M9 shutter metering issues

jamriman

Advertisement (gone after registration)

... I have noticed a similar problem in my M8, where there is a bright light source directly above and the lens axis, even one that with the cropped sensor is non-image forming. ...

The M9's meter pattern is different from M8's. According to Stefan Daniel in the Reichmann M9 intro video, the M9's pattern is intended to be functionally the same as that of the M7, M6 etc.

But I do think it's a good sign that backorders are being filled, when someone wants to start drawing on his shutter blades. :)

Edited by ho_co

The M9's meter pattern is different from M8's. According to Stefan Daniel in the Reichmann M9 intro video, the M9's pattern is intended to be functionally the same as that of the M7, M6 etc.

I don't think the issue I saw had anything to do with the metering pattern. Specifically, it was non-image forming light (outside the framelines and not evident in the resulting shot) from a bright source (the sun). I'm pretty sure that the light was either striking the metering cell directly, or reflecting off some internal part of the camera/lens onto the metering cell. It only happened when the light source was directly in front and above the camera. I noticed that the M8 has a centrally located metering cell, whereas my M7 has an offset one - I thought that might be why light coming from that angle confused the M8.

I was actually a little surprised they didn't put two metering cells into the M8/9, one on either side of the lens axis. Would have doubled the amount of information available and possibly allowed more accurate metering of more complex scenes.

But they would have lost the spot metering many of us appreciate.

Well, the metering cell in the M7 is located off to one side... so it's hard to understand how that would affect the 'spot' metering assuming the two cells were pointed at the middle of the metering pattern?

The M7 has a round spot on the shutter curtain, but the M8 needs the focussed field of the cell to create the spot. Two cells might be fine to enhance the sensitivity of the metering system,I supose, but I would say it would double the possibility of stray light hitting (one of) the cell(s).

I thought you meant they would be able to encompass the whole width of the grey/white band.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The M7 has a round spot on the shutter curtain, but the M8 needs the focussed field of the cell to create the spot. Two cells might be fine to enhance the sensitivity of the metering system,I supose, but I would say it would double the possibility of stray light hitting (one of) the cell(s).

I thought you meant they would be able to encompass the whole width of the grey/white band.

I was thinking that they could disregard the sensor with an unusually higher reading, assuming it was stray light. Probably quite an expensive way to avoid a fairly unusual situation though.

If they did set sensors up to measure different parts of the image, then presumably with an orientation sensor they could get fancy with deducing what is sky etc... I think I would prefer that not to happen, as it would be just one more auto-magic thing to go wrong.

I don't think the issue I saw had anything to do with the metering pattern. Specifically, it was non-image forming light (outside the framelines and not evident in the resulting shot) from a bright source (the sun). ...

David, on the M8 I've had the same problem and other problems that I think are related to internal reflections.

My point was just that we need to be careful generalizing from the M8's metering to that of the initial poster's M9 issues.

... I was actually a little surprised they didn't put two metering cells into the M8/9, one on either side of the lens axis. ...

:D Wow, then we'd have four cells on the floor of the camera instead of the current three! :D

IMHO, we all liked the metering of the M5, M6, M7. Leica is trying to return to that, but on a completely different platform. Not having an M9, I can't comment on their success, but they're moving in the right direction.

Edited by ho_co