Inspirational Photographers- B&W

kenneth

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I would separate out photographers who have influenced me from the inspirational ones, and the most truly inspirational was one of the people who taught me and who I learned directly from, Thomas Joshua Cooper

Thomas Joshua Cooper - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thomas Joshua Cooper on artnet

Steve

I have to agree with you, he was my teacher too. :)

• Like 1

I always wanted a copy of James Ravilious' book "An English eye". I recently bought one albeit a reprint. Very inspirational and shot on old Leicas and uncoated optics. http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/26/49c956ee8c8b5b750d6d4a03869d1c8c.jpg

A truly inspirational English photographer - I bought a 2nd edition a year or two ago and followed that up with a used copy of 'The Heart of the Country' by James & Robin Ravilious (published 1980).

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure if it is well known in the forum but I was saddened to recently read that Andy (MPerson), active in this thread and the forum for many years, died earlier this year. I for one enjoyed his many contributions here and his work from "Metroland" and, latterly, Dungeness.

• Like 7

I recently came across the work of Swedish photographer Sune Jonsson via this monograph. Very inspirational stuff that has a similar vibe to James Ravilious in how he documented the life of a rural community over many years. As with Ravilious, lots of photos taken in domestic settings and showing local customs and family life. Highly recommended.

• Like 3

Not sure if it is well known in the forum but I was saddened to recently read that Andy (MPerson), active in this thread and the forum for many years, died earlier this year. I for one enjoyed his many contributions here and his work from "Metroland" and, latterly, Dungeness.

I am very sorry to hear that news.

An extremely good photographer and thoroughly decent bloke.

• Like 5

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

How many of the people in this list shooting B&W would have shot in colour if the choice had been there for them?

Interesting question – but before the speculations start, there are very few reliable answers.

Cartier Bresson did a little colour photography, apparently due to pressure from magazines. The pictures were not very successful (when compared with his iconic B&W work). Yousef Karsh made some interesting colour portraits, but he continued to work in B&W until the end of his professional days.

But I think there is another point to be made. B&W and colour photography are not slightly different versions of the same art. In my view B&W photography is a unique art that is not artistically a precursor of colour photography. It stands on its own. I have on my wall a reproduction of a charcoal sketch of a young boy by Michelangelo. It is what it is, and wondering whether it would be improved if it has a range of colours is to miss the message. In this vein I am always disappointed with posts here that show the same scene in colour and B&W, with a question linked to “which is best”. To my way of thinking, the artistic decision should have been made before the photographer picked up the camera. I really don’t think the decision should be put to the viewer. We would not ask a painter “which is better – watercolour or acrylic?”. How can there be a sensible answer? And we certainly look askance if an artist did a SurveyMoney poll to get an average public opinion.

As the current phrase goes – just saying.

Edited by Michael Hiles
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Some of these have been mentioned:

Eugene Atget

Ansel Adams

Brett Weston

Edward Weston

Minor White

Paul Strand

HCB

Edward Steichen

Alfred  Steiglitz

Walker Evans

Vivian Mayer (Meyer)

Bruce Barnbaum

Edited by Sailronin

• 4 months later...

There are some photographers south of the equator too.  Here are some Australians, all B&W exponents, and well known...

Olive Cotton

Harold Cazneaux

Max Dupain

William Hall

Frank Hurley

Hurley accompanied Shackleton on his expedition to the South Pole, ending in one of the toughest, and most heroic sea voyages and rescues ever made. Well worth a read.

cheers  Dave S

• 1 month later...

I hadn't heard of Dickey Chapelle before today - a woman who became a war photographer active from the Pacific campaign in WW2, through Korea, Algeria, Cuba and finally had her luck run out in Vietnam in 1965. A documentary about her is on YouTube:

Chris

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I always wanted a copy of James Ravilious' book "An English eye". I recently bought one albeit a reprint. Very inspirational and shot on old Leicas and uncoated optics.

Please forgive me if I've missed it somewhere, but I find it astonishing that Ravilious's great hero and inspiration, Edwin Smith, doesn't seem to have been mentioned in this thread. He was a true poet of British architecture and the countryside, and of further afield too, and was also hugely admired by Betjeman. There was a major (and very fine) exhibition of his work last year at the Royal Institute of British Architects - RIBA. He made some of the most beautiful and lyrical photos ever taken of English churches and countryside.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I have been enjoying reading Hollywood Portraits: Classic Shots and How to Take Them by Roger Hicks and Christopher Nisperos. It's more relevant to large format work, but there's nothing to stop users of tiny formats from copying some of the lighting. They discuss the techniques used by studio still photographers from the 1920's onwards and then analyse a series of well-known portraits and guess the lighting arrangements used. This isn't typical Leica photography by any means, but it's fascinating all the same.

Chris

• Like 1

I have been enjoying reading Hollywood Portraits: Classic Shots and How to Take Them by Roger Hicks and Christopher Nisperos. It's more relevant to large format work, but there's nothing to stop users of tiny formats from copying some of the lighting. They discuss the techniques used by studio still photographers from the 1920's onwards and then analyse a series of well-known portraits and guess the lighting arrangements used. This isn't typical Leica photography by any means, but it's fascinating all the same.

Chris

Thanks, Chris. I'll have a look for it.

I enjoyed Gregory Heisler's "50 Portraits", giving a background to some of his shots.

I cannot point to a single famous photographer as an inspiration.

My accidental mentor was my first inspiration when I met him, saw his work in France; I have followed his work for fifty years, his work has achieved the status of a friend which automatically disqualifies my view as objective. That's what is it like to be in touch in real life. Is that a bad thing? I wonder.

He is Donald Eugene Camp and it is a darned sham he has hidden twenty years of his photojournalism. You have probably never heard of him, and there a hundreds of very good photographers who are largely invisible by their choice.

Peace,

Pico

Edited by pico
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Finally, Terence Donovan Portraits arrived today. Newly published, it's been on pre-order for a long long time. Worth getting, as Donovan was clearly the best technician of the 'Black Trinity' although I don't share his taste for showing every pore - makes people look grubby and unwashed. A few LF portraits, but mostly 6x7, 6x8 and some 35mm. Most are studio portraits and are gently lit, but he had a flare for cropping a portrait imaginatively, and very close too.

C.

• Like 1