Photoshop Elements, nothing more for me

Advertisement (gone after registration)

7 hours ago, hansvons said:

You are missing something. The Intuos Pros are THE interface of choice for retouchers, compositors etc around the world. It takes a week or so to get familiar. 

Very probably that little pen-tablet would work a lot more as intended after som training. But one thing is almost certain in comparison with my thumb-ball-mouse:
When I lift my thumb from the ball, there is nothing changing. The marker on the screen is where I left it to stay. With a pen, it is very different, since the "transmission" continues and does not stop immediately. 
I returned the pen-tablet and bought a new thumb-ball-mouse to replace my old, worn one. 
My purpose of nearly everything I buy for this hobby is to get rid of distractions (or at least, that is my ambition...).
This can be distractions in post-processing workflow or in taking the photo.

All the gear (and functions as well as options to chose between) should ideally behave like an old, discreet, trustworthy butler. Just do what I want, without any attention to itself.
And - when the gear "behaves" ideally according to that - without taking my mental energy away from creativity or ability to see and discover.

1 minute ago, Strmbrg said:

The marker on the screen is where I left it to stay. With a pen, it is very different, since the "transmission" continues and does not stop immediately. 

This is intentional. It's essential to understand the pad as a mirror of your screen. Once you get the hang of it, there is no turning back to a mouse or ball. It's much faster and more precise when painting and rotoscoping stuff. However, if the ball works well for you, why change that?

5 minutes ago, Strmbrg said:

My purpose of nearly everything I buy for this hobby is to get rid of distractions (or at least, that is my ambition...).

You may be surprised 😉 but that's precisely the mantra of professionals, too, as time is money and focusing on the essentials means quality. 

With that in mind, there's a reason why people who earn their living with image-making tend to use either LR or Capture One despite their complexity. For one, you can streamline your workflow to your essentials through Presets (LR) or Styles (C1); C1 even offers a customizable tool set. However, when needed, you can finish a photo properly within the application (C1 allows that through layers and AI-powered tools). Plus, both applications have a project-based (C1) or general library system (LR and C1), which is handy once you lose track of your photos. 

The downside is that the learning curve ahead can be pretty steep (C1) and less so (LR). But once you are past that, your photographic life may benefit tremendously–or not. It all depends on what you expect your photos to be. There's a reason why camera manufacturers still offer ready-made JPEGs. Many photographers use JPEGs all the time. 

I think that it also depends of quantity and the need of speed.
I mean: I have lot of time in my life and am not really "multi-tasking". I am quite restrictive in selecting photos to save. See no real purpose of up-speeding or time-saving aspects in itself. However, if things takes distractingly long time to do, or are distractingly complex to do - it will be frustrating, due to the focus-shift from the final goal, to the process of reaching it.

The methods of getting to the final goal may vary and may be of different choice for different people, but the methods - since they are so many of them to chose from - tends to dominate over the final result or goal quite often these days. This is of course not at all only a matter in photographing. It is a tendency in almost everything nowadays. 😵

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have recently gotten a Microsoft Surface Pro with Windows 10 Pro.  I have LR & PS on 2 computers and Adobe doesn't allow you to have a 3rd copy without disabling or signing out of one of the other ones.  This is something I'd prefer not to do.   The Surface Pro is mainly for reviewing/editing while traveling and I'm looking for a basic program as I don't need a lot of bells & whistles.  

I've been considering Elements but really don't want to pay for it in case I don't like it.  Will it process DNG files?  I've seen a lot of these programs that are essentially a bunch of "looks" or presets which I don't want.  I just want the basics or something like Lightroom has.  Can Elements do that?  I'm also considering Raw Therapee (It's free) or downloading a stand-alone version of Lightroom 5.7.1.  

54 minutes ago, Camaro5 said:

I have recently gotten a Microsoft Surface Pro with Windows 10 Pro.  I have LR & PS on 2 computers and Adobe doesn't allow you to have a 3rd copy without disabling or signing out of one of the other ones.  This is something I'd prefer not to do.   The Surface Pro is mainly for reviewing/editing while traveling and I'm looking for a basic program as I don't need a lot of bells & whistles.  

I've been considering Elements but really don't want to pay for it in case I don't like it.  Will it process DNG files?  I've seen a lot of these programs that are essentially a bunch of "looks" or presets which I don't want.  I just want the basics or something like Lightroom has.  Can Elements do that?  I'm also considering Raw Therapee (It's free) or downloading a stand-alone version of Lightroom 5.7.1.  

