Brand new MP/M-A/M6 film scratches [Merged]

Advertisement (gone after registration)

36 minutes ago, hdmesa said:

To rewind the film, you must flip the release lever on the front of the camera. This releases the film spool and allows you to use the rewind knob or crank to rewind the film.

If the release lever is not flipped all the way over with a good amount of pressure, the film spool will release but still be under too much tension. This means the film is being held too tightly against the pressure plate as it’s rewound, resulting in scratches simply from the friction involved. Also when it’s under this tension, it will be dragged back into the film canister with too much tension, and the opening of the film canister may scratch the film.

Interesting....will make sure I flip the lever all the way....never noticed thought of that as an issue but will double check, thanks, jim

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Had it for a week.  Three rolls scratched.  All in the same place.  Different types of film, developed at different places.  All with the same scratches.

It's at Leica NJ now.  With the final roll of film, I didn't even bother to develop.  Just sacrificed a roll so Leica could see the scratches along the entire length, and sent that in with the camera.

It was very nice that Leica did pack that nice little quality assurance card with this camera, saying it had been checked over multiple times during its manufacture.  Not exactly sure what they check apart from - is it a camera? Yes/No..

Some people may say, well how could they possibly check to make sure it doesn't scratch film?  Well, just like I did...  Put a roll through it, no need to develop, look at the film.  If no scratches, we are good.  If scratches - then fix that $5600 camera before you ship it.  Is this really that complicated?  My $50 Kodak Ektar H35 camera that I recently bought does not scratch film.  But maybe I am expecting too much from a camera that cost 112 times as much?

The thing is, I am disappointed but not upset as I am fortunate enough to have other Ms to use.  But if I was someone who sold off everything to get one, the dream camera, and this happened?  I would be furious.  Anyway, I'll see how this plays out.

FYI the staff at Leica Store Los Angeles were wonderful to deal with.  Extremely apologetic, would have given me a new one - even though I didn't buy it from them - if they had any in stock.  They are handling everything.  No complaints there.  There is an irony here that this is the first new M camera that I have bought, and the only one that I have that has issues...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Sigh, how long has Leica been making film cameras??  And they've somehow forgotten how to make a pressure plate that doesn't scratch film?

Really disappointing to see.  Hopefully they'll have the camera back in your hands soon with a pressure plate that doesn't double as an engraving tool.

• Haha 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This seems to be a recurring problem with new Leica Film M’s. My MP from July 2021 doesn’t have this issue, but others had the issue from earlier batches only 6 months before, and others had the issue after the batch I had it seems as well. You really would think they would have figured out what’s going on here.

My brand new MP (a few years ago) scratched the film too. Replaced the pressure plate and the problem was solved. At the time the CS was slow at best (not sure if it is better now) so decided to have it done locally. My old M6 never made a scratch in it's life :)

I'm thinking it's not likely pressure plate screws since they don't touch that part of the film. There must be a burr on the plate to cause this so maybe faulty tooling. I'm most surprised that Leica requires this back instead of just sending out a new door which would be more efficient for the customer and probably more cost effective for them. After so many issues with this you'd think they'd toss out whatever batch of pressure plates they have and start with a fresh order of them.

2 hours ago, archive_all said:

I'm thinking it's not likely pressure plate screws since they don't touch that part of the film. There must be a burr on the plate to cause this so maybe faulty tooling. I'm most surprised that Leica requires this back instead of just sending out a new door which would be more efficient for the customer and probably more cost effective for them. After so many issues with this you'd think they'd toss out whatever batch of pressure plates they have and start with a fresh order of them.

Actually, this was the easiest scratch to photograph.  There were also scratches on both areas where the film passes over the supposedly recessed pressure plate screws.

So it was three beautiful sets of scratches - top, middle and bottom.  And of course these scratches are on the side of the film that touches the pressure plate.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Musky said:

Hmm. I would ask for the new M6. It’s an MP basically. This is too many MPs already. After the second I would’ve suggested to go to another store. 

Considering @Huss’s new M6 is scratching film too, that might not be the best move. 

I know everyone wants the hot newness, but with Leica’s QC as of late (with film bodies), maybe the real way to go is to buy used. Saves yourself some money for another lens too. 

Holy Crap!!! Three individual sources of scratches!?! Well Leica Manchester has promised me that my bought and paid for MP will be sent to me in January. I will be checking everything. 

Think about Nikon F5,  the beast that it is, 5 fps, power rewind, as long as static didn't throw lightning bolts, it wasn't know for scratches. 

This is very disappointing. It's also concerning, so called hand made items often are just low volume luxury goods that are "machined from a block of brass", well of course the cameras would be twice the price if new die casting tooling was used for a few thousand a year.

I still think it will be OK. A good reason to not sell 5,000 opening day.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, LocalHero1953 said:

I have a new MP on order. I shall find a cheap roll of film to waste on it before taking shots that might be important.

You could snip a frame off the end of the film and rub it over the pressure plate, if it scratches (hopefully not) it should be possible to narrow it down and discover exactly what is causing the scratch.

• Like 3

• andybarton changed the title to Brand new MP/M-A/M6 film scratches [Merged]