So long, and thanks for all the fish

Jeanette

Advertisement (gone after registration)

After a long time of just lurking I decided to start posting messages a few weeks ago. It seems this was a bad idea. Obviously, the people running this forum have views of things like irony (see here) and freedom of speech that are very different from mine. Or maybe what you're allowed to say or not depends on external factors I'm not aware of. Anyway, I'll retract back to my snail shell.

Take care,

Jeanette.

PS: FWIW, the pretty innocent word that was moderated in the thread linked to above can - according to the search function - be found in at least 32 other threads on this forum and there it didn't seem to offend anyone. Ironically, in one case it was used by the very moderator who censored my posting. In my case it was an "inappropriate attempt at humour," in his case I guess it was just funny...

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Please don't march out. Erl redacted the m-word from your first post, but has not touched its several other appearances in the thread, so it's not as if the mods are trying to protect us from sight of the word "moron". And we've had ample evidence lately that people often fail to detect irony in forum posts even when reader and writer are native English speakers - and also of course that mods are human.

Edited by giordano
Deflouncing

seeing as how this is clearly a "bash the Mods" week, perhaps I can help here?

Moderators do not and cannot read every thread. We are volunteers who do this freely and for no reward. I am responding to this via an iPhone while waiting for a client's office to open

A word may appear in a thread and be deleted in another. That's life. It's nothing personal and not a "freedom of speach" thing. It's just life.

Perhaps we should have a list of unacceptable words. Unfortunately, this would need to be in several languages, and while someone might think that a word is inoffensive, others might not. You can't please all the people, all of the time

This really is getting daft. The last thing I want is for it to become like RFF - a personal fiefdom that is ruled by opinionated, capricious mods and a midwestern bible-belt ethic that sees automatic software star out the word "spade" to "avoid offence".

Perhaps if everyone could just take a moment to step back, relax and take stock we could get this back on an even keel. I know there is a huge atmosphere of anticipation at the moment, traffic is high and people are a bit more worked up than usual but this is counter-productive.

Jeanette, please stay. You have no reason to go.

Regards,

Bill

At the end of the day, it's only the internet! Get over it.

The Mods here are very light touch, MN issue excepted and which is an exception. I've had a thread of mine closed for 'wasting disk space' - did I throw a hissy fit? did I declare my future non-participation? There's far too much more important stuff for me to concern myself with.

Anyone with an interest in photography and Leica who chooses to avoid this website is really doing themselves an injustice.

Jeanette--

erl's reaction to your post struck me as out of line as well. I said so in that thread, and he responded courteously.

I'd say we would be the worse for it if you left. You've seen enough of the snifflers to realize we need a few intelligent people around here, and preferably with a sense of humor.

I've been posting a few years, and this is the first time I've seen this strong a reaction over what I see as at worst a minor breach.

OK, someone thought you were off base. My guess is that most of us didn't. And I know you won't help the situation by disappearing.

Don't start a campaign; but do stick around.

Jeanette, allow me to offer an explanation, from my perspective. Others are free to note.

My memory (don't really have time to backtrack, I have domestic issues that are more pressing) AFAIK tells me that you referred to "the Solms people" as morons. Normally I don't have a great issue with that expression, providing the subject is 'present' so to speak and given an opportunity to revoke the imputation. They can do that on their own and don't need a 'defender'.

In the case of "Solms', they reasonably will not respond, even if they do read it, which is doubtful. My role on this forum includes overseeing fair play, fair comment, fair anything else. Call me a moron if you wish. I can readily defend my position if I feel a need to. You have your opinion, I have mine and both are free to express it and defend it. I judged the later to be absent from the equation and acted, in my judgment, accordingly.

Jeanette, as expressed by others in this thread, and I am sure by many others, who have no expressed opinion (a mods delight ;) ), you are particularly welcome and are needed here to lift the female presence and influence.

If you wish a greater or in depth explanation from me, please PM me. I promise I don't bite, unless you are particularly tasty. ;):D

P.S. My late response here is due only to the fact that I am trying to have a life, so I have only just noticed this thread. Otherwise I would have jumped in earlier to assure you.

Edited by erl
Correction

Jeanette, allow me to offer an explanation, from my perspective....

....you are particularly welcome and are needed here to lift the female presence and influence.....

Agree, the forum can lose some male, but female are definitely too few to let them go: think twice, Jeannette; btw, even if I claim myself as a good english reader/speaker, I confess that couldn't translate exactly the term "moron"... :)... is it really so offensive ? I remember only that years ago it was used by a worldwide famous Italian scientist on a 2nd April e-mail to the scientific community (referring to "morons" as arcane subatomic particles), following a previous (1st April) mail which announced the solution of one of the math problems of the Millenium... :p

Snipped

I confess that couldn't translate exactly the term "moron"... :)... is it really so offensive ?

Let's just say it is definitely not complimentary! :D

But we shall put all that behind us, I suggest.

Erl, I think that this is a very fair and mature response. Thank you.

Jeanette, allow me to offer an explanation, from my perspective.

.....snip

In the case of "Solms', they reasonably will not respond, even if they do read it, which is doubtful. My role on this forum includes overseeing fair play, fair comment, fair anything else. Call me a moron if you wish. I can readily defend my position if I feel a need to. You have your opinion, I have mine and both are free to express it and defend it. I judged the later to be absent from the equation and acted, in my judgment, accordingly.

..snip

If you wish a greater or in depth explanation from me, please PM me. I promise I don't bite, unless you are particularly tasty. ;):D

..snip