M9 & Possible Serious Shutter Problem?

D&A

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Does the shutter look normal when you look at it through the lens throat? Any sign of mechanical damage? Is the camera continually trying to cock the shutter? If so, tapping the camera held in your left hand onto your right outstretched hand, quite hard, may fix it. If not, it is likely to need repair and, sadly, you may not have it back for your vacation.

However rare this type of failure, it's a pity that this will colour your view of M9 reliability for ever. Leica really do need to sort this out.

I do not believe it is the temperature issue.

My M9 just failed last night at home while I was changing from soft shutter release to Discrete mode so that I can freeze the exposure reading by slightly pressing the shutter release for composing. It works for a few shoots and suddenly, I got a message on the screen says "Shutter Fault" and the camera stopped working. I have tried removing the battery and reinstalling the current firmware etc. Nothing works. We have a 14 days cruise vacation coming up in 1 1/2 weeks and now no M9 for the trip. I contacted Leica USA this morning and they suggested me to send back for repair which I am going to do it to-day. I do not think it will be back in time for our vacation.

Any one has this same problem? I believe it is the software (when switching between different shutter release mode) problem. Need to have a new update to fix this problem. I heard M8.2 had the same shutter fault problem before and it was fixed with a new firmware (2.xxxx) a year ago.

It has been a ongoing problem with both the M8 and 9.

So yes other have had this same thing happen.

Does the shutter look normal when you look at it through the lens throat? Any sign of mechanical damage? Is the camera continually trying to cock the shutter? If so, tapping the camera held in your left hand onto your right outstretched hand, quite hard, may fix it. If not, it is likely to need repair and, sadly, you may not have it back for your vacation.

However rare this type of failure, it's a pity that this will colour your view of M9 reliability for ever. Leica really do need to sort this out.

Thanks Mark for your suggestion. I didn't see anything wrong by looking into the shutter by removing the lens. My wife just send me an email saying that she sent it out via Fedex to Leica at noon to-day already. Cost $63 to send with tracking number. Hope it will be back before our trip but I doubt it.

I am getting so worry that some other items might fail after the warranty period. Fortunately this is still under warranty until middle of May, 2011.

It's exactly the problem I had.

Soft & Discrete Mode in the Menu, used Continuous Mode and after about 10 exposures 'Shutter Fault'. Needed a complete rehaul, 4 weeks in Solms.

My Camera shop gave me a replacement for the time.

Best of luck.

It's exactly the problem I had.

Soft & Discrete Mode in the Menu, used Continuous Mode and after about 10 exposures 'Shutter Fault'. Needed a complete rehaul, 4 weeks in Solms.

My Camera shop gave me a replacement for the time.

Best of luck.

Sounds like it. I seldom use Discrete mode and this is the first time I try Discrete mode. I am not sure if I set the shutter accidentally on Continuous or not. But I don't usually use Continous mode. From now on, I'll stay on Soft mode. Nothing else. Its been working for months until I switched to Discrete mode. Then "Shutter Fault" and camera die. My repair will be in New Jersey and not Solms. I was told by Leica.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My M9 has behaved (very rarely) similar to D&A's when taking HDR panoramas. This has involved taking upwards of 36 shots in quick succession. Very occasionally I would hear a click when the shutter button was depressed but the shutter wouldn't fire until one or two seconds afterwards. I'd always put this down to an operational quirk because the buffer was full. I've never had a blank frame when this has happened. This was during the summer.

I wonder if the click when the release is pushed is the shutter locking solenoid being released, the one that ensures the shutter isn't inadvertantly triggered by vibration. The solenoid that actually releases the shutter then operates after a delay when there is room in the buffer. If this is what's happening then I guess its a question of sorting out the firmware timing for a particular set of conditions.

Bob.

... Hope it will be back before our trip but I doubt it....

Stanley--

When it arrives at Leica, it normally takes them 1 to 2 days to enter it into their system.

I'd recommend calling them 24-36 hours after FedEx delivers it. Ask if there's any way to get it back in time for the cruise.

I'll be taking it to New Zealand in October and will probably be able to report with more authority then.

Its not very cold in NZ in October (mid-spring in the southern hemisphere) ... but its a great place to bring an M9

• 4 weeks later...

I am back from my cruise vacation and the M9 was fixed by Leica in NJ. Overall time for repair was less than 2 weeks. Lecia techinician upgraded my shutter to the latest and check and adjust the meter. They did a great job in such a short period of time. On my departure day for the cruise, they called me 7:00am in the morning (10:00am NJ time) and offerred to send the M9 to my hotel room in North America if need. Since I was on a Cruise I cannot take this nice offer. Thanks Leica for the good service.

• Like 1

• 11 years later...

Bumping an old thread because i just ran into an issue with my M-E.

On single shot mode after firing the shutter a couple of times in a row, the shutter seems to rapid fire itself about 5 times.. you can tell it’s about to auto rapid fire because the shutter recocking starts changing it’s pitch (which sounds higher pitch). I am wondering if my shutter is going bad soon..