Leica Grip, Thumb Device, Etc

sanyasi

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am curious, does the Leica grip make a big difference in steadying the camera? What about his thumb attachment that seems to go on top of the camera? Does using both double the steadiness or is using both redundant? My inclination is to use neither and see how things go.

Thanks

Jack Siegel

the camera is quite small and heavy and it's surfaces are slippery when wet and/or freezing cold or when using gloves. at these times i find a grip is invaluable and you may find that the thumbs-up device, which slips into the flash shoe then counter-balances and steadies everything like a wind lever on a film m. i've never found them essential until trying to operate my m8 wearing thick gloves with a heavy noctilux

I agree -- one or both are very useful when using gloves. I can even use the camera with mittens on. And, the heavier the glass, the more useful the combination becomes.

I keep them both mounted all the time as I keep my M-camera in my hand at all times instead of hanging from a neck strap. The grip lets the camera hand from my curled fingers (with a wrist strap to prevent accidental impact with the ground).

I find that having both is very comfortable, but people have gotten by just fine for dozens of years without them and I am sure I could, too. But I enjoy having them both and I can hold the camera at eye-level much longer (and perhaps a bit steadier) when using both.

I tired using the camera without the Thumbs-Up the other day and I missed it quickly, but maybe I'm just sentimental.

I have both, and I really like the feel. I can hold the camera steady at slower speeds (or at least it seems that way).

I have had a grip for years, starting with the winder for the M7. I just got the Thumbs Up. My plan is to put the Thumbs Up on the M9 (if it ever comes), and leave the grip on the M8.

If you can only get one, I'd vote for the Thumbs Up.

Of course, you can't use flash, but the Thumbs Up comes off easily enough if you need it.

I got a black paint one without the white lettering. It looks much better without the advertisement.

is the thumbs up thing suppose to replace the advance lever on the film cameras? by that i mean, where you can lodge your thumb. cause i don't lodge my thumb on the lever on the m6. or is it purely to give a better grip? i don't use the lever or have a grip for the m6 and i don't really find it easy to drop and i don't find it difficult to grip.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Had both, decided in the end that they weren't that useful - if it's slippery I use the strap with the camera across the body or wrapped around my wrist. I use Ms because they're small and they don't snag on bags etc. I prefer to keep them that way (maybe I should sell my grip!) :)

I also like M's because they are small, but the 1.5cm that the Thumbs Up sticks out at the back is a marginal inconvenience compared to the difference in length of lenses that can be attached to the front of the body. It is a fine line whether I use the Thumbs Up though, but for cold weather and wearing gloves it makes a lot of sense.

Steve

I use the grip, as I do on my M7. When shooting I generally keep the camera in my right hand with the strap would around my wrist. The grip allows me to relax my arm and still keep a firm hold on the camera.

Quite often when shooting with the M8, I end up holding the camera with my middle three fingers on the grip, my little finger curling underneath the camera, and pressing the shutter with my thumb. It sounds a bit awkward, but suits the size of my hand and allows a very controlled shutter release as I'm effectively squeezing back into my own hand.

Bumpons-type stickies work for me, too; I started using them with a D-Lux 2 awhile back; got them at TAP plastics. HUGE improvement. I put 2 on the front, 1 on the back of the M, where the thumb rests. I may switch them out for the square black ones that Radio Shack sells.

Larry

I use the grip and in IMHO it is essential. Makes carrying the camera more secure as well as provoding a steadier hold for slow speeds. I think this issue is purely one of personal preference, however.

I use the grip and in IMHO it is essential. Makes carrying the camera more secure as well as provoding a steadier hold for slow speeds. I think this issue is purely one of personal preference, however.

True. I have since sold my grip in favor of a less bulky feel. I even switched to the Artisan & Artist case which is less obstructive for those who prefer the thumbs up or eyecup. It's also very easy to get on and off. However, my Luigi case will always be there in case I change my mind.

Artisan & Artist*

I am constantly fooling around with various things...Thumbs Up, BumpOns...you name it. I finally ended up with a strip of Griptac from CameraLeather in combination with the Leica grip. It seems just enough to do the job and not get in the way...IMHO.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I have no problem using my M9 as is. A slight bulge in front to improve the finger grip would be pleasant, but it is in no way essential. And I do use the strap as intended. I would never traipse around with a six thousand euro camera just dangling from my fingertips. Remember Murphy's Law: Whatever can go wrong, will eventually go wrong.

When on 'outside duty' however, I do use a Luigi Crescenzi halfcase. This is the model without a finger grip, it has just a very slight bulge under my second, third and fourth fingers. This is enough even for one hand use (as when I am holding a flash in my left hand).

The old man

I tried the Radio Shack square 3M Bumpons. Looked horrible, felt horrible, but could be good for a user with expedition gloves on. The small round ones (also at Radio Shack) do the job for bare hands.

Larry

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!