Do you think I'm crazy?

Andydg

I have a Digilux-1 and a couple of manual Leicas. The digital does what I want it to when I must have quick turnround - rarely. It comes nowhere near the tactile qualities of shooting film with a Leica. Though some say that the Leica feel comes with the M8. it just isn't film.

Andy,

Thinking of Leica's starter kit? Starter kit makes me think of something cheap so you can give a go at it. Going with M7 is like starting with the Mercedes of rangefinder. I shoot digital for work but I don't own a digital camera. There is nothing to replace the clarity of the rangefinder's viewfinder. Plus, handling an M7 or any M for that matter will give you feeling like nothing else (absolutely nothing else). And, you will be using your mind to create with all the simplicity that an M has to offer.

You are very lucky to be able to "borrow" an M7 just to try it out. Good for you.

Cheers!

I don't think you're crazy either (or you're just crazy enough... however you want to look at it). I prefer to shoot with my rangefinders whenever possible for all the usual reasons (control, handling, etc). Although it's not about shooting film in my case, since I use both an R-D1 and an Leica M depending on my mood.

However, I shoot my D2x in much the same way: manual focus prime lenses, aperture priority or manual metering. So I have to "work" for my images just as much as with the rangefinders. Well, except I don't need to cock the shutter. After all, you don't have to use a DSLR like a P&S, but it's nice to able to when I'm feeling, well, lazy, like you said...

j

and going with the M7 starter kit that Leica offers.

Dear Andy,

now on a bit more serious note: spend those extra bucks for the summilux 50 asph which is the one you will be ending up with anyway:D

The extra stop (DoF and speed) plus the quite outstanding performance made me sell my Summicron. The Noctilux was sold as well as it was simply to big and heavy and not suitable as the sole 50mm, even besides the Tri-Elmar. The latter is gone too, as speed was an issue.

and going with the M7 starter kit that Leica offers.

Dear Andy,

now on a bit more serious note: spend those extra bucks for the summilux 50 asph which is the one you will be ending up with anyway:D

The extra stop (DoF and speed) plus the quite outstanding performance made me sell my Summicron. The Noctilux was sold as well as it was simply to big and heavy and not suitable as the sole 50mm, even besides the Tri-Elmar. The latter is gone too, as speed was an issue.

I second this suggestion. The 50 ASPH 'lux is a phenomenal lens.

....it is great reading this in our time now. the only existing thing in the leica world seems to be the M8 and it sort of makes me smile. how many of them said, no electronic in my beautiful M camera in even refusing the M7. and now.......I'm sure many of them jump on the M8 and digital has become the way to go for them.

I use an M7 with a 2/35asph and just added a used sf20 flash. shooted digital for years but sold all my digital stuff to get a M7 a couple of years ago and an old Rolleiflex 3.5f is my other cam.

I've been thinking of selling it and going with the M7 starter kit that Leica offers.

The kit is fine if you've no idea what setup you want.

However, with the advice of members of this Forum, I think you'll find yourself able to make more knowledgeable choices than you could otherwise---and actually save some money in the process.

If you want the 50's "normal" view of the world, and size is not a big issue, then by all means go for the ASPH. It is arguably the best lens in the Leica lineup. It takes marvelous photos in every situation. It's rumored to have the "old glass" of the Leitz production process that makes it very very special indeed.

If it's important to keep the size to a minimum, and you like the 35 (which a goodly number of us think is the "normal" lens for the M), or your budget won't

afford the 50 ASPH, then go with the 35f2ASPH. Great lens in its own right, incredibly versatile, and compact in size.

Also, don't forget the $500 rebate on film body M's available thru the end of this month for US and Canadian customers.

deal.sml.gif

Thanks.

Allan

Well I got the camera today. Wow!! :D Though I haven't seen any results yet, just the camera that he loaned me is just gorgous. He said I'm the first to put a roll of film through it, as it was sitting on a shelf. If I don't get an M7 kit, this one would definitely be on my list!:)

Image taken with the C Lux 1.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• 2 weeks later...

I almost went through with it, alas the buyer of my D2x did not. His wife told him to get a 'new' D2xs instead of my used one. Oh well, cannot afford it any other way right now. I returned the M6 reluctantly to its owner. A sad day indeed.:(

In the meantime I'll start saving for an M7 or MP as I read this new book I purchased, 'Leica M' by Gunter Osterloh.

Considering the kind of kick ass, unbelievably detailed digital files you can get BY SCANNING C41 Neg film I'd say you are right on.

Leica fans are going through a digital honeymoon with the introduction of all these new digital Leica's. (Although with all the troubles it's like a honeymoon without the sex)

Once the honeymoon is over we'll start to see more realistic assesments of the M8's capabilities. Film will still look pretty damned good for stuf under 400 asa.

I've been scanning old c41 negatives and printing from my D200 and both are great, but there is a hell of a lot more enlargeability from the scans than from the Nikon. Film lives.

Best wishes

Dan

Andy,

If you go the used route, you should be able to get a good deal on an M7 or MP. Have you tried selling your DX2 on E-bay???? To save some money, if you can find a Konica Hexanon M mount 50mm, f/2 lens you won't be sorry. I have one and I actually prefer it to the 50mm Summicron I previously owned and sold.

Good Luck,

Wilfredo+

Benitez-Rivera Photography

Yeah.... I'm pretty nutty too.

I really like the convenience of digital and I own both a Leica D-LUX 2 and kit by a company beginning with N.

Then a couple of weeks ago I just hankered for something more fundamental so I purchased a s/h M4-2 off of e-Bay and am still awaiting delivery of a collapsible 50mm Elmar-M from another e-Bayer in Germany. I'm more excited about the prospect of loading up some film and seeing if I can still produce a decent shot without automation. Maybe that's the buzz?

LouisB