Threads and postings being deleted

leicamann

Guest Ming Rider

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks Guys.

Strangely. I only just noticed it wasn't SJP's picture.

Bird splashing about is a good description. Afterall, that's what it's doing. Didn't want to argue the point though, that's how wars start?

Besides, I was only trying to add validity to the OP's claim that there was such a picture posted, when others doubted him.

Read my signature and it will now make sense. Seems to be happening a lot round here lately ??

• Like 3

How can a "Bird splashing about" be interpreted as derogatory but " 'explosion' sounds like fun was it KNO3 or NH4NO3 based? Or something more advanced??" be acceptable?

The bird is splashing about as far as I can determine. Makes for a great photo. I do not believe that the bird was setting off KNO3 or NH4NO3 to produce the shower of water.

Is this the job of an unofficial unmoderator? Joke around when it suits them, and then determine whether or not anyone else has used a common phrase that you do not approve of?

The bird is splashing around. That's how they take a bath. It's beautiful to watch. Birds and explosives do not mix.

When I made the post the image was not available and I had no idea it involved a photo of a bathing bird. The assumptions made at the time seemed a distinct possibility to create the effect described (or suggested) by the thread title.

Hello Everybody,

Speaking of "disappearing Posts":

Last nite, somewhere around this time or a little later, while I was reading this Forum. I came across a Thread in which someone had provided some information about a situation in which some people were being treated in a less than optimal manner.

Another member had also Posted a comment. I read this comment & disagreed w/ what was said.

I wrote a Post in which I said I disagreed w/ the person responding to the original Thread. I tried to do it in a way that explained the inaccuracy of certain perspectives on the part of the later writer while @ the same time I tried to make it clear that what I was saying was not an attack on that writer but was rather an explanation of why their perspective was inacurate.

Well, tonite I went to see if anyone wrote anything more & it would appear that the Original Thread is there but the Post by the other person & my response to their response have both "disappeared". No mention of what happened. The original Thread is still there & there are comments by other people but the Post I commented about & the 1 wrote in response to it appear to have just vanished. Curious.

Best Regards,

Michael

You quoted a highly offensive post and therefore, when that was removed, your response (which was perfectly fine in itself) had to be removed as "collateral damage"

Sorry about that.

• Like 2

A bird 'splashing about' is somewhat insulting from my point of view.

Blimey where did that come from? :confused:

Maybe if it was a photo of someone's wife competing in a synchronised swimming contest the comment might be seen as derogatory, but a bird in a bird bath?!

Pete

Edited by Stealth3kpl
  • Like 2

I think this discussion is going nowhere, I liked the picture (not mine) and felt that the description "splashing about" did not do it credit.

Anyway the comment was made to Ming and not to anyone else and I think that Ming and I are still on speaking terms, at least I sincerely hope so.

• Like 1

Guest Ming Rider
I think this discussion is going nowhere, I liked the picture (not mine) and felt that the description "splashing about" did not do it credit.

Anyway the comment was made to Ming and not to anyone else and I think that Ming and I are still on speaking terms, at least I sincerely hope so.

Sure thing. Nothing but a tiny mis-understanding. No prob's here SJP :)

P.S. My comment about it being good that moderators remove offensive threads was to do with something else entirely.

Sure thing. Nothing but a tiny mis-understanding. No prob's here SJP :)

P.S. My comment about it being good that moderators remove offensive threads was to do with something else entirely.

Thanks, that what I had already concluded, but is good to confirm.

I realise that you comment about thread closing was unrelated to this. But indeed I fully support the way the moderators deal with ongoing stuff (despite my signature;))

Then next time send him a PM instead of posting it in public for everyone to read. There is only one person that came out looking foolish from this exchange, and it is not Ming Rider.

I have no intention whatsoever to change my principle that if I feel an injustice is done that 'everyone' should know this, this is not being intentionally nasty & I sincerely hope that my comments are not perceived as such. I am being honest about my feelings. Maybe I am wrong, I often am I hope. If so I will get contrary opinions, in the ideal case in public - like in this case.

Criticism = fine.

But.... I do not think that being honest and transparent = foolish and I do not find that an appropriate description of my intentions.

Maybe some prefer more diplomacy, in a professional environment I might agree with that but (gnashing of teeth) with some distaste. This is not the house of commons, we do not have a political agenda, we are all more or less adults (I hope), in essence everything here is totally unimportant - except if we lose respect for each other. I do not believe that Ming and I have done that, perhaps to the contrary I think we are still firmly on the same planet (vide supra).

Being able to disagree in public without actually hating each other is an essential part of proper communication, decision making, discussion etc..

If it makes you happy I will happily concede that my comment to Ming was on the edge. It was not my picture I was upset about by the way.

In any case I propose we let this go. I think we all have better things to do.

Guest Ming Rider
There is only one person that came out looking foolish from this exchange, and it is not Ming Rider.

Well that makes a change :D

• Like 2