Samples of the 21mm ASPH Summilux at 1.4 with M9?

thomboe

Thanks, Peter! What is the aperture used on the building and tree shots, please? According to the exif data on pbase it was f/1.4. I know the data is copied from LR and just an estimation but did you use wide open, f/1.4 aperture on those shots?

Thanks again,

Joshua

PS - I also sent you a PM, BTW

Is that purple fringing I see on the lip of the glass, the edge of the sunglasses, and on/around the knife, where the high contrast transitions are occuring?

Took a close look and yes there was purple fringing I could see at 200-300% This conversion was done with Raw Developer. I did it again using C1 pro and checking the "purple fringing" box in the lens page eliminated the problem. Other's have pointed this out as the best way to manage this problem with the wide lux lenses. Below are crops illustrating this. Each was enlarged 5 times to make it more visible.

Raw Developer

original.jpg

C1 Pro

121520746.jpg

And here's a link to the full C1 conversion (won't make that mistake again!

guinness C.jpg photo - halperin photos at pbase.com

Lesson- Use C1 pro for this lens and probably for all M9 conversions as it has the best skin tones as well. I'm a loyal guy, I love Raw Developer and Brain it's creator, maybe he can add this feature. best....Peter

Peter,

As you have shown, I agree with you that C1 Pro does a good job the in taking care of the purple fringing. It seems that C1 Pro handles the issue of red edges of the 21mm Elmarit ASPH slightly better than LR 2.6. I am pleased with C1 Pro, just their workflow and file organization/management is not so good as LR. You always have to comprimise, it seems. Oh, well.

Joshua

The graininess in broad areas of the shadows, especially in the upper left and upper right corners, is much more noticeable than the purple fringing, which only affects very small areas. Is the graininess toward the corners caused by software compensation for vignetting?

ETA: The lens quality looks amazing & beautiful in the Guiness photo.

Edited by zlatkob

The graininess in broad areas of the shadows, especially in the upper left and upper right corners, is much more noticeable than the purple fringing, which only affects very small areas. Is the graininess toward the corners caused by software compensation for vignetting?

ETA: The lens quality looks amazing & beautiful in the Guiness photo.

I doubt it's caused by vignetting compensation which anyway wasn't specifically added during the conversion. The Iso was 640 (higher than needed at 1.4 for sure) and I think you are just seeing some shadow noise more prominent in the darker corners. best...Peter

Peter,

I compared the two images you processed differently. I noticed that "corner graininess" that zlatkob mentioned to be more pronounced in the image you posted here using RAW Developer than the one processed with Capture One on pBase. Did you notice that, too or is that my imagination? Did you do any vignetting adjustment on any of the two?

Thanks,

Joshua

Peter,

I compared the two images you processed differently. I noticed that "corner graininess" that zlatkob mentioned to be more pronounced in the image you posted here using RAW Developer than the one processed with Capture One on pBase. Did you notice that, too or is that my imagination? Did you do any vignetting adjustment on any of the two?

Thanks,

Joshua

Joshua- Without looking I'll say that Raw Developer is the converter with the highest resolution of any I have used. It may render "noise" with a little more "detail"! I did not do any vignetting adjustment on either conversion. best...Peter