Help identifying a Leica camera

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I’m trying to identify the model of a camera Leica, but I’m not being very much successful.

This is an early model, all black, with Leitz Elmar f: 3,5/50mm lens, but unfortunately I can’t find any serial number on it. I’ve already opened it (the bottom), since I’ve read that the serial number could be inscribed in the interior, but I didn’t see anything.

It has no inscriptions.

How can I identify this model?

Look at some pictures to see if your camera is among them. You can try the LeicaWiki: http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.de/index.php/Leica_Schraub-Kameras. I assume it is a screw mount camera since you mentioned that it is an early model. Usually with Leica you will find a serial number on the top plate.

Good luck!

Looks a Leica I, known also as "Model A" ... the first commercially available Leica, which dates to 1925... built until 1933-36; not rare, but of great historical value: the serial number (4 or, more probably, 5 digits) ought to be engraved on the top just in front of the accessory shoe... if can't be read, could be the top has been roughly re-painted... there must be also an engraving "Ernst Leitz DRP..." around the black collar of the times setting knob.

Try a closer inspection... is difficult it is a fake for, as I said, is not a rare item, not worth to be faked.

Edited by luigi bertolotti

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If that is the actual camera, it looks like a 1A to me. The serial number should be just in front of the flash shoe. There are however many fakes of these cameras.....

If you give more details (where you bought it & more detailed pics) we can possibly help further.

Edit - I had to answer a call and Luigi has commented in the meantime. Fakes do exist, and some are very good copies but are usually let down by minor detailing, if you post some close up photos of the controls, engraving and inside of the camera (base plate removed) it will help to ascertain if it's genuine or not.

Edited by earleygallery

James, do you think is worth to fake a Leica 1 ? I've just seen at Leicashop this outfit for sale:

16755_16.jpg

They are a trustable and no cheap dealer... and sell it for 690 Euros: I wonder how much a faker can hope to bring in for an item like the one depicted by Angela...:confused: (btw... the lens' engravings look in slightly different position - both at infinity, it seems...wonder if it's normal...)

Edited by jc_braconi
linking the picture and non attaching it preserving the copyright

Luigi, plenty on the web including Russian Fake Leicas

In the UK there is an antiques program on TV where people bring along their treasures to have them explained/valued. Some guy recently turned up with a gold Leica 'Berlin Olympic Games' edition (can't recall exactly which model it was supposed to be). He had no knowledge of Leica other than he knew they were expensive German cameras so was happy to pay £500 (I think it was that) for it and thought he'd grabbed a bargain!

Anyway, from the small pic posted the camera looks the part, although there are photos of fakes on the web without serial numbers, but if the OP can give us more info we'll be able to agree or disagree on this one! :)

I believe the solution is this: the front ring is threaded and screws on to the front of the lens.I think that there was no standard alignment between the start point of the thread and the engraving on the front ring.This would result in many alignments of the engraving,each differing randomly from other lenses.This is in addition to the three possible positions of the front ring when extended and locked.