I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

Another from the nearby (to my photo above) Wayland's Smithy, the neolithic era long barrow. BW400CN I think.

23965810577_6e6258bfb2_b.jpg

Could have done with some of that wonderful light yesterday when I took a stroll to the West Kennet Long Barrow with my Hasselblad 500C.  Talk about flat & dismal light !  I did take a few frames but don't hold out much hope for them.  :(  Certainly there was no chance of a shot of the interior unlike a couple of summer's ago - MP, 35mm Summaron f2.8, Portra 400.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 13

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

I am using the MOD 54 insert in combination with the Paterson tank. It works very well, however I wouldn't recommend that for 6 sheets using the changing bag. Up to 4 sheets it's fine

Steve I was having good frailty with the M0D54 until my Las attempt when I managed to put all 6 sheets in one side and lost 4 of them. Hence the new way which even in a changing bag is okay. I will get myself a Harrison tent for future film on the go deplorably

Neil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The "one-lunger," and my index finger, in semi-profile. He was curious about my strange looking camera, and upon learning that it, too, was a time traveler, gladly allowed a shot. He was off the tractor before I could ask him to stay mounted.

attachicon.gifimg259ab-2.JPG

Agfa Amb-Solette, Agfa 35mm Color Ambion, Fuji Superia 100.

That takes me back, the tractor I mean.  Great portrait!

I just tried a new method for developing 4x5 sheet film.

Using the Paterson 2 reel tank. I remove 4 sheets of film from there holders then individually bend them in half keeping the emulsion on the inside and securing them with a rubber band. Then I stand these up in the Paterson tank leaving the center pole in the tank to maintain light tight

I then process the film as normal.

I tried it this morning and it worked perfectly. I will post the pictures later when they are dry

That's called the taco method, I use the same technique. I did once have a film crease when I put the lid on, there isn't quite enough room in a 2 reel tank. I've just ordered a three reel tank to solve that issue.

• Like 1

I just tried a new method for developing 4x5 sheet film.

Using the Paterson 2 reel tank. I remove 4 sheets of film from there holders then individually bend them in half keeping the emulsion on the inside and securing them with a rubber band. Then I stand these up in the Paterson tank leaving the center pole in the tank to maintain light tight

I then process the film as normal.

I tried it this morning and it worked perfectly. I will post the pictures later when they are dry

They say that using a hair elastic is better for that trick, as it lets the chemicals soak through to the film underneath the elastic. Abot three years ago, when I first tried developing 4x5 and didn't want to buy a MOD 54 and the SP-445 wasn't invented, I came up with a foolproof way to develop two sheets in a tall steel tank. Details and photos in this thread at the large format forum. I ended up making three examples so with three tanks I could develop six sheets at a time. Now I use the SP-445!

Edited by chrism
  • Like 2

The "one-lunger," and my index finger, in semi-profile. He was curious about my strange looking camera, and upon learning that it, too, was a time traveler, gladly allowed a shot. He was off the tractor before I could ask him to stay mounted.

attachicon.gifimg259ab-2.JPG

Agfa Amb-Solette, Agfa 35mm Color Ambion, Fuji Superia 100.

Excellent, Wayne. The predecessor to this was the Lanz Bulldog, (later it was acquired by John Deere). These were popular in the Western Australian wheatfields, with a reliable 10.3 litre horizontal single-pot hot bulb engine...

• Like 2

An excellent question, Phil. I believe the answer is yes and no. I may have said this before so forgive me for repeating myself, but I believe that there has never in the history of photography been a better time to shoot film.

Sure, the number of available emuslsions is dwindling which is sad, but there are still lots of good ones left, and stocking up on disappearing ones is easy and comparably cheap. The current emulsions are really quite amazing compared to just a few decades ago.

Add to this that optical technology - much thanks to the development of digital photography - has reached levels only dreamt of earlier, which means that we have reached a sweet point in terms of image quality.

That being said, and speaking for myself of course, as much as I like shooting with amazing modern lenses, I love using older lenses. Old lenses are like books in a way, they mustn't be thrown away but need to be kept and taken out now and again and enjoyed.

Below...

23929695967_fec942348c_b.jpg

Flickr

This get's a definite "Wow!" from me, Philip.

• Like 4

From the edge of Badbury Hill (National Trust).  Rolleicord Vb, Acros 100.

• Like 18

somewhere in california, 2006

mp, 35mm, xp2

marseille, 2017

mp, 35mm asph, t-max 400

R6

24 Elmarit R

Portra 400

Plustek 8100

Gary

• Like 10