Thinking of finally getting a DMR- good idea or not anymore?

Posto 6

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The build quality, handling and technical features of the R9 system are so exquisite and superb. But next to an M9, the results just pale in comparison. It's such a pity that Leica dropped this system instead of providing us with a DMR upgraded to the level of the M9 or beyond. I would even have accepted the weight (and then some) under these circumstances. What a loss.

That's just not true. I'd say that's pure baloney ! I'll put up any of my DMR files against the M9. This is pure myth. The weakness of the M9 are the lack of CLOSE FOCUS in the M lenses. I've shot a lot of M9 files & it's a great camera system, but let's get real.

The one lens that handles these issues well is the 24 Summilux. But even the files I shot with a M9 & 75Lux weren't as good as my DMR & 80 Lux. There's just more light and a wider spectrum of true colors with the DMR. It's not overly contrasty and allows a wider range of subtle gradations, to my eye.

Don't get me wrong. I very much enjoy the M9, particularly with the 24 Summilux, but it has it's limitations as well.

• Like 3

I still have my R8/DMR and honestly I doubt I would ever get rid of it. Although, at times I entertained the idea, especially after my batteries' capacity went down substantially. I went out to buy a D3s but only ended up with a D700 for lack of availability, and assorted Nikkor lenses. For my taste and requirements, While the quality is indeed very good, the files just do not compare with the DMR's output, in terms of sharpness, contrast, colour and subtle gradation (yes it's 16 bit). I am happy with the D700 and Nikkor lenses little weight, that's a welcome relief but I miss my R8/DMR. On a more positive note, I was able to provide my three old DMR batteries and Leica was able to provide me with refurbished batteries using my casings. Can't wait to use my DMR again... Nothing seems to suit me better for my work.

While the quality is indeed very good, the files just do not compare with the DMR's output, in terms of sharpness, contrast, colour and subtle gradation (yes it's 16 bit).

In all fairness, I think you're actually comparing the difference between Leica and Nikon lens characteristics to some extent here.

• 5 months later...