"Do you know this building?" Game Thread

kokoshawnuff

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Wilson,

Could that City be as large as Colmar?

Have you noticed that it appears that a number of the other game players are sleeping?

Do you think that they are tired from gathering up balls that are being thrown around by pine martens who are playing in their swimming pools?

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello Wilson,

Could that City be as large as Colmar?

Have you noticed that it appears that a number of the other game players are sleeping?

Do you think that they are tired from gathering up balls that are being thrown around by pine martens who are playing in their swimming pools?

Best Regards,

Michael

I'm sleeping mainly because I really don't have anything else to post right now.

Hello Mike,

Are you sure that its not pine martens playing ball in the pool who are making you sleepy?

By the way, what did you think of my guess "Colmar"?

Best Regards,

Michael

I took my pool out a while ago, I hate lying around doing nothing and I was over the maintenance necessary. :)

Hello Mike,

Do you know what all of those "&bnsp;" devices are that have magically appeared in your copy of my Post?

I wonder what happened to Wilson?

Perhaps he is lost inside the Maginot line.

Best Regards,

Michael

That's because I am reading this at work and the company firewall is doing something weird to this site, it seems to have some of the scripts blocked and I cannot upload images from here.

• Like 1

There is one large city nearby and one medium size. I think this is the biggest Ouvrage open to the public and is open most days of the week. There were a whole lot of army recruits visiting it the day I was there, which made it all more realistic, with the officers in dress uniforms, complete with General de Gaule kepis. I have just finished reading the history of the Maginot line. I did not realise what a success the Petit Maginot Line in the Alpes Maritime was. Over the week before the armistice was signed with Italy, Italy had lost between 5000 and 10000 dead, missing and seriously wounded, at the cost of 40 French dead and not a single fortress captured.

Have not seen the martens (stone and pine) this year although I have heard them a few times yipping away. There are a lot of foxes around this year and far fewer wild boar. The wild boars kill the foxes to protect their piglets. The foxes also kill young martens.

Wilson

I am slow in replying as limited to an iPad at the moment. My new 15.4" Macbook Pro's keyboard has died, like many others. I arranged for it to be picked up to go to the French repair centre and asked them to pre-order a QWERTY keyboard. After a "Cook's" tour round the airports of western Europe, it finally arrived at the repair centre. They phoned me up to tell me it needed a new keyboard. "I know" I said ....."and you have ordered a new QWERTY one haven't you." "No we forgot" was the answer "but we can replace it with a AZERTY or QWERTZ, which we keep in stock". GRRRRRRRR!

Wilson

Hello Wilson,

Are the various keyboard patterns for writing in different languages? Or are they for writing more efficiently by distributing the letters in a more usable manner?

I know that in the beginning of typewriter manufacture different keyboard layouts were sometimes utilized in order to try to improve typing efficiency.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht

I am slow in replying as limited to an iPad at the moment. My new 15.4" Macbook Pro's keyboard has died, like many others. I arranged for it to be picked up to go to the French repair centre and asked them to pre-order a QWERTY keyboard. After a "Cook's" tour round the airports of western Europe, it finally arrived at the repair centre. They phoned me up to tell me it needed a new keyboard. "I know" I said ....."and you have ordered a new QWERTY one haven't you." "No we forgot" was the answer "but we can replace it with a AZERTY or QWERTZ, which we keep in stock". GRRRRRRRR!

Wilson

One of my co-workers has an AZERTY keyboard on her Mac, with the language set to French, I've had to use her computer a couple of times and it is tough!

Hello Wilson,

Are the various keyboard patterns for writing in different languages? Or are they for writing more efficiently by distributing the letters in a more usable manner?

I know that in the beginning of typewriter manufacture different keyboard layouts were sometimes utilized in order to try to improve typing efficiency.

Best Regards,

Michael

That is the idea. AZERTY is for French, QWERTZ for German and Nordic languages. Strangely I actually learnt to ten finger type on a QWERTZ keyboard when I was at college in Switzerland and bought a Paillard (the same company that made the Bolex cine cameras) portable electric typewriter from a German friend who had also gone to the commercial classes but had given up. I also gave up with trying to learn Pitman shorthand in German but kept up with the ten finger typing classes. When I got back to the UK I had it altered to QWERTY. It took a few weeks before I got my Y's and Z's sorted out.

I believe the original layouts were designed to slow down typing, so that the letter levers did not clash. Obviously that is no longer necessary, which is why some folk have changed to the DVORAK layout.

Wilson

Ouvrage Hackenberg - my forensic eye matched up the stains on the wall, despite the heroic (and understandable) efforts to delete the tell-tale signage.

http://static.panoramio.com/photos/original/84266591.jpg

I'm curious - was that heavy, insulator-mounted metal bar across the whole front above the doors and windows an electrified defence system? Or a detector of some kind? Or just an exposed power line?