Fuji Leica love

Guest happytogger

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Too early to say, camera is still not on sale.

Only example of poor M lens performance on NEX-7 was one review with poorly focused M lens on Luminous Landscapes.

I bet floods in Thailand were caused by Leica management performing rain dance.

No, Steve Huff got very poor images with wides (24 & beyond) on the NEX 7 as well.

I would have to say the increased number of pixels on the NEX 7 didn't impress me, either. The images from the 5N were superior to my eye. I've tried the Distagon 15 ZM on the NEX 5N, and I like the results (early days yet). At the moment, my Summicron 35 ASPH is living on there - video with a manual Leica prime is going to be interesting!

Mirrorless will be big next year.

It won't replace my M9, but it has earned a place in my bag. While the M9 is in Solms, and for those situations where I want a small camera I'm less concerned, the NEX5N is a hoot! CMos sensor, 16 MP, micro lenses suitable for Leica's short distance from the rear element, focus confirmation. So far it's been great fun!

Cheers

John

No, Steve Huff got very poor images with wides (24 & beyond) on the NEX 7 as well.

I would have to say the increased number of pixels on the NEX 7 didn't impress me, either. The images from the 5N were superior to my eye. I've tried the Distagon 15 ZM on the NEX 5N, and I like the results (early days yet). At the moment, my Summicron 35 ASPH is living on there - video with a manual Leica prime is going to be interesting!

Mirrorless will be big next year.

It won't replace my M9, but it has earned a place in my bag. While the M9 is in Solms, and for those situations where I want a small camera I'm less concerned, the NEX5N is a hoot! CMos sensor, 16 MP, micro lenses suitable for Leica's short distance from the rear element, focus confirmation. So far it's been great fun!

Cheers

John

I agree with you on NEX-5N, not replacement "insert your most popular camera" but capable addition, it has al the pixels one could ever need/desire but form factor and controls on NEX-7 are in a different league. Perhaps Sony missed the trick, 5N sensor in 7 body would be a hoot.

NEX system is currently limited by the shortage of own lens line up but I think here on LUF we are talking using M and R lenses on 3rd party digital back. My own interest is to use R lenses and M lenses equal/longer than 35mm so don't envisage soft corner issues reported by Steve Huff and LL.

BTW Luminous Landscapes are re-running NEX-7 review.

I think that's right.

NEX-5N in NEX-7 wrapping would be very cool, but bigger and a lot more expensive. The NEX-5N is actually pretty minimalist, which I like a lot.

I have no Sony lenses, and won't get any anytime soon.

No problem with the NEX-7 with longer than 28. But with an APS-C sensor, 90 becomes 135, 75 becomes 112, 50 becomes 75 etc. Hand held, wider is easier, especially for video. I see the 15, 21 & 28 getting a lot of use with this sensor. So, NEX-5N is really the only option.

Cheers

John

• 3 weeks later...

Now there is a rumor that Fuji will take over Olympus... no doubt it will be a bargain after their corporate accounting scandal and massive drop in profits...

I think there is a goodly chance of Fuji working with Leica in 2012 or at least offering something derived or inspired by the X100 concept.

Sony might make a better partner as after all they supply Leica with sensors for the X1, albeit a much older design than their current sensors as used on their NEX 7 and their delicious A77 SLT cameras.

Fuji make superb lenses and I suspect that the Leica/Fuji comments were more like that used grudgingly by mutually respected competitors. One of the first rules of good salesmanship is to never knock the competition directly! :D

Advertisement (gone after registration)

".....I bet floods in Thailand were caused by Leica management performing rain dance....."

Now that is the best and most probable of all the speculation in this thread. It is amazing how we all know what is going on in the closed and secret board rooms of all of these international corporations without any facts to support it. All the praise for an unmarketed revolutionary sensor by Fuji can only be based upon wishful thinking. The proof will be in the product that is marketed and given Fuji's expertise it will be interesting and possibly better and all the speculation until then is just that.

Leica, Fuji, and Hasselblad all do what is best in their judgement, if and when they decide to do it. We as consumers and enthusiasts can only accept or reject whatever they produce and put on the market. In the meantime, I will continue to plug along with my M8 and GF1 and handful of M mount and micro 4/3's mount lenses until I have the opportunity to actually hold their eventual replacements in my hands and see the results.

Curmudgeonly yours,

• Like 2

Guest happytogger
I would not be surprised to see Leica use a half-size 24 Mp Dalsa FT 6080 C variant- not only are the specs closely matched to Leica M, it is still a CCD too :)

The thing about the Fuji organic sensor (FOS) is it does not need micro lenses.

Thus for instance the WATE would (should) perform stellar on the FOS.

