I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Vacancy

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Kiev III, Soviet Sonnar 50mm 2, FP4

• Like 9

Edge of the flood water

Minox B, Kodak Plusx

Edited by Wayne
  • Like 13

Different views of the same bike.

SWC

Delta 100

R09 1:50

Gary

• Like 15

And Pen FT with 38mm

Delta 100

R09 1:50

Gary

• Like 13

So here's a photo of all of the component parts of that old laptop, at least as far as I was able to unscrew and remove them. There were a lot of screws, see lower left (if anyone wants to count them, here's a larger image). And look at that copper heat sink...And, because I couldn't resist, a sort of silly still life :) Both shot with the 40 Distagon and Ektar.

26555836558_2808493886_b.jpg

Flickr

25555712597_c36a51024a_b.jpg

Flickr

• Like 16

I like the look of film and would contribute more, but it takes me a l-o-n-g l-o-n-g time to fire off 36, and even longer if I'm using my 1/2 frame. It's not that I'm parsimonious, it's more a case of finding something worthy to deserve a capture. I think I'm missing a Point of Departure in my work.

You're not alone in this Steve. Even 30++ years ago when I had my darkroom, I used to cut the partially exposed film and develop it because I couldn't wait to finish the entire roll :) Now sometimes a roll may stay in the camera for 1-2 months, especially that I tend to have all three cameras loaded with different emulsions. Patience, patience :)

Ah, im not alone!

I have loads of film in the fridge, but given my rate of use I think I need to shift it to the freezer. I probably have enough to last me to the grave.

Steve , may be because you continue to shoot digital that's the reason

For me 8 years with digital M are enough because  I believe in FILM

so no freeze for me

NYC

Portra 400

IIIg, 28 summaron

Adam remarkable and breathtaking street photos like in the beginning 3 years ago

Wonderful color of Portra 400 . Thanks for sharing Adam .

Best

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry

The Four Courts

Dublin, Republic of Ireland

June, 1998

M6, 50mm Summicron, Astia

The Four Courts by Jay Burleson Seattle, on Flickr

Very nice shot.

I was there last October and the dome was under construction.

I believe this is the little bridge on the left.

M6, Summicron 35 asph, Tri-X 400, HC-110 dil B

40552396551_3837fdf275_b.jpg

20171010-DSCF0284 by antoniofedele, on Flickr

• Like 15

It's simply UV. The atmospheric filtration is lower at high altitudes so you get a blue cast in the photos. If you look at old film era filter catalogs, they used to offer different warming filter strengths for different altitudes. The weakest used to be called skylight and was the equivalent of a UV filter on b/w.

PS: Here: https://www.schneideroptics.com/pdfs/filters/BWHandbook.pdf page 20/21

I agree with Edward's response and will add the following.

When you're looking at the blue sky from sea level you're looking through nearly 2 miles more air than when you're at high altitude such as Ladakh that you've mentioned.  The air contains particles and the photons will inevitably collide with some of those particles between the upper atmosphere and your eye.  

Since the suns rays come from so far away they're more or less in parallel with each other as they reach the upper atmosphere but every time there is a collision with an air-borne particle a photon will lose a proportion of its energy and be deflected from its parallel path onto another random path.  The sky will seem bluest when the largest number of photons strike your retina.  As your eye descends from 3,000 metres (1.86 miles) at Ladakh to sea level there will be more opportunities for photons to collide with air-borne particles and therefore at sea level the number of 400 nm (blue) photons reaching your eye at all will be fewer so the sky will appear to be a less concentrated blue colour.

Pete.

Thanks for your enlightening replies, Edward and Pete.

Now, I have plenty of reading material!  :)  ...and much to learn.

It is a privilege to be amongst such a fine, knowledgeable and friendly a group of gentlemen photographers.

• Like 5

So here's a photo of all of the component parts of that old laptop, at least as far as I was able to unscrew and remove them. There were a lot of screws, see lower left (if anyone wants to count them, here's a larger image). And look at that copper heat sink...And, because I couldn't resist, a sort of silly still life :) Both shot with the 40 Distagon and Ektar.

26555836558_2808493886_b.jpg

Flickr

25555712597_c36a51024a_b.jpg

Flickr

Knolling. There's a new word for you.

• Like 4

Steve , may be because you continue to shoot digital that's the reason

For me 8 years with digital M are enough because  I believe in FILM

so no freeze for me

Adam remarkable and breathtaking street photos like in the beginning 3 years ago

Wonderful color of Portra 400 . Thanks for sharing Adam .

Best

Henry

Henry, I haven't lifted a digital for a while now. I think it's more not 'seeing', and of course needing good light which has been in short supply. I have some ideas and Spring is here already, meteorologically speaking.
  • Like 1

I'm back with another shot from my light leak series:

Rollei Prego micron - Agfa Vista 100

• Like 13

Slide. Coolscan V.

Early 1990s, mid winter. Late night busker in the dilapidated entrance of the Cafe de Paris on Coventry St, London. The Cafe de Paris has had a chequered history even in my lifetime, being variously virtually derelict, then very very fashionable.Then neglected. Now the club is refurbished and seems successful again. Has always had a theme of cabaret and burlesque on at least some night of the week. Several well known films have used it as a location.

Edited by Adrian Lord
  • Like 15

So what does one do when waiting for the flight to Pristina, Kosovo? Take pictures of course. Or, rather, take one picture because armed guards were around for some inexplicable reason.

Frankfurt Airport Terminal 1 Hall AB

39427930195_126dee81e2_b.jpg

Flickr

40/4 Portra 400VC (expired) at EI100

• Like 16