M8 Shots

Guest Walt

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm not sure what can be seen on the computer, but here are a few shots from the new camera. All ISO 640, 28 Summicron or Zeiss 21. 13 x 19 prints from my Epson 4800 look terrific. I love the camera.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I'm not sure what can be seen on the computer, but here are a few shots from the new camera. All ISO 640, 28 Summicron or Zeiss 21. 13 x 19 prints from my Epson 4800 look terrific. I love the camera.

They're a little dark for onscreen viewing, which is probably the way you like to print them.

The M8 is a nice dinner companion, isn't it? Your EXIF doesn't say which lenses were used, but you seem to have a fair amount of depth of field, so I would guess f/5.6 for the restaurant shots at 1/8 sec.

Here's one using the Elmarit 24/2.8 at 2.8, Developed in C1 using the JFI Ilford H5 profile.

L1001733-1.jpg

Zuerich, Zeughauskeller.

scott

These are very nice Walt.

For what it's worth, on my screen they look perfect, and Scott's nice image looks a tad washed out. (I just calibrated both my Mac 23" Cinema screens 3 days ago for a commercial job requiring critical color and luminance).

They all look like digital capture to my eye. Not a criticism, just a comment. Let digital do it's own thing on it's own merits. Digital is digital, and film is film.

These are very nice Walt.

For what it's worth, on my screen they look perfect, and Scott's nice image looks a tad washed out. (I just calibrated both my Mac 23" Cinema screens 3 days ago for a commercial job requiring critical color and luminance).

When I wrote that the first set looked dark, I was viewing them on a Thinkpad T43p with a large screen (but not nearly as large as yours) calibrated a week or two ago, in a darkish home office. Now, in my office at work, with much better lighting, they look fine, although I wish the other diner's face were not in such deep shadow. My own shot is intended as a workprint ("let's see what there is"). If I printed it on paper, I would probably drive some of the shadows deeper. I like the ability of Leica lenses to retain information in the deep OOF areas -- the faces in the background, even the very impressive machine gun on display at the rear. (The Zeughaus was a medieval arsenal.)

JFI labs makes two inexpensive and very nice sets of icc profiles for b/w rendering of essentially any digital raw images. Lately I've been trying their Tri-X and HP5 versions. Besides setting the rgb channel levels to transform to b/w they make significant tone curve adjustments.

They all look like digital capture to my eye. Not a criticism, just a comment. Let digital do it's own thing on it's own merits. Digital is digital, and film is film.

I agree. For an excellent example of the differences, compare the half-dozen shots in Robert Frank's "The Americans" in which a radiant Wurlitzer jukebox takes center stage in a bar or restaurant with the bar shots that frequently show up in this forum.

scott

fine photographs all

you have made me hungry

Hi Scott what do you mean by Ilford H5 profile?

JFI labs has profiles for C1 that emulate various BW films

this is one of them

I find these profiles give superior results to various Photoshop channel methods I have tried for converting color to BW

the profiles are under $20 for the film emulation collection which gives you 16 classic BW films from which to chose

the differences between these can be subtle & may drive you mad for choice, but the results from my experience are superior

as almost always, the files benefit from a tweak in PS

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Walt,

Looks like you eat fast and start snapping. Lucky for us.

These are great. The first one is really outstanding. Love the composition, the softness of the waiters hand and the bottle, the light of the bar bottles, and the sharpness and shadow of the subject like we can't quite know him or what he is thinking. Wonderful image. The pool is my second favourite.

Please keep posting.

Best,

Mitchell

Hi Scott what do you mean by Ilford H5 profile?

Hi Roderik,

You can also try out the Alien Skin Exposure Photoshop plugin. I've just downloaded it. There are a lot of color as well as black and white film settings. Some do a rather nice job.

http://www.alienskin.com/exposure/index.html

Or you could check out Markus Hartel's page on channel mixer settings to emulate different types of film.

http://www.markushartel.com/tutorials/archives/2006/11/channel_mixer_s_1.html

Groet

Hans

Hi Roderik,

You can also try out the Alien Skin Exposure Photoshop plugin. I've just downloaded it. There are a lot of color as well as black and white film settings. Some do a rather nice job.

Exposure

Or you could check out Markus Hartel's page on channel mixer settings to emulate different types of film.

Photography Tutorials: Channel Mixer Settings

Groet

Hans

I do use jfi profiles for b&w and alien skin mostly for color images, if I want them to have a little more "pop"-I like the astia and the provia 100 profile.

The images were adjusted in PS on a LaCie 321 calibrated at 5000K, gamma 2.2 and 50 cd/m2. These are pretty much standard graphics arts settings, but that last figure is lower than most people use (100-140 is more typical). I view in a darkened room which should affect the luminance setting of the monitor. This calibration is part a managed workflow through to the output of a profiled Epson 4800. The printer output is profiled using a photospectrometer and QTR Create ICC to produce BW (luminance) ICC profiles. For those not familiar with this idea, PS manages the "color" flow with this profile just as it would for color with a color ICC.

As for the images "looking digital," in final (actual) prints I'm not sure if you could tell whether it was Plus-X or digital. On the screen, on the forum, I thought the images looked bad--a kind of flat, pale, creamy digital look that I don't like and see especially from the Canons. The Leica is not as bad in this reagard, to my tastes, especially at ISO 640. I think we expect to see more noise or grain in "35mm" images like these. If they were presented as 6x6 I don't think we'd find them digital, I think we'd find them typical of 6x6.

Thanks for the comments and remarks.

Best,

Walt