Photoshop Elements, nothing more for me

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi!

I often notice that Lightroom and several other more or less complex and advanced programs are used in the post processing. Often even a combination of several programs linked together in a workflow.

I have been using PS Elements as my only program, since I started with digital photo nearly 20 years ago.
It works fine for me, and in some way it is like the Leica M: Keep it simple/hold on to the essentials.

The more advanced programs stresses me in the same way that I can get distracted and bewildered by any kind of overwhelming myriad of choices and more or less necessary decisions.
The non-artistic aspects of technicalities and "pixel-peeping-mentality" can bring me in unwanted directions.

Anyone else who only use Elements?

• Like 1

Sorry, no.  I use Capture One and Affiniti Photo.  While I often don't do more than what PS Elements is capable of, Capture One is my catalog and a really easy way to adjust for proofing.  Affiniti takes the place of PhotoShop when I need to do more editing on a specific image than what I'm comfortable doing in Capture One.

Elements is good for what it does, but it's not a one-and-done solution, at least not for me. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I have been without my main computer for some time. A replacement is being  built. Meanwhile I have resorted to using my Galaxy tablet and Snapseed. I have been astonished by its ability, and found that it incorporates control point technology from Nik software. The features I miss most are the catalogue and search system in LR. I believe PS Elements has a search facility. Do you use? If so, what is your assessment of it?

Edited by wda
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, Strmbrg said:

Hi!

I often notice that Lightroom and several other more or less complex and advanced programs are used in the post processing. Often even a combination of several programs linked together in a workflow.

I have been using PS Elements as my only program, since I started with digital photo nearly 20 years ago.
It works fine for me, and in some way it is like the Leica M: Keep it simple/hold on to the essentials.

The more advanced programs stresses me in the same way that I can get distracted and bewildered by any kind of overwhelming myriad of choices and more or less necessary decisions.
The non-artistic aspects of technicalities and "pixel-peeping-mentality" can bring me in unwanted directions.

Thank you for posting this, for me it's highly relevant having this weekend gone through a couple of hours of frustrating online help from Adobe in trying to resurrect my Lightroom Classic that had for some reason decided that I was no longer a subscriber to the basic plan of LrC 2024 and Ps 2024 even though my monthly payments were totally up to date. The "resurrection" went ok, the Adobe customer help person was helpful and knew what to do, but the process over the annoying "Chat" interface sucked away two slow slow hours of my life before LrC came back working on my iMac.

I have tried EXPOSURE recently, and it's ok but I didn't feel it could draw me away from Lightroom Classic, and of course there are others out there too, BUT I want to get away from being on the "hook" of a subscription based PP programme/application, so yes I have been considering PS Elements.

My Post production needs are pretty simple, my work is primarily in B&W, I work my images to print them, not to post online anywhere or anyhow. I don't do any image manipulation either, just re-frame perhaps, adjust densities and contrast to my eye's needs then clean up the image prior to print to my Epsons, ( SC-P6000 / SC-P800/3800 Pro ). I take my photo's to print them if they prove to be worth that, otherwise they get binned after me trying to make something of them and failing to do so. Photoshop is pretty much a mystery to me and I hardly use it, maybe only when a film image needs some extensive repair otherwise 95% of my work is handled through Lightroom Classic on an iMac that dedicated to just my photography "stuff" and nothing else.........I'd love to be able to run that Mac totally offline, but Adobe will not allow you to use LrC and Ps without it being able to check that you are a "legal" subscriber, you have to work online and I hate that!

So, I may well try out Elements now, can I ask which version you are running, and also are there catalogue issues with Elements that I would miss having used LrC's cataloguing and having grown to depend on it?

Edited by Smudgerer

1 hour ago, Strmbrg said:

The non-artistic aspects of technicalities and "pixel-peeping-mentality" can bring me in unwanted directions

I can relate to that very much. But nonetheless I use Capture One, which is a quite complex and highly capable editor. 
I distinguish between finishing and editing. In editing I don’t do much. I have a linear custom-made DNG interpretation that allows to bypass any colour science and gamma curves besides what Leica bakes into the DNG. I use only a selection of gamma curves in the curve tool and have set the levels tool to independent RGB channels. That way, I get very good colour separation. I never touch brightness and contrast, or any of the HDR sliders except highlights. I want my images clear and simple in their look and quickly to be made. If an images takes longer than a few seconds, chances are high that it’s a mediocre photo. 
Finishing, on the other hand, can take longer as this has a lot to do with cropping, retouching, texture/grain, and sharpening. I only do that for images that will see the public online or as a print.  

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've been happily using some version of Elements for some time (my current version is 2021).  I shoot a great deal and do not have the time to process RAW, so I shoot jpeg only.  I detest the subscription model.  It would be nice to have some of the special add-on apps, but I can live without them.  I do not use the catalogue functions, instead relying on my folder system and being able to search our site electronically.

I'm also angry at Adobe.  Their old Photoshop CS3 has an app called Contribute, which I had been using for creating new text pages and editing existing text pages on our site.  However, I had a computer crash, and when I tried to activate CS3 on my new computer I found that Adobe had retired the server that grants activation via key codes.  Fair enough since its costs them to maintain old, legacy systems.  Speaking at length with Adobe tech and with Adobe sales, the best I could do was to buy (which I did not) an application which they finally admitted would not do what I needed to do.

Anybody know of something like CS3's Contribute?

• Like 1

Depending on who hosts your website Stuart,  I would have thought any wordprocesser would allow you to draft text, edit it, and then add it to your Web pages.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Regarding catalogue and searching:

I only use a simple folder-system in Windows. One for every year and there inside a folder for each month.
It is very simple, and I do not keep more than maybe at most a few hundred RAW-files per month, so no need for a more advanced and complex catalogue.
The photos that I have PS-processed is kept in one separate folder without any sub-folders.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

PS
Much of what is mentioned above (names on different programs et cetera) is totally unknown for me. 🙂
I have tried some more complex-variants but it robs my focus from the simple creative-part and instead pushes me in some kind of technical-oriented, hyper detailed mindset, that for me is not so very pleasing.

Edited by Strmbrg
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Strmbrg said:

Hi!

Well having posted on this earlier in the thread I went to Adobe's PS ELEMENTS webpages to check out the 2024 specifications, then noticed it was "on sale". What's not to like about that?..........So for about 70 bucks I bought, downloaded and installed it, I will check it out this week when time permits, thanks for the "nudge" Strmbrg!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Smudgerer said:

Well having posted on this earlier in the thread I went to Adobe's PS ELEMENTS webpages to check out the 2024 specifications, then noticed it was "on sale". What's not to like about that?..........So for about 70 bucks I bought, downloaded and installed it, I will check it out this week when time permits, thanks for the "nudge" Strmbrg!

Each version I've bought has been around that price.

I have PSE 14. Suppose that means that it is a 2014-version. 
As one (of several) example of how completely stupid and uninitiated I am: I still do not understand the purpose of layers. My photos are in RAW-format and if I want to edit and store them there will automatically be done in JPEG as a copy. Why bother with layers? Some mention the analogy with RAW as a "negative" which is kept for making independent copies in JPEG out of.
I do not get it...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Strmbrg said:

I have PSE 14. Suppose that means that it is a 2014-version. 
As one (of several) example of how completely stupid and uninitiated I am: I still do not understand the purpose of layers. My photos are in RAW-format and if I want to edit and store them there will automatically be done in JPEG as a copy. Why bother with layers? Some mention the analogy with RAW as a "negative" which is kept for making independent copies in JPEG out of.
I do not get it...

Layers allow for editing to be done gradually, and reversibly.   You have a lot more flexibility seeing what you're doing and you can toggle layers off and on.   If you're editing an image heavily, and in a number of areas, you can do it in layers, and if you screw up something, you can just delete that layer without having to re-do all of the editing globally.  You can mask certain areas either for editing or to NOT be edited.  

1 hour ago, hepcat said:

Layers allow for editing to be done gradually, and reversibly.   You have a lot more flexibility seeing what you're doing and you can toggle layers off and on.   If you're editing an image heavily, and in a number of areas, you can do it in layers, and if you screw up something, you can just delete that layer without having to re-do all of the editing globally.  You can mask certain areas either for editing or to NOT be edited.  

Okay! So it is about convenience and maybe time-saving, rather than image-quality then?

Posted (edited)

Even with Photoshop itself you only need to learn the things you want to use, so if Layers is a worry and you've never used it, don't. For many people DXo Nik Collection as a plugin does away with Layers and many other tools within PSE, Lightroom and Photoshop and makes complicated tasks very easy.

Edited by 250swb

9 minutes ago, 250swb said:

Even with Photoshop itself you only need to learn the things you want to use, so if Layers is a worry and you've never used it, don't. For many people DXo Nik Collection as a plugin does away with Layers and many other tools within PSE, Lightroom and Photoshop and makes complicated tasks very easy.

I think I use and have knowledge of about only a very small fraction of what one can do with Elements.

I also think that we all are quite different regarding how much we want to discover about all possibilities and features programs like these can offer.
Maybe slightly the same differences regarding our cameras: Some dive deep into "menues, knobs and buttons" and discovers everything. Some only learn just the basics they need to get the images they want and skip the rest.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Strmbrg said:

I think I use and have knowledge of about only a very small fraction of what one can do with Elements.

I also think that we all are quite different regarding how much we want to discover about all possibilities and features programs like these can offer.
Maybe slightly the same differences regarding our cameras: Some dive deep into "menues, knobs and buttons" and discovers everything. Some only learn just the basics they need to get the images they want and skip the rest.

You are right. That's human nature. Why waste time learning functions and techniques you will never use?

On the other hand,  I am rather pleased that I learned the basic features of Snapseed, it has enabled me to prepare images to illustrate an article here. https://david2008.photium.com/news113688.html It is a personal choice what you choose to embrace, or ignore. Life is full of decisions. 

1 minute ago, wda said:

You are right. That's human nature. Why waste time learning functions and techniques you will never use?

On the other hand,  I am rather pleased that I learned the basic features of Snapseed, it has enabled me to prepare images to illustrate an article here. https://david2008.photium.com/news113688.html It is a personal choice what you choose to embrace, or ignore. Life is full of decisions. 

Yes, life is full of decisions, indeed! Sometimes (or rather very often) I prefer not to be distracted by all decisions. This my attitude involves mostly everything in our modern life.
Often one is forced to decide and chose between many alternatives, but also very often, most of the alternatives are - in reality - all in the category "same-same".

😵

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Strmbrg said:

You are very lucky that you have a camera that does exactly what you want and no more, no need to upgrade it then 😁

13 minutes ago, 250swb said:

You are very lucky that you have a camera that does exactly what you want and no more, no need to upgrade it then 😁

Well it does not. 😄
But maybe we have different approaches. I am very focused on composing. Not only when taking the picture, even more when deciding the final symmetry and "cutting". Very seldom I use the whole image because the objects in it does not correspond to the sensor proportions. On the other hand I am not so very focused on - for example - white-balance-issues down to the minute colour-temperature-degree.
Another aspect that is important to me is to get rid of any distractions in the image. By that I mean for example a small bright spot that bewilders the eye or something distracting out in the edges or corners. Tidy up the image is therefore of great concern for me. Often that can be done without so much "peeping", the purpose is just to get rid of the distraction.

• Like 1