Brand new M9 with shots already taken.

Twisted_Pixel

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi Folks,

I just became owner of a brand new Leica M9 and on using the camera found out that it had already taken around 54 exposures. Is this normal? Does new cameras from the Leica factory arrive with some shots taken on them, maybe for testing purposes ?

Appreciate your replies so as to be sure that it wasn't returned by someone and then the dealer resold it as a new one.

It also arrived with some dust particles on the sensor, was never expecting that for a brand new camera.

Thanks,

Ash

Hi Folks' date='

I just became owner of a brand new Leica M9 and on using the camera found out that it had already taken around 54 exposures. Is this normal? Does new cameras from the Leica factory arrive with some shots taken on them, maybe for testing purposes ?

Appreciate your replies so as to be sure that it wasn't returned by someone and then the dealer resold it as a new one.

It also arrived with some dust particles on the sensor, was never expecting that for a brand new camera.

Thanks,

Ash[/quote']

Yes that is typical number of shots for new camera. Don't have enough experience with the dust to say...

Most brand new cameras, except sealed P&S of course, arrive with dust (and sometimes grease) on the sensor.

You should have seen the sensor on my brand new Canon 5D MkII when I got it a while ago...

However, for the very first time since I have been buying digital cameras (including several Canon DSLRs and a couple of M8s and M9s), I was pleased to see that my M240 sensor was spotless upon arrival. Lucky draw, I guess.

Most brand new cameras, except sealed P&S of course, arrive with dust (and sometimes grease) on the sensor.

Its reasonable to expect a bit of grease to get thrown on the sensor in the first few shutter actuations, particularly if taking elevated subjects. It is also reasonable to expect the sensor of a brand new camera to be clean.

Its reasonable to expect a bit of grease to get thrown on the sensor in the first few shutter actuations, particularly if taking elevated subjects. It is also reasonable to expect the sensor of a brand new camera to be clean.

You are 100% right - unfortunately, my expectations were never met (until recently) by either Canon or Leica. I do not have first-hand experience with other brands, but I have been told similar stories by Nikon and Sony DSLR owners.

Perhaps this is because the cameras are tested before shipping and this is when those first few shutter actuations happen?

Guest tanks
You cannot check this on the M240......

No doubt to prevent queries just like this ......:p

Or the magic pushbutton sequence to bring it up on the info panel is not discovered yet.