I don't shoot raw, but I do use Elements.  I went into Elements help and found this page which talks about DNG processing:  Process camera raw images in Photoshop Elements (adobe.com)

Have a look at the Adobe description of Elements - I'm certain you'll find that it does everything you want it to do.  Think of it as Photoshop-Lite, without the subscription costs.  You can usually buy Elements for about $75.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Camaro5 said:

I've been considering Elements but really don't want to pay for it in case I don't like it.

Adobe offers a 30 day free trial.  You will know quickly whether you like it or not.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, Camaro5 said:

The Surface Pro is mainly for reviewing/editing while traveling and I'm looking for a basic program as I don't need a lot of bells & whistles.

Bridge?  I don't think there are limitations on use.  It will let you review and use ACR to make basic adjustments.

3 hours ago, Camaro5 said:

Raw Therapee processing is probably going to look different by default to what you get with LR/ACR, which may or may not be an issue. LR 5.x is no longer sold, so any download is likely to be dubious unless you already have a licence and can find the official installer. If you're considering Elements, they have a trial version. Bridge doesn't need a paid subscription, but I don't think it can save edits to anything except metadata on its own.

With Elements you can download ACR.  It's not a full-featured version but would get the job done.  I'm going to try the trial version.  

Raw Therapee has an Adobe DNG converter that may or may not work well with the Leica raw DNG's.  

Either of these two would be fine for editing on the go.  I don't do much to my Raw files anyway outside of the basics.  My images get processed through LR/PS once I get home, and I just need something to do some light editing while sitting in a hotel room at night.  Last trip I shot Raw+JPG and just edited the JPG's on the small Android tablet I had to save space.  It was okay, but this should be better than that.  

Posted (edited)
On 4/15/2024 at 3:57 PM, Camaro5 said:

...I've been considering Elements but really don't want to pay for it in case I don't like it.  Will it process DNG files?...I just want the basics or something like Lightroom has.  Can Elements do that?

Yes. Here is a screengrab showing a Leica DNG file brought into Elements (this is an old version : Ps Elements 15) showing a few little tweaks to the file (mainly taking the Highlights down) using the Tools panel at the right hand side;

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

As seen here just below the histogram the current tab (icon is a lens' diaphragm) contains basic exposure tools and the sliders controlling primary settings are very effective. The pair of triangles to the right of the 'diaphragm' tab controls initial sharpening and noise reduction tools. Third tab has basic profile selection (Adobe? Embedded?).

Once these basic settings have been chosen one just clicks the 'Open Image' tab (bottom right) to bring the processed-out file into Ps Elements for the main part of Post-Production.

I had been a loyal user of the full version of Ps until Adobe started to hold everyone to ransom after CS6. I bought Elements to install on my new laptop once my old laptop started to misbehave. The only feature I miss from CS6 is having complete control over every part of the Tone Curve ('Relative Log E' to be precise) but in truth I can do everything I've ever needed to do with Elements.

Philip.

Edited by pippy
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, pippy said:

Yes. Here is a screengrab showing a Leica DNG file brought into Elements (this is an old version : Ps Elements 15) showing a few little tweaks to the file (mainly taking the Highlights down) using the Tools panel at the right hand side;

As seen here just below the histogram the current tab (icon is a lens' diaphragm) contains basic exposure tools and the sliders controlling primary settings are very effective. The pair of triangles to the right of the 'diaphragm' tab controls initial sharpening and noise reduction tools. Third tab has basic profile selection (Adobe? Embedded?).

Once these basic settings have been chosen one just clicks the 'Open Image' tab (bottom right) to bring the processed-out file into Ps Elements for the main part of Post-Production.

I had been a loyal user of the full version of Ps until Adobe started to hold everyone to ransom after CS6. I bought Elements to install on my new laptop once my old laptop started to misbehave. The only feature I miss from CS6 is having complete control over every part of the Tone Curve ('Relative Log E' to be precise) but in truth I can do everything I've ever needed to do with Elements.

Philip.

I have recently been using Snapseed on my Galaxy tablet  and have been greatly impressed. It has certainly proved itself as perfect for travel. As an experiment,  l tweaked WB using the eyedropper  on a zoomed-in section of a black downpipe. (Philip, if you disapprove, I will willingly delete it).

