M9: Passport warranty differs between countries?

parasko

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Leica could have properly sorted this in two easy ways, just give all the dealers exactly the same number of cameras in the first batch then say 'we are now changing the Passport scheme', or keep the 2 year scheme going until all initial orders were fulfilled.

Some dealers sell 10x as many cameras as others.

That seems a bit inequitable to me.

OK-like this:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Some dealers sell 10x as many cameras as others.

That seems a bit inequitable to me.

Yes that is perfectly true, and in the long run they get more cameras because they sell more cameras, it seems common sense. But if you don't like my idea I'm very interested in any you can contribute!

Steve

Hmmmm, my M9 is purchased from an authorised UK dealer and the Passport card is only valid for one year? November 2009 to November 2010. Do you guys really have one stamped for two years?

Steve

I am sure it says 2 years somewhere, but I have checked and both my M8.2 and M9 show only 1 year in the passport document...

:confused:

I think my contribution over the years stands up for itself.

Yes truly excellent over the years. I didn't mean any pressure for you to come up with something, its a light hearted topic with a decent amount of irony going on.

Steve

M9 bodies bought from UK authorised dealers come with a 2 year Passport Warranty covering accidental damage. Separate to this is the standard 2 year worldwide warranty against normal mechanical defects. In theory you will have to send the item to Milton Keynes for repairs under the Passport warranty but in practice Solms or NJ will probably do them.

Ian - can you go back and check your paper work - I think you're wrong on this - shame if you dropped it and thought you were still covered...

As far as I remember, the one year passport was introduced at the time the Digital M's came in - and applied to all M8s I bought + all M9s. If this is the case, and I really have no reason not to believe that it is, then NOTHING has been done in an underhand way and Steve (250swb) is flying off the handle for no good reason...

Edited by chris_tribble

Ian - can you go back and check your paper work - I think you're wrong on this - shame if you dropped it and thought you were still covered...

As far as I remember, the one year passport was introduced at the time the Digital M's came in - and applied to all M8s I bought + all M9s. If this is the case, and I really have no reason not to believe that it is, then NOTHING has been done in an underhand way and Steve (250swb) is flying off the handle for no good reason...

Did you see the scan of my passport?

HI Jaap

I saw the scan of your passport, and I guess Ian's is the same.

I understood that M8 had 1 year and M8.2 had two year

It would seem that most people are getting M9 passports saying one year - I'd guess that they made a mistake on some. Might be worth getting a letter from them saying that they'll honour the mistake (if it is one).

all the best

Jono

No, it does say valid until 8/10/2011. Mistake or not, I'd expect Leica UK to honour it (if they are still in business in 2011).

HI Jaap

I saw the scan of your passport, and I guess Ian's is the same.

I understood that M8 had 1 year and M8.2 had two year

It would seem that most people are getting M9 passports saying one year - I'd guess that they made a mistake on some. Might be worth getting a letter from them saying that they'll honour the mistake (if it is one).

all the best

Jono

I don't need or want a letter - this passport is legally binding.

No, it does say valid until 8/10/2011. Mistake or not, I'd expect Leica UK to honour it (if they are still in business in 2011).

I've sent off for my M9 passport warranty, but have yet to receive it back. As I paid the RRP I expect to be treated exactly the same way with a 2 year warranty.

Jeff

Ian - how interesting. I think they've made a mistake - and I think they should honour it!

In the light of all this, I think I'm going to write to Leica myself raising the issue too...

There's clearly an inconsistency which needs to be sorted out... As I bought mine full price from R.G. Lewis, I see no reason why we shouldn't be getting equivalent treatment.

I see this as cock-up rather than conspiracy - but interesting.

Could you maybe post a scan of your passport in the same way that Jaap and I have done - it'll be useful as leverage on Leica!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Ian - how interesting. I think they've made a mistake - and I think they should honour it!

In the light of all this, I think I'm going to write to Leica myself raising the issue too...

There's clearly an inconsistency which needs to be sorted out... As I bought mine full price from R.G. Lewis, I see no reason why we shouldn't be getting equivalent treatment.

I see this as cock-up rather than conspiracy - but interesting.

Could you maybe post a scan of your passport in the same way that Jaap and I have done - it'll be useful as leverage on Leica!

I'd already sent you a pm Chris, but that aside, it now seems a bit bloody rich that you are now writting to Leica when only seven posts ago you were saying 'I' was flying off the handle! And you didn't even buy your M9 before me!

Steve

Well - isn't it interesting.

Even if Leica changed the rules in the last month or so - Chris's first M9 should certainly have the two year passport - We have cameras bought on the same date with different passport periods!

Mine is due back from Leica any day now, so, of course, I'll report back on how long I get!

Jaap - I don't doubt that Leica will honour what it says, but I wonder whether it is legally binding if the terms and conditions elsewhere state 1 year?

Anyway - like Chris, I'm sure it's a cock-up rather than conspiracy, it'll be good to know the truth!

all the best

Jaap - I don't doubt that Leica will honour what it says, but I wonder whether it is legally binding if the terms and conditions elsewhere state 1 year?

The irony is that the camera is fully insured anyway:rolleyes: