Should I sell my MATE?

robbie1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all.

I've had some good responses thanks, interestingly not so clear cut.

Having used the M9 a bit more recently - I've not taken the MATE out once (maybe I'm trying to protect my investment), but I'm sure I use it when I go away next.

The idea of just taking the MATE and a 90mm which I've just bought and the Zeiss 25mm (or Voigtlander 21 f4 if I get it) is a good one. Nice and light.

The 35 & 50mm on the MATE are pretty good, if you can tolerate lack of DOF compared to primes. We'll see anyway.

Slightly off subject - I tried the Voigtlander 21 f4 - just for a few shots around the shop and outside, I was quite impressed. Not bad for the money, not as much character or as sharp as the Zeiss f4.5, but in the comparisons I made, which were very unscientific it seems to have less distortion and less of a problem with vignetting and the pink edges. In fact, wide open, indoors & slow shutter and set at the right lens setting, I saw no vignetting, a little pink but not much. My M9 has the latest firmware, might that make a difference?

If you really want a Leica, but can't afford it right now like me (because I've just bought an M9), it seems to be the prudent way. I did like was the size and lack of intrusion into the view, which bigger lenses suffer with. Also, it's a little faster than the Zeiss. Once the shots were fiddled with a bit they were very nice. I thought the lens would be good fun for the money. Also - it's in stock!

But, back to the MATE. I do fancy a newish 28mm Summicron f2, and it would be nice coded too. So if I don't get on with the MATE over the next month or so I'll be on the look out to trade up (or across).

I'd like one lens in the bag which is pretty much one of the best, at any focal length. I can't make any excuses then, I should get the most out of the M9 sensor.

That's one of the things I like about Leica M's. You have to work a little harder to get a really good image (if you're not Salgado), but when you do it's more satisfying.

I wonder when I'll use the D700 again, which is a pity as it's a great camera too. Do you think I should sell it?

I wonder when I'll use the D700 again, which is a pity as it's a great camera too. Do you think I should sell it?

:confused: How could we possibly know? Different tools for different individual needs and preferences. Beyond that, finances and opportunity costs are likewise personal.

Jeff

Hi all.

I've had some good responses thanks, interestingly not so clear cut.

Having used the M9 a bit more recently - I've not taken the MATE out once (maybe I'm trying to protect my investment), but I'm sure I use it when I go away next.

The idea of just taking the MATE and a 90mm which I've just bought and the Zeiss 25mm (or Voigtlander 21 f4 if I get it) is a good one. Nice and light......

There is no substitute for an intensive trial in your local area. That minimises the risk of missing something special. Let us know how you get on with that combination.

:confused: How could we possibly know? Different tools for different individual needs and preferences. Beyond that, finances and opportunity costs are likewise personal.

Jeff

Hi Jeff, sorry, the D700 thing was said with tongue in cheek, I don't need anyone to help me with buying or selling anything other than the MATE, which is a tricky little lens to quantify in terms of value for money.

Hi Jeff, sorry, the D700 thing was said with tongue in cheek, I don't need anyone to help me with buying or selling anything other than the MATE, which is a tricky little lens to quantify in terms of value for money.

Oh...missed that. I should know better, with my tongue often firmly in cheek. Carry on.

Jeff

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I sold mine 4 years ago (Mk 2 3E) and I don’t regret it. I’ve moved to shooting almost exclusively primes on my Ms and Rs. The F4 aperture was too slow for me, as I shoot a lot of low light pictures. Maybe I should have kept it and sold it now as I would have sold it for twice as much. C’est la vie!

• 1 month later...
Guest stanjan0

Well I just got back from a 70 day cruise with my wife, M9, and the Mate was my most used lens. I took it ashore with the 50mm f1.4 or the 35mm f1.4 and seldom had to dismount the Mate. Sometimes I just took the 50MM .95 on very cloudy or dark days while it's a superb lens but, is quite heavy. The images it took were magnificent and very sharp. :)

I sold mine 4 years ago (Mk 2 3E) and I don’t regret it. I’ve moved to shooting almost exclusively primes on my Ms and Rs. The F4 aperture was too slow for me, as I shoot a lot of low light pictures. Maybe I should have kept it and sold it now as I would have sold it for twice as much. C’est la vie!

