Craving for more reach with the M9?

AGeoJO

Advertisement (gone after registration)

When I had my M8, I barely even used my 90mmm cron on it but now, with the M9, I am itching to get even more reach and I am considering of getting a 135mm lens. Once a gearhead always a gearhead :D, I guess. I know the 135mm APO-Telytlens is optically excellent but how difficult is it to focus on the M9? With or without magnifier?

Thanks,

Joshua

I have no idea--but I have one observation that may be helpful. In looking at the web sites of dealers who handle used lenses, I've noticed that 135 are the most plentiful lenses for resale, which suggests that people try it and decide that for whatever reason, it doesn't work for them.

Jack Siegel

I love the 135 Apo Tely on the M9 - and used it loads on the M8. It's not easy to focus fully open (but neither is a nocti they tell me :cool:). For me it's the ideal travel companion to the 28 cron asph or a 35. Get one - you'll love it.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Thank you, guys.

Chris, do you use a magnifier to focus in general or with the 135mm Telyt in particular? I used to love my magnifier and used it for every lens for the longest time. Lately, I took it off the camera and it seems like focusing is as easy and composing, since I can see the entire viewfinder, seems to be better.

Joshua

A 135 will have the angle of view as a 90 on your M8 so you know what to expect.

The 2.8 with goggles comes in 55 mm and ser 7 . 55 is improved slightly optically. Also can go on a viso. The goggles give a tunnel like effect but close to a full size image. While good, it is not the best optically.

135 4.0 tele Elmarit is close to APO performance. Also goes on a viso.

135 3.4 is optically APO but will not go on a viso as the head does not remove.

You may want the eyepiece magnifier for the last two.

I would not get te 135 4.5 Hector or 4.0 Elmar unless you are really on a budget.

Actually, I usually find my 135 f/4 to be easier to focus reliably than, say, 90 or 75 f/2+ lenses. Partly it's the smaller aperture, partly it's the really long focus throw (which allows me to "sneak up" on getting the two RF images to align exactly - and partly it's the longer shooting distance (for the same framing).

I.E. for a 3/4-angle portrait, @ 1.6 meters and f/4, the 135 usually gets both eyes in focus, whereas @ 1 meter or .8 meter, the faster, shorter lenses tend to get just one eye or the other @ f/2 (and can't blur the background as much/smoothly for separation if stopped down to f/4).

I know that sounds weird - the 135 has MORE localized DoF but also MORE background blur - but that's what turns up in my shots. BTW it was something I discovered 'way back in film days, and also enjoyed both the 135 (as a "180") and a 90 (as a "121mm") on the M8.

If I really have to work close, or need the big apertures for low-light, I use the 75 or 90. Otherwise, I prefer the 135. No magnifier.

BTW - I personally don't like the APO much. The focus throw is just too short and fast to nail focus as well as with the Tele-Elmar. Not a huge improvement in IQ, either. But a lighter lens, despite the extra half-stop in aperture.

135 Tele-Elmar, M9, St. Thomas iguana, full image

Edited by adan

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thank you, guys.

Chris, do you use a magnifier to focus in general or with the 135mm Telyt in particular?

Joshua

Joshua - I have a Leica magnifier but can never be bothered to use it - one issue is having to swap the diopter from the body to the magnifier - this is a real pain, the other is the way the magnifier snags things or bangs me in the face! Added to this I find I can focus fine without it! Take away my +3.5 diopter and I can't do a thing with an RF camera. With an optically correct finder, I have no problems focusing longer lenses.

The goggled 135 f/2.8 will work as well on the M9 as on a film or M8 body. Some are beautiful, and some have misaligned goggles that foul up the focusing (check before buying). I've never liked the weight or the constricted field of view. But when they work, they work.

I will also put in my vote for the 135/3.4 APO-Telyt. I have a magnifier but I find I don't really need it for any of my long lenses.

+1. I use the lens with a 1.4x magnifier and I'm glad I did not sell the lens when I had the M8. A brilliant performer.