Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Fall in the Northwest

Hillside, Stevens Pass, Washington

October 1992

M6, 90mm Tele-Elmarit, Velvia

25617103557_f2e13bbdfb_b.jpg

Fall in the Northwest by Jay Burleson Seattle, on Flickr

Wonderful colors, Jay. May I ask about your scanner and software used? I’m always interested to know how velvia is scanned. Edited by edwardkaraa
  • Like 4

Wonderful colors, Jay. May I ask about your scanner and software used? I’m always interested to know how velvia is scanned.

Thank you.

Scanner was a Nikon Super CoolScan 5000 ED and Vuescan.

Don't remember any settings or details, as I haven't had it since 2005. But that combination scanned everything and did it well.

• Like 2

Thank you.

Scanner was a Nikon Super CoolScan 5000 ED and Vuescan.

Don't remember any settings or details, as I haven't had it since 2005. But that combination scanned everything and did it well.

Jay , I am curious to know for each of your pictures the size in TIFF ?

with VS you scan in DNG or TIFF ?

Really nice color in your picture.

I scan in TIFF in 16 bits and with Nikon software

Thanks

Best

Henry

Briare 2003 sunday morning

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

m4-2 Voigtländer 4.5/15 Ektachrome

Joachim

• Like 16

Epiphany:

For years I hav I pursued the "vintage" photo look. Unfortunately, I have been on the wrong path the whole time: it has very little to do with camera or lens; is almost entirely related to the film used. I was conversing with another person about comparison with flooding along the Ohio in 37 and expressed/joked: If all goes to plan, these photos will look like the 37 flood. I think I am close. I love the anonymity given by lack of resolution: not any particular mother and daughter.... almost any mother and daughter.

IIIA, Zeiss Jena 50mm 1.5 Sonnar LTM, Orwo DP31 ISO 3

Edited by Wayne
  • Like 14

Hoosiers

"I heard it has crested up river, in Cincinnati......"

IIIA, Zeiss Jena 50mm 1.5 Sonnar LTM (Wide open in broad daylight,) Orwo DP31 ISO 3

• Like 15

Thanks a lot Eoin. That is my own favourite too :) 

These are all wonderful, Philip, but this is the stand-out for me. Each time I look, it reminds me of coconut trees...

Hej Helge, wonderful story. You must have seen so many interesting things while in China. I hope you'll post more. The one from Folgefonna is also lovely.

Thanks. In my former life ;) , I spent quite some time in China; always bringing two Mamiya 7 bodies and the 43, 65 and 150 mm lenses with me. One body was equipped with ir film, the other with Fuji Provia 100F. And we are talking about loads of film... As co-leader of a scientific research institute in Beijing, I had the chance to travel around in China, visiting remote places, staying at farmer's houses and, once, visiting the Mt Everest base camp on the Chinese side. The evening photo from the base camp was taken during this stay. I remember freezing cold nights and very warm days; a burning sun - and constant altitude sickness... The Chinese colleagues were even more reduced than me, so I went solo with my backpack and tripod to freeze the impressions. I remember I was only able to walk for 5-10 min, then I had to rest for some minutes, before continuing. Quite an experience... And quite a place. Nothing special for alpinists, but very special for the lowlanders among us...

Thanks Adam, I actually had to scan it a few times, and using different workflows, to get the image to look like the slide, which is extremely blue.

Very dramatic, Philip.  A case in which the extreme blue shadows takes over the image in an artistic sense.

Very nice Joachim. An excellent still life.

to much cheap% 

1977 on the Yonne river after a trip with a rowing boat on the Canal de Bourgogne

attachicon.gifunbenannt-0002-3-Bearbeitet-Bearbeitet.jpg

Praktika Ltl Pentacon auto 50mm Fp4

Rgds

Joachim

Haha, looks like an alien.

NYC, Tri-X, IIIg, 28 summaron

This is wonderful Jay, unbelievable colours.

Fall in the Northwest
Hillside, Stevens Pass, Washington
October 1992
M6, 90mm Tele-Elmarit, Velvia

25617103557_f2e13bbdfb_b.jpg
Fall in the Northwest by Jay Burleson Seattle, on Flickr

This one is nice Ray. That DR is a cracking lens and works well with Pan F.

Thailand street scene

Leica M3, 50mm DR, Pan F 50

25618465657_8e6ebab127_o.jpg

• Like 6

A photo from the outskirt of the third largest glacier in Norway (Folgefonna), located close to the western coast where I live. I joined a group that crossed the glacier on ski; it typically takes 2-3 days, and it is quite popular in spring. After installing ourself in a cabin in the afternoon after 10+ hours on ski, and with the self-made dinner about to be served, the light shifted quickly and turned yellow-to-red. With the rest of the group about to enjoy the warm food, I headed out with the Mamiya in my hand. Shortly before the sun set in the ocean in west, I took several photos with low clouds sweeping over the glacier, constantly interfering with the warm light.

I remember I commented on the beautiful light and sun set when I was back in the cabin. The group didn't understand what I was talking about. But I guess the dinner was tasty; I was left with next to nothing... No problem, I enjoyed a biggie sandwich from my backpack, made at home two days earlier. More importantly and in contrast to the rest of the group, I brought home a particularly colourful memory from the glacier...

Mamiya 7, 65 mm, Fuji Provia 100.

Your mountain photographs Helge are wonderful, full of colour and emotion. Each text addition bring much enjoyment to the photograph and adds that personal touch.

• Like 4

Wow, my favorite thus far by a mile.  Such sublime colors!   Congrats!

A photo from the outskirt of the third largest glacier in Norway (Folgefonna), located close to the western coast where I live. I joined a group that crossed the glacier on ski; it typically takes 2-3 days, and it is quite popular in spring. After installing ourself in a cabin in the afternoon after 10+ hours on ski, and with the self-made dinner about to be served, the light shifted quickly and turned yellow-to-red. With the rest of the group about to enjoy the warm food, I headed out with the Mamiya in my hand. Shortly before the sun set in the ocean in west, I took several photos with low clouds sweeping over the glacier, constantly interfering with the warm light.

I remember I commented on the beautiful light and sun set when I was back in the cabin. The group didn't understand what I was talking about. But I guess the dinner was tasty; I was left with next to nothing... No problem, I enjoyed a biggie sandwich from my backpack, made at home two days earlier. More importantly and in contrast to the rest of the group, I brought home a particularly colourful memory from the glacier...

Mamiya 7, 65 mm, Fuji Provia 100.

This is very intriguing, Joachim.  

Canal de Bourgogne 1977

attachicon.gifunbenannt-0001-118.jpg

Praktika Pentacon auto 50mm Hp5 Neofin red

Joachim

• Like 3