I could write a duplicate of this post. It is a nice enough lens, but I simply did not use it, preferring primes, and in situations tha would have made it a nice lens to use, it is - for me- just as simple to put on a 35 and zoom with my feet.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi robbie and welcome!

You must have noticed, that we love little-long questions from newcomers here.

"tri" btw stands for the Tri-Elmar, your lens.

I had one more, that I've sold to finance my M9.

But everybody writing here how fragile they think it is, made me quit using mine after years with it on my M8 of perfect and frequent function.

Would I sell mine? Never.

Best regards from Germany,

Simon

PS: You will get more answers, untill you barely remember what YOU want. So if in doubt, just wait imo. Besides Christmas being over, the prices will go up again in spring and summer in the northern hemisphere.

PPS Just listen to stanjan please. Wish to reach his age and on top to achieve such a steep learning curve in a new field. Remember him writing about his new M9 less than a year ago.

Edited by Guest
PS

[quote name=tri;1934831...

But everybody writing here how fragile they think it is' date=' made me quit using mine after years with it on my M8 of perfect and frequent function.....[/quote]

I am not sure where you found this evidence. The TE is a very robust and strong lens. Relative to most prime lenses it does have more moving parts, but that does not entail mollycoddling the lens. Rather it is a lens to be used with only the care most users would apply to their other lenses.

Well I just got back from a 70 day cruise with my wife, M9, and the Mate was my most used lens. I took it ashore with the 50mm f1.4 or the 35mm f1.4 and seldom had to dismount the Mate. Sometimes I just took the 50MM .95 on very cloudy or dark days while it's a superb lens but, is quite heavy. The images it took were magnificent and very sharp. :)

Stan, very gratifying to read your brief summary account of your marvellous voyage of discovery and the part your MATE played in capturing that enjoyment.

I have a wide variety of lenses, but my most frequent air travel combo is a MATE on the M9, 90 elmarit M on an M8, 50 Summilux (asph) and 21/2.8 Biogon in the bag (with frankenfinder. I sometmes drop in the 35 cron because love this lens and it is tiny.

I have taken more Leica shots with the MATE than my other lenses combined.

The only limitation that matters to me photographically is the F4 limit but I usually use my Leica's in tourist mode and in good light.

I print large (up to 24 X 36 in.) and have no sharpness issues with my MATE.

By F 5.6 it is close enough to perfect that I don't care.

It is a bit delicate in managing frame lines.

Regards .... H

Well..... just to be contrary I'm heading in the opposite direction......

It's a great hikers lens, particularly for a minimalist tramp with the dog.... where changing lenses with a demented puppy on the end of a lead is a struggle....

Having carted a bag full of lenses on a walking holiday this summer in Italy I regret not having a MATE sooner.....

Anyway, basically if you don't use it, SELL IT :)

Leica gear is too expensive to be in a bag collecting dust......

I sold my version II and don't regret selling it. I love the primes I have which all have better IQ than my MATE II.

But I offer one caveat. If you plan to continue upgrading your M body, you may find it easy to use f/4 lenses in the future as higher ISO's become more usable with an M10, for instance. Personally, I don't hike or travel in ways that make me wish I had a MATE and I can't imagine giving up the quality of my 28 & 35 "crons, much less my 50 'lux, but I can imagine that it would be very useful under certain circumstances.

--Gib

I love my MATE and my WATE. If you can afford to have this and the primes, it definitely has its place. In recent years I have been traveling quite a bit, and it makes a great daytime lens. But it doesn't replace my 50 and 35 luxes.

I have the second version, and have found it as reliable as my other lenses. Mine had a bid dent which Solms recently graciously removed, which did not detract from its performance.

If I had to choose between the luxes and the MATE, the luxes would definitely win ( and the 50 cron and 28 elmarit when I need to travel light), but it is a great special purpose lens for good light.

Just my 2 cents.....