M9: An Investment for a Lifetime

efftee

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The current dynamic range of the senors is pretty much limited by physics - you can't work around that. What you can do is to use pixel binning but then you are effectively reducing the no. pixels in postprocessing. Higher DR => less pixels, one way or the other.

When I think that a fly has N number of minute eyes in each eye I think that there is some room for improvement still.

My belief is that while the M9 will undoubtedly be a fine step forward, we will in a couple of years be tempted by an M with, for example:

- Much improved viewfinder system, perhaps with digital framelines.

- Improved metering (pretty sorry now, in my view)

- Smaller body, maybe like the M7, due to continued improvements in miniaturization of components

- New ways to focus long lenses on the M

- Improved LCD

As they say, the best is the enemy of the good. And the best will always keep improving.

When I think that a fly has N number of minute eyes in each eye I think that there is some room for improvement still.

I get the impression that our sensors overtook insect eyes some time back. Flies' eyes only have a few thousand pixels, and the most any arthropod has seems to be a few tens of thousands.

When I bought my M8s I was really enthused with the idea of getting back to a rfdr camera from the more bulky and auto-thinking reflexes. I was especially excited with using my great Leitz lenses and some of the irreplacable Leica accessories (e.g. Reprovit IIa) in a digital mode. In their fashion the M8s fullfilled these requirements. Ignorantly, probably more accurately: stupidly, I assumed that Leitz had waited to fully develop the super camera (in terms of both technical performance and durability) prior to marketing. In the latter case, this was not so and many of us were, to say the least, disappointed in the frequent and slow repairs. What I am saying is that many of us will be more reserved in plunking down big bucks for a requirement that has already been minimally (or better) met. Do not mistake me, I am not a career Leica basher - I love my Leicas. Said more simply, at least for the German audience: I have named my M8s Der Blaue Engel and Der Blaue Engel II. Being an old guy, this may be particularly appropriate naming. regards, ron t. :)

Edited by Ronazle
spacing of word/change word