60 minute no edit rule

Photojazz

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Not meant to whine, or complain, but...

It is my opinion, this is way to strict. Often times you either find out information to correct yourself, or decide something could be said better and try to correct it. I've found TWICE today in one thread, that my edit rights timed out before I needed them to. Once while I was editing my post even.

Net result is I left incorrect information in the main thread, that I wanted to correct, but can't.

I've been in forums a long time, a VERY long time, and only one, maybe two other forums I know of locks you out of your own posts like this. I do not like it myself.

Thanks.

Doug

Without a timed out edit rule, it would be a complete free for all when it comes to people discussing things and going back and changing what they said originally. If you had, say 6 hours, by the time you came back to edit your post, there may have been a dozen responses to the original post that then become a nonsense.

As a Moderator, I don't have any time out rule at all, but, in my experience, 60 minutes (if that's what it is on the forum) is pretty generous. My experience of other forums is that the time is set to between 10 minutes and half an hour.

Net result is I left incorrect information in the main thread, that I wanted to correct, but can't.

You can quote your original text and say you were wrong, then type the corrected text. Not a problem for me personally, but if you feel it's important send a PM to 'admin'.

Hello Doug,

I have found myself in your situation more than once. What I generally do since I don't know that much about computers is write a follow up Post. I have found Forum members quite accepting of additions, deletions & such in subsequent Posts.

Best Regards,

Michael

A person who's first draft has often pretty much disappeared by the time it is fully revised.

I would like to see a longer time before the post says "Edited by..." Some of my posts are quite long (though not as long as Frank's are/used to be) and re-reading them, I do see typos. I know I should proof read before submitting but sometimes the "rush to publish" is just too great.

• Like 1

hmm, free for all. Disagree. I have owned a forum for 10 years, and never limited people's edit rights, we have no issues.

Everyone has answers, I thank you for your input, but if I cannot be in control of my own words for more than 60 minutes, it will influence greatly my participation. FM does not enforce such limits.

Additionally, I got busted for photos OVER the 960 max, well, an XL size in Smugmug is 1024 on long side, HARDLY a gross overexpansion of image size, and since my photos are loaded to smug, I am not custom processing images for posting here. I have 38 posts here, and already busted for being an image voilator, wow.

1024 X 768 is a reasonable size for long size, not vertical orientation photos, but you know, what do I know, it's just standard high def rez... Most of us run high rez desktops, sorry, but 960 is small to most of us now and it's certainly not a standard of any kind.

Edited by Photojazz

Hi,

please don't understand me wrong when I post my point of view now:

In everything we define as rule we try to find a good compromise between the needs of all forum users and ours as forum owner and moderators.

hmm, free for all. Disagree. I have owned a forum for 10 years, and never limited people's edit rights, we have no issues.

Everyone has answers, I thank you for your input, but if I cannot be in control of my own words for more than 60 minutes, it will influence greatly my participation. FM does not enforce such limits.

Sad enough we made a different experience: Forum members posted provoking messages and edited them after enraged replies - thus delivering a completely false impression of the conflict.

Additionally, I got busted for photos OVER the 960 max, well, an XL size in Smugmug is 1024 on long side, HARDLY a gross overexpansion of image size, and since my photos are loaded to smug, I am not custom processing images for posting here. I have 38 posts here, and already busted for being an image voilator, wow.

1024 X 768 is a reasonable size for long size, not vertical orientation photos, but you know, what do I know, it's just standard high def rez... Most of us run high rez desktops, sorry, but 960 is small to most of us now and it's certainly not a standard of any kind.

No it's not a standard but a size most users can deal with and which is big enough to show enough detail. We still have more than 10% users visiting the forum with screen sizes of 1024 x 768 or less - for them it would be impossible to see complete images of more than 960 pixels.

Including external images in forum posts is also something that worries me - and we are thinking about to block that. Not for fun but because these external files are potential security risks.

We already had some files that were blocked by malware filters thus blocking the whole forum as potential malware spreader.

Another thing: When including one or more big images please keep in mind that some users are visiting the forum over mobile connections which charge you by data.

Some forum threads had a volume of about 6 MB - only visiting this thread during my vacation in France would charge me about 25 €.

Hopefully I was able to point out that the rules we have defined are based on experience - we only try to keep the forum running and a good forum experience for all visitors.

Best regards from Bonn

Andreas

• Like 2

Lucky you. Have a look over on RFF. Edit rights after a while are, in theory, Mod only. In practice there are a number of people with edit rights, some of whom also have multiple logons; cross one at your peril; they will back themselves up (it takes a while to spot it) and also rewrite history to paint themselves in a better light.

Nasty.

...if I cannot be in control of my own words for more than 60 minutes, it will influence greatly my participation.

Really? How do you manage in face to face conversations? As already suggested, you could always get it right up front. As to your participation, I have been here a while, and this is the first time I can remember anybody querying this. You are, of course, entitled to your own opinion and nobody is forcing you to participate, although I must say this is a strange non-issue to choose to pout over and threaten to pick up your ball and walk away.

Andreas' house, Andreas rules.

By the way, I suspect "Most of us..." do not run high resolution desktops; many of us access regularly from laptops, iFads, and other mobile devices.

Edit: Andreas posted as I was writing this.

Regards,

Bill

Edited by bill
  • Like 1

Andreas has said all the important stuff.

One additional item you might not have thought of: While the time limit for "enhancements" apparently might limit your freedom of expression it enhances your chances that your expression actually reaches people.

Consider: I often browse the forum using the "new posts" function or similar. Hence, I will be alerted to posts I haven't seen yet. I will ignore posts I already have seen. That includes your enhanced statement you managed to post after 59 minutes because that's not a new post.

...nothing new here - if an amendment is required and cannot be done because the edit window has closed, simply post a follow-up to the original (that is, if the correction is important). Otherwise, have a chuckle and just let it go. We are human, after all.

• Like 2

I'll respect the admin's comments, but I will not retort to what all Bill spoke of, I don't even have a clue what all he's talking about.

RFF? don't know

IF I post an image here, I'll just use the large, if any of those violate image sizes, I guess can post thumbnails. :cool:

I have over 8000 posts at Nikon Cafe, so I can get along at forums, that is not an issue, just when issues surface so soon, just like to voice my opinion.

As the discussion has widened, thought I'd just add my viewpoint on a couple of issues:

- while it's irritating sometimes to see the 'Last edited by plasticman at...' message, when all I may have done is corrected the position of an apostrophe five (or ten?) minutes after writing a post, I can see the logic and accept that otherwise the feature can be abused by the unscrupulous. However, I wonder whether the initial edit period could be extended by a little time (as Mark suggests) - with a lockdown overriding this extension if a new post has subsequently been added to the thread (this may not be programmatically feasible).

- external images continually disappear (see dozens of empty photographs in long-standing threads like 'I love my M*...' I would much rather have only internal images.

- I have no understanding whatsoever for people who seem to be proud that they are behaving oafishly and virtually boasting about their rudeness and selfishness. "Yeah thanks for letting me come to your party, but by the way, your sofa is ugly and this food tastes like crap..." Maybe they really do behave like that in real life? :confused:

Andreas: "Including external images in forum posts is also something that worries me - and we are thinking about to block that. Not for fun but because these external files are potential security risks."

That is quite interesting. It would seem, then, that any picture on a site could be a security risk? That is spooky, indeed.

Thanks for being there for the rest of us, Andreas.