PS Elements is on my shortlist too.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, wda said:

...As an experiment,  l tweaked WB using the eyedropper  on a zoomed-in section of a black downpipe. (Philip, if you disapprove, I will willingly delete it).

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

😸

Thank you very much for the thoughtful offer, David, but I wouldn't dream of it! Anyhow; you have taken the concept of 'Colour Fringing' to a whole new level!

Who knows? With Wimbledon Fortnight just a month-and-a-bit away and their colours being Green and Purple it might be a fine Commercial Proposition?...

My brother (himself a happy M9-P owner) uses Snapseed which is installed on his Tablet and it can do some very interesting things with monochrome images using their 'Colour  Contrast Filters'.

On the subject of rendering images in monochrome my own preferred version of the above pic(*) was posted, yesterday, in the 'View Through Older Glass' thread and is, indeed, in B'n'W.

Philip.

* EDIT : It was selected for this thread simply because it happens to be the latest image I've uploaded on to the Forum (it was only snapped on the previous day).

Edited by pippy
  • Haha 1

Just an update to report that I did get a trial version of Elements and liked it a lot, especially since you can download Camera Raw as part of it.  It was a good thing that I did get the trial version because the Surface Pro tablet itself was a refurbished item and ended up having a few issues.  It got returned for a refund and I'm debating whether or not to get another one.  

The Dell laptop I have now is fine, just a little too big for airline travel but nothing too bad.  If I didn't already have LR & PS on it, I'd definitely have Elements.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Switch to Apple for all your stuff 😉 
Android/PC/Windows are more aimed at the business, home and general market, Mac more at the design/photographic user. Both of course cover the middle ground and general use pretty well, but in my experience Mac is less hassle for us photography/video blokes.

On 5/4/2024 at 8:07 PM, jaapv said:

Switch to Apple for all your stuff 😉 
Android/PC/Windows are more aimed at the business, home and general market, Mac more at the design/photographic user. Both of course cover the middle ground and general use pretty well, but in my experience Mac is less hassle for us photography/video blokes.

But is seems like nearly every computer and software problem reported here is a Mac problem whether its about versions, updates, upgrades, new/old software not working, etc.?

Posted (edited)

I have a Windows desktop and MacBook. I have zero problems running high end graphics software on a Windows PC: Adobe, Davinci, Topaz, Nik and, in the past, Capture One and others. I have run most of the same on my MacBook, where the only problem is the screen is too small (which shows up when travelling, but is easily solved with a second monitor at home); also, in my configuration (M1 Pro), it is underpowered compared to the PC - but that's not a design issue, just a purchase choice. IMO, differences in comfort with Mac or Windows are down to the user mindset rather than the hardware/software design.

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, 250swb said:

But is seems like nearly every computer and software problem reported here is a Mac problem whether its about versions, updates, upgrades, new/old software not working, etc.?

Judging by other computer threads, like “ what to buy” “ how much memory “ and postprocessing threads, the vast majority of forum members appears to be  Mac users, so it is hardly surprising that the problem threads show the same trend. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, LocalHero1953 said:

I have a Windows desktop and MacBook. I have zero problems running high end graphics software on a Windows PC: Adobe, Davinci, Topaz, Nik and, in the past, Capture One and others. I have run most of the same on my MacBook, where the only problem is the screen is too small (which shows up when travelling, but is easily solved with a second monitor at home); also, in my configuration (M1 Pro), it is underpowered compared to the PC - but that's not a design issue, just a purchase choice. IMO, differences in comfort with Mac or Windows are down to the user mindset rather than the hardware/software design.

I use Windows professionally and Mac privately and I would say that they stability of both systems is equal. In the end the structure of Mac software matches my mind a bit better, that isall. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 250swb said:

Yes. And that's easy to pin down to outdated software. Macs are highly convenient if the user is not a tinkering IT enthusiast and sticks to the recommended updates and upgrades. When greed or budget don't allow for that, you'll be bitten by progress at some point. If you are that person stick with Windows. 

I'm platform agnostic, and I used Windows and Linux Redhat for a decade on professional editing workstations. I now use a Mac for the same work because that formidable M-architecture allows both convenience and power. My Mac machine for everything is a MacBook Pro M1 16" with 64 RAM, a brilliant beast. Can't get any better.