75 Summilux

Paul J

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well done. I'm sure you will enjoy it!

Hi Mark, thanks! I'm so delighted to have found one of these "gems".

If I may enquire; have you sent your copy off to Solms for refurbishment & coding

and, if so, did you deal with them directly or through the Camera Clinic?

Dee, try the lens first.

If it has no issues with your camera and feels mechanically sound, no service is needed.

If you have serious trouble focussing it, it might need a calibration.

+1

Just bought my third copy :) a few weeks ago, but it is just perfect. It's not that most 75lux's need service by changing from owner.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi Mark, thanks! I'm so delighted to have found one of these "gems".

If I may enquire; have you sent your copy off to Solms for refurbishment & coding

and, if so, did you deal with them directly or through the Camera Clinic?

Hi Dee,

mine is a 2001 model and performance seemed just fine but I have little experience with this lens. It's now with Camera Clinic for 6-bit coding and whilst it's in they are checking the calibration. At the moment they are waiting for the new flange from Germany - so any delays at this stage are due to Leica Germany frigging around.

I'd suggest calling Elissa at Camera Clinic and ask whether they can order in the part for you in advance to save having the lens sitting around for a while - very annoying but not Camera Clinic's fault.

Regards,

Mark

Edited by MarkP
  • Like 1

Dirk, Otto, Paul and Mark....thank you all for your advice. I have been assuming that the lens is an older rather than younger version (maybe because of the reasonable price)

and would therefore benefit from a bit of TLC, plus I thought to take the opportunity to have it coded. If it is problem free when received I certainly won't send it away, I don't really care whether it's coded or not.

Mark, thanks for the tip. I didn't realise Camera Clinic did 6-bit coding now, I will give Elissa a call. It's really good to know that, if needed, the lens won't have to leave Australia.

Edited by platypus
  • Like 3

I have bought this lens, I've been looking for a 75 lux since parting with the Nocti 0.95 a few months ago, it left such a gap. And not feeling confident about buying on ebay,

and of course having some budget restrictions, this one seemed very attractive when it popped back on to the market last Saturday.

jcraf, forgive me for "taking" your lens but rest assured that it will have the very best of good homes! :) I am just hoping that it is in okay condition and problem free,

it being the first non brand new lens I've ever purchased I'm a little concerned,

so....looking forward to it's arrival with great anticipation and hope.

That's great. I'm glad it's going to an appreciative owner. I have had lots of used stuff from Ffordes over many years, from a used MP and 2 black paint lenses, to small accessories, and they are pretty reliable and honest people.

Good luck with the lens - I am sure you'll enjoy it!

Regards

I payed almost $1,200 for my Summilux 75mm, and at the time it was painful!

Sent from my Etcha-sketch.

Mine was $1,800. Feel better?

One of my favorite lenses. Rarely use it. Wouldn't sell it. Because, when I do shoot it, magic happens.

RickLux

• Like 1

Hi Mark.

I bought it for my M8. This century. The local dealer had it for $2K and there was a Christmas special for 20% off of used equipment in the store. I asked if it included the Leica case? They said, why not. So, I picked up a boxed (never used?) Canadian 75 Lux that a collector traded-in to get a German version. So silly.

I just love this lens. I admit I should use it more. I can so understand why it was introduced with the M4-P as a fast reportage lens kit. I sometimes look at it and imagine the photo journalist of the time looking at all of the offerings up to that point and seeing the introduction of this kit (M4 + 75 Lux) and just going crazy for this fast, excellent Leica lens plus the M4.

Lastly, about that magic thing. I heard Jeff Bridges, the dude, talking about his WideLux camera a long while back when he introduced us to his collection of photos he made over his career with that camera . Jeff Bridges | International Center of Photography He said, with the WideLux, "you get a little bit more than you expect." (I bought a signed version of his book and it is one of my favorite photography books to date.)

Anyway. That is how I feel about the Leica 75mm Summilux. I'm always surprised. I get a little bit more than I expect. You've got a great lens there... magical.

RickWideLux

Edited by RickLeica
  • Like 8

Thanks Rick,

good story.

Dee,

Elissa from Camera Clinic called me today. There are no coded flanges for the 75mm Summilux in stock in Germany at this time. So they will send the readjusted lens back to me to use until the part is in stock. I'll have it back next week.

Mark

• Like 1

[quote name=MarkP;2629101

Dee' date='

Elissa from Camera Clinic called me today. There are no coded flanges for the 75mm Summilux in stock in Germany at this time. So they will send the readjusted lens back to me to use until the part is in stock. I'll have it back next week.

Mark

Thanks Mark, why am I not surprised? I guess Elissa will be backordering said flanges so I will phone her and request that they add one for my lens.

Dealing with Leica is really good for the practice of self control, almost meditational in it's own way.

• Like 1

Thanks Rick,

good story.

Dee,

Mark

I have a coding kit I can send to you (with a sharpie) - it works well, though it is temporary. PM your address, and I'll put it in the post for you.

Cheers

John

• Like 1

There is a saying in the UK (and possibly elsewhere) that you "wait ages for a number xx bus and then 3 come along at once".

I see that our sponsors Red Dot have 2x 75 'Lux at £2999 a piece, and that Ffordes now have a 6 bit one at £2599. (I have no connection with either dealer other than being a customer of both in the past)

Can't remember seeing so many of these for sale in UK at one time.

But Dee must feel well pleased at getting "mine" for the price of £1999!

• Like 1

Hi John, three of them!....well they do say that "it never rains but it pours".....

"your" lens cleared customs yesterday and is wending it's way up the long track

from Sydney to me....so the jury is still kinda out as to whether I'm well pleased or

not....actually I'm starting to get a bit nervous about it!

Hi John, three of them!....well they do say that "it never rains but it pours".....

"your" lens cleared customs yesterday and is wending it's way up the long track

from Sydney to me....so the jury is still kinda out as to whether I'm well pleased or

not....actually I'm starting to get a bit nervous about it!

Dee

Don't be. It will be fine. If not, I'll give you 500 quid for it ;)

Seriously though, I'd love to hear how you find it.

Cheers

• Like 1