I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Ive been riding past this pond everyday for the last week and today I made an effort to go and shoot it with my Chamonix 45F2..............glad I did

4x5 Ilford Delta 100 Developed in LC29 using my new method

Neil

This is wonderfull, especially because it’s NOT snow. I bet that this one can become even better as a wet print, with deeper blacks so that the white trees splash out even more. Delta 100 can deliver that, I’d try Bergger warm tone fiberbased for that Edited by otto.f

m6, portra

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Gary, Phil, thank you very much. I wish I had lined up the camera better so the framing was more similar but, well, I didn't mainly because it was all hand-held on the go kind of shooting. And I think we were on our way to the train station to catch the Thalys back to the Netherlands.

That's an interesting exercise Philip - I prefer the first because of the blurry people - they, by conventional wisdom, should be the main subject, but as you've focussed on the screen, they become a colourful impressionist wash, and we're left to work out for ourselves what is going on. Thanks for that pairing.

Ah, you did take a couple, excellent. It would be good to compare them the one I shot with my T (digital).
All in all, an unforgettable day.

I really like this one Neil. It's delightful to look at. The one little thing I might try would be to tilt it ever so slightly to the right. I have the feeling that the horizon (and I realise it is very difficult to know where it is) is not straight. Then again it's only a feeling, probably caused by the slight bend in the waterline. In any event, it's a really pleasant photograph and I'm happy that you stopped and took a picture.

Ive been riding past this pond everyday for the last week and today I made an effort to go and shoot it with my Chamonix 45F2..............glad I did

4x5 Ilford Delta 100 Developed in LC29 using my new method

Neil

Very enjoyable Uli. I might have cropped it top right to give the tree an even stronger presence in the frame (and lose the pole to at lower right). But you shot at the perfect moment, catching the two figures playing. 

Contax IIa, Sonnar 1:1,5/50 mm, Kodak EliteChrom

attachicon.gifContax_Sonnar.jpg

I also think the lower part looks amazing, really nice. Is there any way to pull back the highlights digitally in the upper half? Doing that and separating out the many tones in Photoshop could bring the whole image to life. The image would then have a pretty cool contrast, with the smooth water at the bottom and the very detailed, buzy upper half.

Chamonix 4x5.............Initally I thought this was going to be an okay location but in reality it just looks to busy for my licking

Neil

Nice Adam, you caught a very interesting expression on the man's face and the composition and contrast with the visiting tourists to the right makes for a dynamic image. The colours look a bit muted and yellow though - was this at EI800? 

Blue collar - NYC  (last month  :))

M-A, 50 DR cron, Portra 400

attachicon.gifnew york.jpg

Very nice old fashioned abstract.

m6, kodak portra

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks, Philip.  I am not sure how I lucked out with this particular color palette. I'm not sure I pushed this roll since I shot it with my 50mm and I usually push only when using my 28mm.  I wish I could re-produce this old fashioned look at will in the right situations!

Nice Adam, you caught a very interesting expression on the man's face and the composition and contrast with the visiting tourists to the right makes for a dynamic image. The colours look a bit muted and yellow though - was this at EI800? 

• Like 1

My apologies. I have an annoying habit of reloading slightly better scans onto my Zenfolio account, so that the older picture disappears from these posts. I promise I won't touch it again now, honest:

p2661728262-5.jpg

This is another from 1987. I never paid this particular picture any attention - it has never been printed nor scanned, and has just sat in its negative sleeve for the past thirty years. But now that I take a closer look, I quite like it:

p2661728267-5.jpg

Aswan, Egypt 1987

Canon F1, FDn 50mm f1.4, FP4

Brilliant pair of photographs!

• Like 1

Very nice Neil. I think this is an even stronger composition than the previous one because the scene effectively becomes several horizontal bands of differing tones. This is very nice indeed. The one thing I preferred on the previous one, is the reflection of the bare trees. The big white spot distracts a bit. I guess you could consider cropping out a squatre on the first one? 

Another shot in Portrait mode

Thank you Charles. Fotografiska is right on the water and is a really nice museum, even though I don't always agree with which exhibitions they select or how they are set up within the museum's space. I wrote about that previously in this thread. A few years ago I arranged a meeting with one of the founders of the museum who told me that Fotografiska is meant to be a commercial enterprise and must so be in order to attract exhibitions. There has recently been a big debate in Sweden concerning the state's subsidising of public museums, which are basically free, which negatively affects private ones like Fotografiska particularly as some also put on photo exhibitions. Be that as it may, and I am on his side when it comes to free enterprise, I really did not like how they squished the important and truly heart-breaking exhibition by Magnus Wennman, Where the children sleep, in a little corner behind Martin Schoeller's massive portraits of celebrities. That made me sick.

The light in the Fotografiska resturant is particularly inspiring, something to do with the water perhaps and your photo Philip reflects that feeling.

• Like 2

Chamonix 4x5.............Initally I thought this was going to be an okay location but in reality it just looks to busy for my licking

Neil

Neil, I find scenes like this very challenging. I often go into a waterfall setting like this and find the same - just too much going on to distract from the flow of the waterfall.

Yesterday I picked a pretty beat up but still working Bronica ETRs body with few lenses for cheap 'ish. 

Fun little camera. 

Here with its 75mm 2.8 and FujiAcros film. 

They're a great system, and as cheap as chip now. I used one for many year doing weddings.

Gary

A slightly more modern J Deere...    :)  (Rolleicord Vb, HP5+).

One of the things I find especially interesting about the antique tractor hobby, at lease in USA, is that it is often something that involves interest from whole families Sometimes several generations. It is kind of neat to see Great Grandad's tractor being driven in a parade by a teenage great grandson.

Edited by Wayne
  • Like 2

Putting up the decorations for the festive season at the village..

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Agfa Vista 400

• Like 11

Hey Gary, 

What lenses did you find yourself using the most ?

I got the 50 ,75 and 150. 

I have noticed the 50mm to be somewhat soft but maybe it is me getting used to the system. 

SP.

With the primary function of getting through a wedding, usually it was simply the standard 75mm. Occasionally the 150, but given it was portraits etc any softness was probably welcome. I don't recall too much softness though.

The AE finder was a revelation in the Hasselblad era, giving auto-exposure for those moments when you had your mind elsewhere.

You'll love it, I've even considered picking another up.

Gary