Do you think I'm crazy?

Andydg

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I currently shoot Nikon digital and really miss having to 'work' for my images. Now it is pretty much point and shoot, though my gear is capable of a lot more I've become lazy. I've been thinking of selling it and going with the M7 starter kit that Leica offers. Selling my Nikon gear would just about cover the cost of the kit, plus some film.

I know the longer I wait, the less the digital gear is worth. Looking for others opinions on this idea.

I will be keeping my E-1 and a couple of Leica digital cameras (really Panasonics, but who cares).

Andy,

I've been shooting digital Nikon for many years now, and recently I came to the same conclusion as you did. I missed the organic approach to photography with film... I have a ton of experience with digital workflows as I do that for a living, but there's nothing like the feeling of not having a CPU doing most of the stuff for you.

I love the D2X and it's a great camera, but I just also needed something else. So last week, I dove back into the world of film photography. I now have all the things I need to develop my own negatives at home, a ton of BW film and a Leica MP with the 35 Lux.

I could not be happier.

I don't think anyone here is going to think you are crazy. This is the "choir." I don't think you'll be disappointed with the results you will get with the Leica. The thing is, working with a rangefinder is a very different experience than working with an SLR. Not everyone gets on with it. I like it, and I appreciate the aspects of RF shooting that are superior to SLR's (IMO), like wide angle, low light, slower shutter speed, nearly silent shutter and smaller camera and lens. Only you can decide if it's for you. Can you rent or borrow a rangefinder from someone to try out before you make the plunge?

No you are not crazy. I just got an M7 to complement my MPs. I have been through a number of DSLRs and now back to film, and yes it feels to me with automation everything seems too easy, and I just don't take it seriously enough and the result suffers. A manual camera forces you to slow down and chances are you will also pay more attention to composition and other factors. M7 starter kit sounds like a great idea!

I've been through this - twice! Once upon a time, I was burned out by the then high tech Nikon F4 - sold most of my Nikon AF gear and got a Hassleblad. Then I did it again when I got into the M system...

The more digital I shoot at my day job, the more film I want to shoot for my own stuff. I say go for it...try it out with a few different film stocks and see what you get. Film can still do some amazing stuff.

You're not crazy, yet.

The film/digital predicament is a roundabout and it's difficult to stick with just one of them unless you are extremely determined. Much depends IMO on the destination of your images - prints come easily from film, Tiffs come more readily from digital. They can do the same in the end.

I find great satisfaction from carrying and shooting my MP and M3 and dislike carrying my Canon DSLR kit.

Leica photographers aren't normal people Martin. By choice, normal people drive vanilla cars, eat Big Macs by the billions, guzzle Starbucks Lattes and shoot Jr. with a digital P&S.

Leica photographers buy their camera, and are forced to drive vanilla cars, eat Big Macs, and treat themselves to an occassional Latte because all their money went to Leica ... and then shoot Jr. with a $8,000. Leica kit ... LOL.

Anyway, I don't think it's crazy ... if I did, it would be admiting that I'm crazy also : -)

I have to shoot with a Canon DSLR, and really have the system down pat. But I have no joy in doing so. Joy is to set the machine gun down and pick up an Olympic level target pistol ... an MP3 with a few fine lenses. Ahhhh, the feel of it. Nice photos too.

NYC: MP3, 50/1.4 ASPH

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Do I think you are crazy? Yup, you are whacked like the rest of us. I notice you are not that whacked as to part with your Olympus E1 though—and wild horses could not get me to part with it, it is the most underrated camera out there and I love it. So when my M7 starter kit arrives in two weeks time I'll make sure to hang on to it and those wonderful Zuiko lenses.

Looking back (hindsight is such a wonderful thing isn't it?) I should have bought in to the M system nine years ago when I made the mistake of buying the Contax G2. There are many wonderful aspects to the G2, don't get me wrong, but what a racket it makes and I could write a book about its auto-focus nightmare.

To answer your question more precisely—I think photographers in general are whacked We are either crazy for thinking about going back to film, or whacked for being prepared to sit for untold hours on end in front of a VDU screen. Either way you're a head-case—so just choose your madness and enjoy the craft of image creation.

Sunyata.

PS. If anyone would like to make me a reasonable offer on the G2 kit (including the 21mm) I'd be willing to consider it.

PPS. for those who would like to bring to my attention the low light auto focus nightmare of the E1, don't bother, I could write a book about that too!

:)

@Marc: "... here he comes to save my day!"

did you honestly believe, I would consider myself among the normal people?;)

I just had to explain to the best wife among all, that just holding a MP is as good as it gets. Well, she was hesitant to follow my thought and left for her beauty sleep. And she wouldn't like to comment on my concern about a black chrome M7 body matching to a silver chrome 35 asph cron and 21 asph elmarit.

The M7 is the one camera you might want, Andy.

Not for the sheer results (being most likely excellent) but for the way how you got them. The "how to get them" might be still a bit topped by the MP. Yet, compared to a digicam of any make all M's do come along a bit edgy - but way less intrusive.

So stay a-normal!

cheers

not with a bang, but with a whimper...

Andy,

another option would be to consider the R9 + DMR. just last week i took off the digital back and shot film all weekend. This weekend i might do the same or put the digital back on. The system is great (lenses and accessoris), and switching between film and digital is about 1 minute and can be done in the field.

The Leica r i beleive is the ONLY 35 mm hybrid system

Thanks everyone for the support and comments. I'll respond again once I've a chance to shoot a few rolls through the loaner, hopefully next weekend!:D

I had considered the R9 also, but I'm trying to get away from slr bodies. (with the exception of my E-1)

If your crazy, then so am I. I purchased an M7 Kit about a year ago. At the time it was almost an impulse buy. Now I'm very pleased to have it. Ive never been a rangefinder person until now. It grows on you.

Hey Marc that is an awesome photo from NYC, I also found your comments on the Big Mac and Starbucks very funny.

Thanks,

Steve

P.S. Ive been lurking here for a long time !!!

Andy,

I would keep the Nikon gear and save for the Leica gear. As much as I love shooting with my M7, and I have the Leica bug (although not as bad as most guys on this forum) there are those days where I am just plain happy to have digital gear at my disposal. I shoot both Canon digital and Leica film.

Cheers,

Wilfredo+

Benitez-Rivera Photography