will you recommend X1

maxofrome

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Good afternoon to all. As you can see I am new in this great forum.

I just post my 1st question because last week end in a photo event in Italy I was able to shot with the X1 and I find it a great camera. I am really new to LEICA brand being 35mm user shooting with Pentax; but during the last year I start to feel to need a compact camera with high quality and I have seen just the X1 with this characteristic.

Basically I shot landscape and sometimes portrait. Do you think this camera has the quality that the brand suggest and its cost justify its quality?

Thanks to all and I follow the forum from now!

Have a serious look at the Ricoh GXR A12 (50mm e). I have both, X1 and GXR. The brain says Ricoh, the heart Leica. The GXR A12 does many things better than the X1 and its IQ is at least at the same level.

Ricoh will launch a 28mm e module later in the year. The GXR with 50mm and 28mm module will be my preferred choice.

I'm very happy with my X1 (warts and all) and I don't regret spending the money ; it creates quality images with a look that I like.

But virtually as good , with lens interchangeability and very much cheaper is my Lumix GF-1 with 1.7 20mm pancake lens.

Both are great cameras for those who hate carrying heavy Kit.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yes I would, but I am not sure who too. My brother often complains when dragging about his huge cannon outfit. He used to envy me and my DLUX 4. Now I have the X1 he likes the simplicity of it. However he likes his zoom for wild life photography. If the X1 could be coupled with a digiscope it would be perfect for him.

My girlfriend uses a little Nikon point and shoot (she used to use a minolta film camera) She loves it, but it is all mine!

People at work seem stunned by the price and complete lack of zoom, movie mode, sound track to the slideshow ect. Most can't get over the lack of these "essential" features. Then I start talking about my early film cameras. An old Zenith with a fixed 50 mm lens, build like a tank! and my favorite, a Nikon FM2 manual film with fixed 24mm lens, then they yawn and walk away. People are getting too soft I think.

However I think if you are more interested in pure photography, rather than equipment then the X1 is for you.

Hey Bad Robot,

I have an FM2 with a 24mm (and a gorgeous 50mm 1.4) as well! I still use it sometimes for shooting slides, a lovely camera to use..

I went for the X1 specifically looking for that kind of shooting experience and so far I'm really happy with my decision. In fact even though I liked it very much, I was never really that good at focusing manually and used to get eyestrain quite often from using a viewfinder for long periods. AF coupled with digital post processing makes the X1 quite an improvement over the FM2 for me personally, whilst still maintaining a fair approximation of the feel of a mechanical camera.

Basically I shot landscape and sometimes portrait. Do you think this camera has the quality that the brand suggest and its cost justify its quality?

Welcome to the forum Maxofrome. You pose two questions, my answers: Yes, the X1 delivers the promised quality, without any question of doubt. Value for money? That is a very subjective question; for me, certainly it does. For occasional picture-taking? Probably not, but I doubt that you fall into that category.

Good afternoon to all. As you can see I am new in this great forum.

I just post my 1st question because last week end in a photo event in Italy I was able to shot with the X1 and I find it a great camera. I am really new to LEICA brand being 35mm user shooting with Pentax; but during the last year I start to feel to need a compact camera with high quality and I have seen just the X1 with this characteristic.

I am very happy with my X1. Yes, I will recommend X1, it a very good camera in compact size and very good lens, leica color (M color) and creamy color. Very good in high ISO. Here is one of photo I shot with X1:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I got my X1 on March 3rd 2010, and ever since I have fallen love with my X1. I have used Pentax K2000, Nikon F2, Contax T2, Olympus e410, Sony CyberShots, etc... and for 35 mm focus lens category it is hard to beat. Dollar for dollar X1 cannot compete with the best of what the land of rising sun can offer. However, it is of radical design, and it is not 100% made in Germany; its strength is the huge Sony APS-C DC CMOS sensor with 1.5x crop factor which really catapults the X1 ahead of the competition. It got enigmatic features. You can always trust a Leica lens such as the Elmarit with high Mohs hardness able to withstand the rigors of every day use. Its LED screen is made of hardened Plexiglass with anti-glare coating. Read a really nice review of X1 posted at lensTip.com. Good luck in your decision.

Edited by eduardoho

Thanks all for your feedback, The quality and quantity are the sign of the quality of this forum. Thanks to you are more convinced to move to LIECA brand starting from a camera affordable to my back account :) .

During the week end I will have the chance to work a bit more with the X1 and soon I will buy it.

Yes I would, but I am not sure who too. My brother often complains when dragging about his huge cannon outfit. He used to envy me and my DLUX 4. Now I have the X1 he likes the simplicity of it. However he likes his zoom for wild life photography. If the X1 could be coupled with a digiscope it would be perfect for him.

My girlfriend uses a little Nikon point and shoot (she used to use a minolta film camera) She loves it, but it is all mine!

People at work seem stunned by the price and complete lack of zoom, movie mode, sound track to the slideshow ect. Most can't get over the lack of these "essential" features. Then I start talking about my early film cameras. An old Zenith with a fixed 50 mm lens, build like a tank! and my favorite, a Nikon FM2 manual film with fixed 24mm lens, then they yawn and walk away. People are getting too soft I think.

However I think if you are more interested in pure photography, rather than equipment then the X1 is for you.

I was kinda lucky that my M8 was at Solms for repairs for quite a long time, and while waiting I took a lot of time checking the camera. It surely is a jewel as it is made: compact, simple intuitive and precise. All went good, until I reached for the M8. Well... what to say... nothing compares to an M. Obviously the M is times more expensive than the X1, but simplicity of the M is on another level. The X1 and it's AF as well as liveview add complexity that is simply not there with an M. Ant the M is times faster as well...

Other than that, X1 is a great product.