Does the X1 & X2's ASPH lens made by glass or resin?

shaozhuohong

Whether the Lens or Camera or both were made in Germany Portugal or Timbuktu makes no difference to me or to the quality of the images.

You'll have problems getting parts out of Timbuktu this month.

The recent Deutche Welle videos on Leica showed the X2 final assembly in Solms. The components themselves may originate elsewhere, but the techs in Solms make sure they all come together.

• Like 3

IMO this thread has run its course. s38 can now go trolling jollily back to believing (or not believing) whatever he/she wants and the rest of us can get on with productively using our glorious X1/2's, not caring a jot where they are made or assembled (or whether it's a glass or resin lens blank), 'cos it makes absolutely no difference.

• Like 6

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I definitively refuse to believe what I am told by you and other people on this forum, no offence.

Why? Andy is absolutely right, full stop. And that is not some kind of secret knowledge he is talking about, everyone interested in Leica knows that. Some years back, I talked to one of the head persons at Leica Portugal in Solms, and he didn't make any secret of what is done in Portugal and what is done in Germany. Some products are entirely made in Portugal, such as my Trinovid 8x20 binocular, which even says "Made in Portugal" or "Made by Leitz Portugal" (can't remember exactly) on its body.

Andy

• Like 3

S38 is very stuborn, I hope boein isn't as stuborn... No there is nothing wrong with out dreamliners...

Anyway, I would assume that there is something wrong with him... or we are all lying, because we really gain something out of lying to a fellow forum member... maybe he is bragging to everybody about his X2 that it's made in Germany, and now he is afraid others will find out that he was lying! hahaha

S38 is very stuborn, I hope boein isn't as stuborn... No there is nothing wrong with out dreamliners...

Anyway, I would assume that there is something wrong with him... or we are all lying, because we really gain something out of lying to a fellow forum member... maybe he is bragging to everybody about his X2 that it's made in Germany, and now he is afraid others will find out that he was lying! hahaha

I hope everything is "right" with you jip, you silly goos.

Many on this and other forums have made unsubstantiated claims that X2 is made in Portugal in order to discount the camera as being inferior etc. I could care less where it is made as long as it gives me the IQ that I like. But why would the Germans put "Made in Germany" if it wasn't?! Why would the supervisor, or whoever was the lead have his signature included in the camera box guaranteeing the quality of the product if he was not involved in the process? Look at all the Japanese Brand cameras made in China, none of them says Made in Japan, because they are not.

I simply refuse to agree with those who without any concrete facts claim that X2 is made in Portugal. For me it's a matter of making claims without being able to prove them. Technically, if everybody here was right and the camera was made in Portugal, but it says it was made in Germany, I could take Leica to court for making misleading and false statement for company gains...

Do you get my point now!?

• Like 1

No one has said, ever, that the X1/2 is inferior. There will be millions of people in Portugal who will take offence at your suggestion that their products are in any way "inferior".

It has been explained to you, very clearly and very carefully, how Leica make their cameras. If you refuse to believe what you have been told, by people who know what they are talking about, and how "Made in Germany" doesn't mean "100% Made in Germany", then there really isn't any point in continuing this conversation or thread.

" Made in Germany " allows any manufacturer to charge us, the customers, a premium. That's the only reason Leica bring 3/4 built cameras from Portugal to Germany to be finished. No other reason.

Edited by andybarton
  • Like 3

No one has said, ever, that the X1/2 is inferior. There will be millions of people in Portugal who will take offence at your suggestion that their products are in any way "inferior".

It has been explained to you, very clearly and very carefully, how Leica make their cameras. If you refuse to believe what you have been told, by people who know what they are talking about, and how "Made in Germany" doesn't mean "100% Made in Germany", then there really isn't any point in continuing this conversation or thread.

I never said X2 was inferior, read my post.

Is the Swiss chocolate not Made in Switzerland because the Cocoa came form Africa or South America? Why don't you go out and tell all those people that they've been dooped all these years into thinking they'be been eating Swiss made chocolate.

You and the rest here who claim X1/2 is made in Portugal strike me as know it all armchair experts who would make up "evidence" to substantiate their claims. It's a bit annoying!

btw, the X2 says "Leica Camera Germany" on the back of the top plate. It doesn't say "Made in Germany."

However, their literature does say:

"The X2 is constructed, by hand, in the Leica factory from high-quality materials and passes through the most stringent quality assurance and precision testing at every stage of the production process. This makes the Leica X2 the one and only digital compact camera made in Germany."

Here's a novel thought: if one is truly concerned about all this then why not write directly to the manufacturer and ask them? :)

btw, the X2 says "Leica Camera Germany" on the back of the top plate. It doesn't say "Made in Germany."

However, their literature does say:

"The X2 is constructed, by hand, in the Leica factory from high-quality materials and passes through the most stringent quality assurance and precision testing at every stage of the production process. This makes the Leica X2 the one and only digital compact camera made in Germany."

Here's a novel thought: if one is truly concerned about all this then why not write directly to the manufacturer and ask them? :)

You sir, obviously have never seen an X2 in person.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by s38

Believe what you want.

Look at the history and experience of those who have told you the truth and then still believe what you want.

Please stop trying to justify your assumptions. Go tell the kids at the playground X2 is made in Portugal. They might take your word for it.

Now, if you had told me earlier that you FELT like X2 was made in Portugal, I wouldn't have challenged your statement.

Please stop trying to justify your assumptions. Go tell the kids at the playground X2 is made in Portugal. They might take your word for it.

You should read the above posts again. Nobody said the X2 is made in Portugal. All the facts are explained above, but apparently you refuse to read and/or understand them. Final assembly of the X2 is in Germany, allowing the camera to bear the "Made in Germany" label, and that was never disputed by anyone.

You sir, obviously have never seen an X2 in person.

I own one. Here's a quickie pic of my hot-rodded X2 ;)

Although the first thing I did was pull off that CE strip on the bottom of my camera. So I don't recall what it said, and mine indeed only says "Leica Camera Germany" on the back of the top plate. And yes, my red dot has been removed, too. :)

Here's a suggestion: instead of telling people off, why not ask about this in a more congenial manner. Why did you say to me "You sir, obviously have never seen an X2 in person" instead of simply pointing out that the original sticker on the bottom says "made in Germany." I only stated what the camera says on the top plate and what the literature says, nothing more. It would have been helpful if you could had simply said, "but there is also the CE sticker on the bottom that says "Made in Germany."

I think that this thread deteriorated because it was accusatory instead of simply discussing the issue.

Sorry, but you sound extremely angry at something or somebody. No real reason for that. We can discuss it normally without all the innuendos.

Regards,

Bill

Believe what you want.

Look at the history and experience of those who have told you the truth and then still believe what you want.

By all means Andy, why do you still bother? Don't feed the Troll!

• Like 2