I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

On 1/31/2022 at 4:25 PM, Ernest said:

Folding Diptych
M-A APO 50 Fuji Natura + Rolleiflex f/2.8 Planar E100
Steel/stucco 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

As so many others have already noted, these images are really wonderful. They must look great on a wall in a big print. Thanks Ernest!

Edited by romquest
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

“Why are we here?” 

m3, summicron 50 rigid, delta 400 (dd by Malvarrosa), printed on mgfb and scanned

• Like 15
  • Haha 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Jerusalem, 2022

XPan | 45mm f/4 | Foma Fomapan 100, Rodinal 1:50

• Like 15

Am 4.2.2022 um 13:40 schrieb Wayne:

Oh great fuzzy beast

Witness to my best, and least

Abide,

Old friend.

Nagel Pupille (127 camera,) 50/3.5 Elmar, 35mm Ilford HP5 rolled into old 127 backing paper.  ISO 1600

Ode to the dog. No question she deserves it. And how graciously she accepts and owns it !   btw: always avoided the hassle with the 127 format-- your  idea with rolling 35mm into some old backing paper is really ingenious. 

vor 22 Stunden schrieb Wayne:

I guess the "Undefined" concept has crept into my sub-conscious mind.  Very cleansing.

Nagel Pupille, 50/3.5 Elmar, HP5 at 1600

Wayne, you are on to something here. We are all influenced by what we see..didn´t the old greeks say that looking at beautiful things makes beautiful minds? What I like here is the rhythm of the verticals and the horizontal lines. ( Rog creeping into your subconscious mind too ?) Broken by some clouds attracting our curiosity---fire ? power plant ? geothermal activity ?  and a humble and mundane trash can. We are back in reality. 

vor 21 Stunden schrieb Wayne:

Impulse shot

Nagel Pupille, 50/3.5 Elmar, HP5 at 1600

Beautiful. This picture is exuding the aptitude to accept things as they are... Ok, weather isn't nice. Feet are cold. And this trolley should just not have been left there.  But here we have an interesting graphic situation: Lost shopping cart guiding our view from the foreground to the row of parked cars and the signboard explains it all. Photo taken, story told. 

vor 17 Stunden schrieb Ernest:

Repair Planning Polyptych
MP APO 50 E100

Rog, I´m wowed!  This double diptych is so good, I´d like to steal it. A wonderful color palette, a satisfying composition ( is there a special term addressing this crossing correspondence of elements ?  ), an enigmatic, perhaps post-apocalyptic  scenery and enough questions remaining.... btw  what happened to the pool attendant after  Mad Max and his  troupe left ? 

• Like 1

Rhine Falls from Schaffhausen (Switzerland), about 1966, photograhed with my first camera (Adox-camera, black-and-white-film):

• Like 19

2 hours ago, Kl@usW. said:

Rog, I´m wowed!  This double diptych is so good, I´d like to steal it. A wonderful color palette, a satisfying composition ( is there a special term addressing this crossing correspondence of elements ?  ), an enigmatic, perhaps post-apocalyptic  scenery and enough questions remaining.... btw  what happened to the pool attendant after  Mad Max and his  troupe left ? 

Thanks so much, Dr. Klaus, for your generous, probing comments. I can't think of a "special term" for the criss-cross correspondence of elements, though "zigzag zany" comes to mind, but it's definitely knocking on the door of the post-apocalyptic portal. I'll have to get my Mad Max letters of transit in order before the new order starts rounding up the usual suspects. I might have to borrow your water buffalo.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Kl@usW. said:

Ode to the dog. No question she deserves it. And how graciously she accepts and owns it !   btw: always avoided the hassle with the 127 format-- your  idea with rolling 35mm into some old backing paper is really ingenious. 

Wayne, you are on to something here. We are all influenced by what we see..didn´t the old greeks say that looking at beautiful things makes beautiful minds? What I like here is the rhythm of the verticals and the horizontal lines. ( Rog creeping into your subconscious mind too ?) Broken by some clouds attracting our curiosity---fire ? power plant ? geothermal activity ?  and a humble and mundane trash can. We are back in reality. 

Beautiful. This picture is exuding the aptitude to accept things as they are... Ok, weather isn't nice. Feet are cold. And this trolley should just not have been left there.  But here we have an interesting graphic situation: Lost shopping cart guiding our view from the foreground to the row of parked cars and the signboard explains it all. Photo taken, story told. 

