Yet another M240 v RX1 review

jrp

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Can someone who has the RX-1 and either the M9 or M240 post a picture of the two cameras side by side so I can get an idea of the size difference. There are no stores that carry the RX1 near me.

unfortunately the m9 is pictured without a lens, but maybe you can use this page for a first look.

• Like 1

I'm very interested in getting the RX-1 with EVF or the upcoming RX-2 (supposedly being announced late August if internet rumors are to be believed).

I find I need something pocketable more so than the M9/M240 but with excellent image quality. This Sony site states that it could fit in the front pocket of your jeans but I find that hard to swallow. RX1 Camera | Review | Sony Store (click under the Size tab)

Can someone who has the RX-1 and either the M9 or M240 post a picture of the two cameras side by side so I can get an idea of the size difference. There are no stores that carry the RX1 near me.

Here ya go. You can click on the different views to compare at different angles. The M240 is about 7mm deeper with the 35/2 ASPH attached: Comparison with 35/2 ASPH

p.s. As others have mentioned before, camerasize.com has the RX1's weight listed incorrectly. It is about 498 grams with the battery installed, so it is a little over half the weight of the M240+35/2 combo.

Edited by douglasf13
  • Like 2

Good comparison, shows how much bigger the RX1 lens is than the Leica. And how much smaller the body is.

I think if I end up getting one I will get a handgrip for sure.

Yeah, the RX1 lens is even bigger than it looks, because it extends all the way into the body, close to the sensor. That's why Sony/Zeiss could tune it to be such a great performer and have such a flat field, which is one of the advantages of a fixed lens design. Check out the size of the rear element! lens pic

I've found that a leather half-case provides about the right amount of extra hand grip, for me.

Edited by douglasf13

I'm very interested in getting the RX-1 with EVF or the upcoming RX-2 (supposedly being announced late August if internet rumors are to be believed).

I find I need something pocketable more so than the M9/M240 but with excellent image quality. This Sony site states that it could fit in the front pocket of your jeans but I find that hard to swallow. RX1 Camera | Review | Sony Store (click under the Size tab)

I would not try to put the RX1 in a jeans front pocket. Certainly not with a EVF attached. Wide pockets of a sport jacket could take it.

I use a Neoprene case (Leica M type: 14868) and with the EVF attached, two spare batteries, a card, and a shower cap (in case rain would surprise me) total weight is 728 g. Also due to its small size, pleasant to carry all day!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

You wear a shower cap all day?:eek:

It seems to be somewhat rare to have a shower cap in the camera case. But when in heavy rain one can pull the shower cap around the case and protect the camera for humidity.

I discovered that when wearing the shower cap in heavy rain, it doesn't offer protection to the camera!

I would not try to put the RX1 in a jeans front pocket. Certainly not with a EVF attached. Wide pockets of a sport jacket could take it.

I use a Neoprene case (Leica M type: 14868) and with the EVF attached, two spare batteries, a card, and a shower cap (in case rain would surprise me) total weight is 728 g. Also due to its small size, pleasant to carry all day!

Yeah, I do something similar with my RX1. I use an OP/TECH neoprene case (for rangefinders) with the OVF attached, and then I just keep a ziplock bag in my pocket with a battery and SD card inside. The ziplock bag can also be used to protect the camera from rain.

BTW, you may want to consider ditching that Leica neoprene case for an OP/TECH. I used to own both of them, and I did a water test by putting them both under a faucet. The water flows right through the neoprene of the Leica case, but it pools up on the OP/TECH case, until the pressure is enough to cause the water to start seeping through the seams of the case. The OP/TECH is MUCH more water resistant, although neither are obviously trustworthy in lots of water.

Edited by douglasf13

• 1 year later...
The RX1 is a nice camera, no doubt. Sony would have had a much bigger success on their hands, in my opinion, if they would have put an integrated viewfinder in it like the Fuji X100 or X20 even. Despite being full frame, this would have been possible within the same basic footprint; as a fixed lens camera this makes sense. The RX1 optical and electronic viewfinders are after-the-fact affairs (which is also why I'm not a big fan of the X1 and X2...) and they detract from the compact design.

No camera that has this cost and capability should ever be held away from your face like an iphone to take pictures. It's completely ridiculous. Everything else about the Sony is great; this one feature (or lack thereof) is a complete deal breaker for me. It shows Sony's bias as a consumer electronics manufacturer rather than a camera manufacturer (and the consumer electronics mentality is sadly dominating the camera business now...arguments about the 'necessity' of live view and debates over incremental differences in sensor size are proof of this).

I Totally disagree. There are many ways to take a picture, and there is no reason that a camera of high "cost and capability" needs to be smooshed up to your face in order to be credible imaging product. The rear-LCD approach to shooting flies under the radar in many situations, making you look less like a "pro" and more like a tourist (a tremendous benefit). It also makes it easier to take certain kinds of pictures.

The LCD-as-viewfinder is not a reflection of "consumer electronics mentality" infecting or "dominating" the camera business. I my view, the LCD-as-viewfinder makes many cameras (including the Leica M) better and more versatile. As a user of both the RX1 and the Leica M, I would not be nearly as satisfied with either product if the live-view feature was missing.

• Like 2

The RX1 is a camera I have regretted selling.

When I acquired my A7r I decided to sell the RX1 and use some of the funds to pay for a FE 35/2.8.

Big mistake. The FE 35/2.8 is absolutely no match for the 35/2 as on the RX1. Looking at the photographs from the OP I personally think the RX1 outshines the Summicron 35/2.

I was so disappointed with the FE 35/2.8 that I took a chance and sold it and purchased a V3 Summicron 35/2 to use with the A7r. It works very well but I still have a hankering for buying a RX1r (without the AA filter on the sensor) as it was a perfect camera to use (even with the external EVF).

Just my two cents.

LouisB

• Like 4

While I agree with much of what has been posted I have a different take. There are times when my body allows me to shoot with a M and a Noctilux. Other times it's down to the M and a Perar 35mm f3.5. Sony's RX100II with the external viewfinder is the last resort and a fine option if that's all that works. The shooting must go on.

I had high hopes for the LX100/Type 109. I am so thankful for the diopter defect that unfortunately plagues the early release of the Panny/Leica that led to the purchase of an RX1r. It produces amazing files and is quite easy to shoot in manual mode. With the diopter adjusted properly on the external viewfinder focus peaking is not needed. I treat it like an M, using the external viewfinder with both eyes open to overcome the inherent lag of live view. Though I prefer to shoot with a rangefinder the RX1r has become an essential tool in my bag. It is a awesome camera on it's own right and superb backup gun.