Leica X1 Photos

davidhunternyc

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I was expecting to find Alice and the caterpillar.

f2.8 1/30 ISO 500

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I can never remember what these trees are called, but they stick them in everyone's yard here.

f2.8 1/30 ISO 125

Keeping with the car theme.

f4 1/80 ISO 100

The dog is exhasperated that I keep snapping her picture instead of scratching her butt.

f2.8 1/30 ISO 2500

A couple attempts at homebrew macro.

f2.8 1/30 ISO 1250

f3.2 1/30 ISO 800

Iso 800 F2.8, note that the railings and pavilion structures are severely arched, not lens distortion.

Hmm, I guess I'll need to study up on how to embed from Flickr here. I'll work on it!;)

I couldn't embed from Picasa. You click Manage Attachements and upload the photos to this server. Then you click manage attachments again to insert them into the post.

• Like 1

Hi Mah, I just checked out your images and they are superlative. You have a great eye and the X1 really shines. There is no arguing about the photos taken by the X1's into the Getty images archive.

Thank you.

Guest xCorpsman

232323232%7Ffp63282%3Enu%3D32%3C2%3E67%3A%3E9%3A%3A%3EWSNRCG%3D34%3C67%3B4%3B3%3A337nu0mrj

High Contrast Black and White JPEG (f5, 1/200, ISO 100), standard sharpness, cropped and re-sized for the web, no other post-processing applied.

I have noticed that this thread has moved over to the Photo Forum and I am a bit disappointed by it. I bookmarked the Leica X1 Forum specifically so I don't have to go to other parts of the forum (which looks somewhat congested and confusing at times). It would just be so nice to have a dedicated thread that contains only photos taken with the X1 on the X1 forum. In addition, it would be great to discuss and dissect the photos with the X1's strengths and weakness in mind. I guess I have been usurped. : (

Had I the power, I would have moved it to Flickr. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

True, but I await an answer to my question.

Alternately, please link us to your images shared on this site so we may see what meets your standard. I just looked at the last couple of shots you posted.. to be honest I don't see anything in them that would represent the superiority of the m9/zeiss 50 over the x1.. maybe because both seem to have slightly missed focus or be a bit soft? Do you have more you think demonstrate the superiority of the m9?

Edited by h00ligan

Spot metering with the X1.

• Like 1

None of these shots would motivate me to acquire an X1.

Are these the best the camera is capable of?

No. They are merely the best the photographers are capable of. As far as I know, there isn't a camera made that will make a person a better photographer.

Do you have a link to your work?

• Like 1

X1 .... later in the evening, sun was setting.....

• Like 3

The only person I could get to keep perfectly still .....

So I ordered an X1, got it after 3 months, took a tour of our new golf course under construction on day 2. I shot using an overly pessimistic F11.

Went on holiday to France a few weeks later and found the X1 sort of liberating. I used my 5DmkII on all city trips but left it in the hotel when we went for a 6-hour hike down and up the river. Nice landscape, nice inns along the Dole between FR and CH near Goumois (FR). Used the X1 for some action shots at a kayaking place. No issues with autofocus.

Took another trip on my motorbike, which is what I really bought the X1 for -- my BMW tank bag easily takes the Canon but doesn't leave much room for anything else such as my wife's photo gear -- and rolled down the Mosel river, where history doesn't need to begin in the 19th century.

Went home, rode down another river to avoid the roadworks and opened the lens to F2.8 which I ought to have done earlier.

The Leica viewfinder was used for _all_ photos and I do not intend to remove it from the X1. However, the LCD is nice when one needs a quick histogram before or after shooting and perhaps for some distance adjustment -- haven't got that issue sorted yet. Autofocus ought to be quite a bit quicker and I'd prefer not to have to waste space on JPG.

Perhaps I'll comment the bag or case issue in another thread; I haven't any problems.

• Like 4

I spent the night out at the marina hoping to catch some photos of the meteor shower. Sadly, I only saw four meteors all night, and I wasn't quick enough to catch any of them. However, here's a few shots around the marina. All were taken between 10 and 11 p.m. in total darkness at f2.8, 1 second, ISO 3200. The raw files had a bit of a pink tone, so I had to adjust the white balance a bit, and then I dropped the exposure to -1.75, so that it looks like more like night.

• Like 3