V-Lux 40 indoor sports photography

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This may be a beginner question, but I'm a new owner of a V-Lux 40. I was at an indoor swim competition sitting about 50-120 feet away from the swimmers and it was certainly low light. I tried various shooting modes (including sports) and several customer/manual settings. I could not get a good photo without a ton of motion blur. Is there a suggestion of settings which would be good under this scenario ? I'll spend time messing around with it as well, but wonder if someone had some input.

thx

You need to set a high ISO which will enable faster shutter speeds and also select as wide an aperture as possible ...which will also enable higher shutter speeds . So maybe try Aperture priority with ISO 800 and select maximum aperture ... also try higher ISOs but check results to find a usable ISO setting.

dunk

Dunk,

Just to be clear - you have the V-Lux 40 and not the V-lux 4, these tow cameras will react very differntly in these conditions, i also indoor sporting event photos .... you'll likely need to get the iso high as mentioned and be sure to set the white balance correctly...

i have and very recently bought the V-Lux 4: sometimes i am shooting at 1600 iso. However quaility begins to break down around 400, will hold at 800, and usable at 1600 so if it comes down to getting the shot you have to push the limits

Rich