Should I sell my MATE?

robbie1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Not anymore, stanjan0

This is >>internet<< and matters a few days old don´t exist anymore in real life.

Wishing you a Happy New LEICA-Year

GEORG

----------------------------

... in case you feel a strong need for more responses, open an new thread within the M-lens-section.

You might be surprised what comes up then.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited by k_g_wolf

I had a E49 MATE and sold it to finance my M9 some years ago. I missed it for travel, and recently bought another E49, which has produced excellent files. What I made on selling the first one I lost on buying the second; that's because prices on this lens keep inching up. The generally accepted wisdom on these lenses is that the E49 mechanism is better (sturdier?) than the E55 but that both are optically the same. Given the same optical formula, I would suspect that individual sample variations will have a greater effect than on v. 1 vs v. 2 comparisons, assuming of course that they are both mechanically sound. Because E55's will be older there may be more risk assumed, and prices for E55s are noticably lower than E49s.

Guest stanjan0

thighslapper, your just a newcomer joining in 2010 so your judgment is taken very lightly, put some time in and maybe you'll qualify to post. Do you own either one version 1 or 2.;)

Do we actually have something useful to do or is this whole thread just a waste of time?

Note: the MATE (I and II) is a fantastic lens, as may be expected. IMHO at 50 mm it is one of the best lenses out there, OK at f/4 it is not so fast but I have other toys to deal with that. Its 'rendering' is phenomenal.

Edited by SJP
  • Like 1

Guest stanjan0

Stephen, beautiful images, the images of the large house with the beautiful blue, clouded, sky background did you use a filter, beautiful cloud cover? I might have missed where you are from so where were these beautiful images taken? :)

Yes, well I'm looking for an immaculate E49 MATE. As the mechanism is intrinsically more delicate I'd not want to risk an E55, and would prefer to buy from a dealer who would honour the lens with respect to any potential problems - my obviously accepting the higher price tag that would come with this.

Supply of pristine E49 MATEs has well and truly dried up at this time:(

Yes, well I'm looking for an immaculate E49 MATE. As the mechanism is intrinsically more delicate I'd not want to risk an E55, and would prefer to buy from a dealer who would honour the lens with respect to any potential problems - my obviously accepting the higher price tag that would come with this.

Supply of pristine E49 MATEs has well and truly dried up at this time:(

Most of the MATES appear to be stuck in Hong Kong......

I got mine from there before the prices jumped.... and it had obviously been back to Solms for a new mount a la E49 V3 with 6 bit coding. Seller was extremely helpful and trustworthy. Apart from a few marks where the awful metal hood attaches (which were easily touched up with Birchwood Casey Aluminium Black and now invisible) it is mint and performs perfectly. I think you may have a long wait unless you take a chance and go for it when you spot one....;)

Edited by thighslapper
  • Like 1

Guest stanjan0

Now this is according to Erwin Puts the foremost expert re: Leica lens and Leica stuff "THERE IS NO TYPE THREE (3) E49" that should be plain and simple but, no this mis no-mer continues to flourish. Countless people have asked the Leica factory for their word on this and no response from Leica, I guess thats just good business strategy on their part. Come on "Erwin" sound off again, please. :confused:;):)

OK, so its a version 2 with the old design mount replaced by the new one (as they fairly obviously would not still be carrying the old ones....)

Get someone to edit LeicaWiki and remove '3rd version'. This is allegedly derived from his list taken from the written records in Solms and the 2001 'redesign'

It's all hair splitting as optically they are identical. As for ergonomics and mechanical reliability I cannot comment, but clearly Leica would not have changed various bits it there wasn't some problem or other .....

Edited by thighslapper

Okay so if there is a third version then what's the difference between v2 and v3?

'I' never said there was a third version.

It is alluded to as a 'redesign' in the 2001 from serial no. 3920101 onwards.

I have no idea where the information that the 'redesign' referred specifically to the mount came from in Leicawiki.

To quote Erwin:

NOTE:

The lists of serial numbers of cameras and lenses are directly copied from the original documents at the Leica factory in Solms. The lists are handwritten and sometimes, especially in the older periods, the handwriting is very difficult to read, so an educated guess has been made occasionally.

There is much confusion among Leica aficionados over the exact interpretation of the lists. To be sure, they are neither production numbers nor sales numbers. In fact they are allocated serial numbers for future planned production. The year is the moment in time of the allocation, not necessary the year of production.

Not all ranges have been filled completely by real production targets. And sometimes a range that is not fully used has been given to special series.

If there are factual errors in these lists, I am to blame. These lists differ on many details with other published lists. I can only say that the numbers presented here have been collected from the orignal sources.

Erwin Puts, february 2010

I suppose it all depends on just what amount of 'redesign' constitutes a new 'version' .... and that is officially down to Leica and unofficially in the 'eye of the beholder'.

Is a 6 bit coded vesion of a lens a 'new version'... ? clearly not

Is a modification to the mechanics of the moving bit of the mount that registers the viewfinder frame a 'new version'..... ? possibly ;)

I matters very little except to Leica afficionados and the anally retentive that want the 'best possible or latest version' of a Leica product just because of the label....:rolleyes:

I can see this thread going on ad infinitum until we disappear up where the sun don't shine......

Edited by thighslapper