Second lens for my M9, any ideas?

Prime

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Heya! Got a 35 mm summarit lens, that is my all-round everyday lense, and I really like it. But I would liek to spice some things up and get a second lense.

I mainly shoot street photograph.

I have been thinking of the 90 mm elmarit for more portrait shots.

Give some ideas and suggestions!

Got a Summarit-M 35 mm lens, that is my all-round everyday lens, and I really like it.

Yeah, good lens indeed! :)

For a second lens, I'd suggest a Summarit-M 75 mm or Summarit-M 90 mm. I guess in conjunction with a 35 mm lens (and without a 50 mm), the 75 mm focal length will be slightly more versatile than 90 mm ... but in the end, it's a matter of personal preference. You wouldn't go wrong with either.

As most people will tell you here on this forum, only you can really decide what lens is next. If you do more portraits than, let's say, landscape, then I would get the 90mm you mentioned. If it were me, I would add a 50mm collapsible or rigid, as I feel that the old Leica/Leitz lenses used on the new technology is pretty cool. Good luck.

Mark

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The 75mm Summarit is a beautiful lens, the only issue is some chromatic aberation with high contrast. It is so good I sold my 75 cron and use the Summarit. The other good 75mm is the Summilux, quite big but if the size is not a concern it is quite beautiful like the Noctilux is beautiful.

The Summarit-M 75 mm is a beautiful lens, the only issue is some chromatic aberation with high contrast.

Umm—yes, it has some chromatic aberration ... yet I don't see why you feel obliged to point this out. Now it looks as if this was kind of an issue—which it isn't because the chromatic aberrations are no worse than with most other modern Leica M lenses, too.

As a matter of fact, the Apo-Summicron-M 75 mm Asph has particularly low chromatic aberration, so in direct comparison (and in 100 % view) the Summarit may look bad—which it isn't though. The Apo-Summicron, however, has other issues so I also prefer the Summarit over the Apo-Summicron.

I like 75mm lenses, but I just hate the 75 frame lines. That's one reason I like the M8.2; approximates the FOV by using the 50 Summilux asph.

But if you want a 90 to use with an M9, I would be inclined to get the 90 Macro-Elmar. Puts considers it one of the 4 best current lenses for the M (and among the all time best), including the new 50 APO Summicron, and the best general purpose 90mm in the current M range. Small and light, too.

Only you can decide, but use that frame lever first (before it disappears) to see how you get along with different frame lines, and use your feet to see what additional focal length, if any, you really need.

Jeff

Umm—yes, it has some chromatic aberration ... yet I don't see why you feel obliged to point this out. Now it looks as if this was kind of an issue—which it isn't because the chromatic aberrations are no worse than with most other modern Leica M lenses, too.

As a matter of fact, the Apo-Summicron-M 75 mm Asph has particularly low chromatic aberration, so in direct comparison (and in 100 % view) the Summarit may look bad—which it isn't though. The Apo-Summicron, however, has other issues so I also prefer the Summarit over the Apo-Summicron.

Hi 01,

I too liked my Summarit over the 75 cron, and think it is the better lens for landscape. In direct comparison it has more contrast and greater sharpness, the mtf curves bear this out. Although I would use the Summarit for portraits it has more bite and is not as ideal as other lenses. The only fault I could find with the Summarit is the chromatic aberations and it is worse than the 75 cron, that was my point.

... I mainly shoot street photograph. I have been thinking of the 90 mm elmarit for more portrait shots ...

I see it difficult to get a prime lens that will be suitable for both of these tasks; unless, of course, convince yourself that shooting street scenes from the safe distance a 90mm provides IS street photography.

So, if we only talk about streets, either a 50mm that will allow you to examine the space around your subject in the RF or a 21mm that will give you a tool to move too close to your subject in crowded situations might be good choices--I repeat, for street photography.

I own and use all these focal lengths; each one with its pros and cons.

Paul

If you want to have a 2-lens kit that's balanced from a focal length perspective, the Summarit 75 is indeed a great choice. I am also one of those who thought that the price difference did not justify buying the Summicron.

However, if your intention is to use it mainly for street work, I'd also say that 75mm is perhaps a bit too long and I'd feel more comfortable with a 50, in which case a Summarit or a Summicron (including the older versions) would be my first choices.

Pick your poison.

The Summarit-M 75 is a terrific lens, with an incredible sharpness. It makes a nice combination with your 35.

But the 75 framing lines are really bad. In my opinion the Leica M is not the tool for longer focal lengths, even as discreet as the 75.

On the other hand, it is good to "train the vision" in the wide angle view.

It is much easier to compose with a tele than with a wide angle, because with a tele we isolate, and with a wide angle we must integrate in that frame many different and often divergent things.

When we begin with photography we are attracted by the longer focal lengths, because the results are more rewarding.

But in due time we learn to appreciate the wide angle's difficulty, the challenge of it.

Therefore, I would go for a 24mm...

But the 75 framing lines are really bad.

Obviously, that's a matter of taste. Because I, for one, like the 75 mm framelines better than most others—especially better than the 90 mm framelines. Somehow it has become fashionable to complain about the 75 framelines while in fact they are very nice. In particular, I like the way how the frame's corners are clearly marked. Just get used to them for a while and then you'll see ... ;):cool:

Obviously, that's a matter of taste. Because I, for one, like the 75 mm framelines better than most others—especially better than the 90 mm framelines. Somehow it has become fashionable to complain about the 75 framelines while in fact they are very nice. In particular, I like the way how the frame's corners are clearly marked. Just get used to them for a while and then you'll see ... ;):cool:

I guess I have never stressed a lot about framelines being accurate. I use them as a guide and the only time it really matters is if I am shooting a scene with a lot of depth and I want something in the foreground that is important to the scene. I shoot and look at the screen and shoot again if necessary.

the logical choice to go after 35mm are 75/90 or 21/24. Some may find 75 too short or too close to 50 (which you WILL eventually come to own), i myself prefer 90mm. For the wider side of things, i prefer the 21 to the 24. see to your photographic needs and choose accordingly, do you need wide angle or tele lens.