Klaus, thanks for the comments. Ode to the dog, just struck me one evening. I think you are correct about Roger being in my sub conscious mind. His masterful work just sort of sticks with me, all the time; and I have enjoyed the "Undefined" thread.

Further on "Undefined:"

In Mark Twain's great book Life on the Mississippi, at one point he opines about the disadvantage of finally qualifying as a riverboat pilot:.." Once I had learned everything about the river, I had greater difficulty just seeing the beauty of the river." More than any other thing I have read of Twain's, that comment haunts my mind. I think it may have some corollary in film photography. Can't say just what it is, but "Undefined" and Roger's work push Twain and his obvious love for the river forward in my mind.  

I ran into something on WWW that really eased the pain of rolling 35mm film into old 127 backing paper. Essentially, leave the film in the 35mm cassette and withdraw it as you unroll the backing paper, allowing the roll of 127 backing paper to roll back up as you lay the film down in the paper. Cut a very small notch in the edge of the backing paper at the point where the film strip should end so you can feel it in the dark bag. Following this, you have the film in the paper, and it is just a matter of rolling the film back up, with the spindle (you removed the spindle before you started the process. When you roll it up to the point where you initially taped the film to the backing paper it will be necessary to detach the film end from the paper and reattach it to allow the film to flatten against the paper.  The 35mm cassette is very similar in width to the 127 paper; using the cassette as a guide, it is easier to keep the film centered in the paper. It is still somewhat fiddly, but no more so that when I re-roll 120 film onto 620 spindles for use in the Original Rolleiflex camera. The Elmar/Pupille is just to good to leave on the shelf.

Thanks again.

• Thanks 4

vor 12 Minuten schrieb Wayne:

Klaus, thanks for the comments. Ode to the dog, just struck me one evening. I think you are correct about Roger being in my sub conscious mind. His masterful work just sort of sticks with me, all the time; and I have enjoyed the "Undefined" thread.

Further on "Undefined:"

In Mark Twain's great book Life on the Mississippi, at one point he opines about the disadvantage of finally qualifying as a riverboat pilot:.." Once I had learned everything about the river, I had greater difficulty just seeing the beauty of the river." More than any other thing I have read of Twain's, that comment haunts my mind. I think it may have some corollary in film photography. Can't say just what it is, but "Undefined" and Roger's work push Twain and his obvious love for the river forward in my mind.  

I ran into something on WWW that really eased the pain of rolling 35mm film into old 127 backing paper. Essentially, leave the film in the 35mm cassette and withdraw it as you unroll the backing paper, allowing the roll of 127 backing paper to roll back up as you lay the film down in the paper. Cut a very small notch in the edge of the backing paper at the point where the film strip should end so you can feel it in the dark bag. Following this, you have the film in the paper, and it is just a matter of rolling the film back up, with the spindle (you removed the spindle before you started the process. When you roll it up to the point where you initially taped the film to the backing paper it will be necessary to detach the film end from the paper and reattach it to allow the film to flatten against the paper.  The 35mm cassette is very similar in width to the 127 paper; using the cassette as a guide, it is easier to keep the film centered in the paper. It is still somewhat fiddly, but no more so that when I re-roll 120 film onto 620 spindles for use in the Original Rolleiflex camera. The Elmar/Pupille is just to good to leave on the shelf.

Thanks again.

Thank You, Wayne. 

The Nagel Pupille appealed to me since i first heard of it: Maybe i just have to give in and look for a nice copy. "Pupille" actually being something I looked at for decades earning my bread. And the beauty of it never vanished. 

And now I even know how to get a working film for it !

K. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Christmas 2021, a Yew tree somewhere in a Kentish Wood.

Nikon F, Elmarit-R 35 (II), Fujicolor 200, Nikon CS5000ED.

• Like 9

A man and a woman

Leica M5 - 35 Summilux - Ilford fp4

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

Flying with Leica M5 - Non stop shots

• Like 17

Moon light shadow

Carl Zeiss Tele-Tessar 350mm + duplik - Nikon F4 - Ilford Delta Pro 3200

Edited by leicamour
  • Like 18

On 2/4/2022 at 11:29 PM, Ernest said:

Repair Planning Polyptych
MP APO 50 E100

I'm really loving your work - it stands out in this forum

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1