 8

Sydney as night closes in

xvario 28mm f/3.5

iso 1600, vivid with tungsten web, ooc pic

• Like 6

Sydney mid week shopping

xvario 28mm f/5 1/60

iso 1600, dynamic bw

Out of camera + crop

• Like 6

• Like 5

• Like 2

Second-hand dealing street

• Like 7