Other benefits are high iso beyond the current champ Canon1Dx, NikonD3s

No AA filter yet no moire. Proper colour sampling at each pixel (ie. no 2/3 calculations of Bayer).

To me these would be super in a future digital M or Leica mirrorless aps-c.

As always lets wait &see.

i believe fuji leica love is a real thing... i think the m mount is coming back...

the M9 has created a desire within the market for a sleek retro minimalist 'old school' type of camera (part of a wider return to 20th Century design and Bahausian minimalism, etc). This is especially strong in Asia. This is a new and largely untapped market for Leica- and potentially larger than any Leica ever provided to in the past. Shooting at events alongside working photographers (and their DSLR's) - they have often come and discussed the camera- clearly interested in the size factor... but dubious of professional applications- and dubious of the price. Lets face it: the vast majority of people cannot afford/justify the price of the M9. Let alone Leica lenses... And some can't justify the 'quirkiness' (limitations?) of a rangefinder either... But they love the form and style of the camera and are clearly curious.

Then we look at Leica's plans to vastly expand their elite retail stores across the world (and hike prices). They clearly plan to establish themselves alongside Louis Vuitton, Rolex, Burberry (?) on the high streets of the globe... This expansion seems to come largely from the success of the M9... but-

I wonder how many millionaires have played with an M9 gifted to them at a corporate do- and thought 'What the hell?' when they tried to focus it- before pushing it to the back of a cabinet of trinkets.

Perhaps Leica realises there is a larger market that want an M camera - but also want all the other crap: AF, live view, video, matrix metering- you name it.

So what to do? maintain the purity and simplicity that defines the brand and the M series? Definitely... have to. Anything else could be suicidal.

Make another camera for that other market?

also Definitely...?

make a new lens mount for that camera? Personally I have no idea: but I hope they don't do that- why not get M lenses up to full production? Why alienate the two systems? Creating another potential R line?

Make the new camera M like?- with (vaguely) Fuji like hybrid system?

but how to balance the act: which camera will be the premier one? How to maintain its status in the line- hobble the specs of the other?

And how to balance those concerns against the competition- namely things like the Fuji LX rumored to be coming along?

Surely now the writing is on the wall: someone will make a cheaper 'M Solution' (if they haven't already)- it will be FF or have better than the current FF performance...

All of which is brilliant- Leica is expanding and doing well- a lot is riding on the M10- and they have potential competition to keep them on their toes.

Guest happytogger

Fuji have not brought out a FF in small body.

And may have it intentionally bypassed.

Stevehuff says The new Fuji X-Pro1 – Details? Yep….FUJI IS IN THIS TO WIN IT! | STEVE HUFF PHOTOS

"there may be a 2nd camera being released by Fuji with a larger sensor"

in the comments Steve says

"Mmmm Hmmmmmm – from the rumblings I head on the inside, a #2 camera will be released – larger than FF."

S2 size sensor ? possibly Organic.

This opens the door for FujiLeica love with Fuji's FF Organic in future Digital M.

DM deserves the best sensor.

Don't you find it more likely that Leica would adopt one of Panasonic's cameras with the Panasonic organic sensor in the future as their lower end rebadged camera line? Fuji is not unique in this technology, in fact a bit behind Panasonic...Although Fuji filed the first patent, Panasonic managed to circumvent it with their own in a very short span of time. Anyway it will still be a few years until we see this technology in a camera, if ever. It is all very new and in a vey early development stage now.

Edited by jaapv

I am sure I have asked this question before, but when does Leica's contract with Panasonic expire?

There is no way that they will have a second similar partner in this market no matter how much wishful thinking Fuji's resident marketing department might want it ;) .

• Like 1

I am sure I have asked this question before, but when does Leica's contract with Panasonic expire?

Do/did they have a long term contract? All I know is that Panasonic lent Leica AG €20m a few years back (a loan that I seem to recall was due to be repaid in 2011).

Guest happytogger
Don't you find it more likely that Leica would adopt one of Panasonic's cameras with the Panasonic organic sensor in the future as their lower end rebadged camera line? Fuji is not unique in this technology, in fact a bit behind Panasonic...Although Fuji filed the first patent, Panasonic managed to circumvent it with their own in a very short span of time. Anyway it will still be a few years until we see this technology in a camera, if ever. It is all very new and in a vey early development stage now.

Fuji Film's Success with Organic Imaging Sensor -- Nikkei Electronics Asia - April 2006 - Tech-On!

Article from 2006.

Fuji has been working on the Organic before 2006.

Article shows a monochrome image from the Fuji Organic.

Five years on it should be ready to be released.

Edited by happytogger

Finally - the B&W-only camera purists on RFF have been clamoring for...:cool::

You may not have noticed Fuji filed the patent on December 21,2011 and Panasonic a few days after.

Edited by jaapv