So long, and thanks for all the fish

Jeanette

Advertisement (gone after registration)

;)Hi, heres my 2pennies worth"

male or female What does it matter? The shutter accepts All fingers without complaint. Some people will be offended/upset @ various phrasing! education & where you live imposes it's own guidelines.

Having a SOH is to my mind a MUST for any photographer. At times the forum tends to be Negative! but so what, being critisized by others is OK, everyone sees the Tree of Life differently..accept their view with head held high & the knowledge that it's YOUR Life & your Photographic decision.

Frustration lives on all of our shoulders at times! allow others the priviledge of making wrong decisions, that in any event a few weeks down the line will be forgotten anyway.

Speculation is great, but do not be dissapointed if the Announcement does not measure up!!!

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

... btw, even if I claim myself as a good english reader/speaker, I confess that couldn't translate exactly the term "moron"... :)... is it really so offensive ? ...

Luigi--

There are a number of possible uses for "moron."

But remember the saying that "God tempers the wind to the shorn lamb," which I would say here could be rendered as: "The morons aren't aware that they're morons." Corollary, I guess, is, "Please, don't tell them." :p

I don't know a web service for English <> Italian, so I used LEO Deutsch-Englisches Wörterbuch, first going from English 'moron' to German, where I chose the form Schwachsinnig, which like 'moron' has both clinical and pejorative colloquial usages. I then pursued Schwachsinnig into Italian, where the proffered choices were:

deficiente adj.

demente adj. [coll.] [pej.]

demente adj. [med.]

ebete adj.

idiota adj. [med.]

imbecille adj. [med.]

mentecatto, mentecatta adj.

scemo, scema adj. [pej.]

Personally, I don't find 'moron' particularly offensive, but as erl says, English has different users. I'm told that some things that sound innocuous to me are taken as highly offensive by Brits.

Luigi--

There are a number of possible uses for "moron."

But remember the saying that "God tempers the wind to the shorn lamb," which I would say here could be rendered as: "The morons aren't aware that they're morons." Corollary, I guess, is, "Please, don't tell them." :p

I don't know a web service for English <> Italian, so I used LEO Deutsch-Englisches Wörterbuch, first going from English 'moron' to German, where I chose the form Schwachsinnig, which like 'moron' has both clinical and pejorative colloquial usages. I then pursued Schwachsinnig into Italian, where the proffered choices were:

deficiente adj.

demente adj. [coll.] [pej.]

demente adj. [med.]

ebete adj.

idiota adj. [med.]

imbecille adj. [med.]

mentecatto, mentecatta adj.

scemo, scema adj. [pej.]

Personally, I don't find 'moron' particularly offensive, but as erl says, English has different users. I'm told that some things that sound innocuous to me are taken as highly offensive by Brits.

Thanks Howard : all the italian terms above are strictly referred to intellectual - brain limitations or handicaps (even in medical terms) ; I thought it was even worse...

OED says the term "moron" was adopted by the American Association for the Study of the Feeble-minded to mean a person with IQ between 50 and 70.

But that was back in 1910, when these things seemed much simpler than they do now. I wonder if the Association still exists - presumably under another name.:rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

As a new, female poster who's using a Canon right now, and is interested in Leica - where do I go to find out the best way to proceed?

I just don't get perfect pictures with the Canon. Good, but not perfect. I was thinking about an ALPA, but then remembered Leica.

As a new, female poster who's using a Canon right now, and is interested in Leica - where do I go to find out the best way to proceed?

I just don't get perfect pictures with the Canon. Good, but not perfect. I was thinking about an ALPA, but then remembered Leica.

Nasus, welcome. I'll give you a slightly longer and hopefully more helpful response than the previous fob-off. :rolleyes:

The first thing is to understand what you mean by "the best way to proceed" - Leica is a very broad "church" - so to help we need to understand what interests you and what motivates you. What do you like to shoot, and why. What frustrates you or demotivates you about the results you are currently getting from your Canon. Changing cameras won't necessarily result in better pictures per se, but it can revitalise your photography if you have found yourself stuck in a rut.

Also, what is your ideal "end state" - is it all about the image, for you, or are you also interested in the "journey" - the means by which you achieve the end result? If the latter, then the type of equipment you use may matter more to you - the choices between film and digital, between M, R, S, LTM, old, new - the (Leica) world is your oyster.

Tell us more and we can tell you more. Finally, I would encourage you to start a new thread on the subject, in the Customer Forum - it is more likely to get a sensible response there than tacked on to the end of this old and somewhat bitter thread.

Regards,

Bill

Edited by bill

You can call people morons all you like. Sometimes it's justified. However it is not irony. It is a term of abuse.

This should not be a place where men or women abuse other people. The last thing we should want to do is deliberately hurt someone. So, cut the abuse and, if it is to be characterised as irony, then cut that too.

Onya Erl.

"Really? I thought that was one of the main themes of this forum. Lots of its members spend a lot of their time explaining that Leica "just doesn't understand" marketing, electronics, designing cameras, the economy, and so on. I'd be very surprised if those MORONS at Solms could do webpages of all things... "

As clearly intended, I read this as sarcasm poking fun at the forum members not directed at the people at Solms at all. E.g. the members of this forum "always know better" than the people at Solms and says so.

?????? I guess I'm missing something here. Can someone explain what " thanks for all the fish" means? I live in the back of beyond. Southern New Mexico USA (NOT Mexico). I have had people in Europe think that I lived In Baja California. Wrong. I have had more people from all over, including the eastern and southern US thinking I lived in Mexico. When I was working and being paid by the US government, I would call various federal offices in Washington DC. I was invariably asked if I ever got "American" food and other things American. Like visiting. Duh, m...n, i...t, b.......d. OK so much for the NY Times crossword puzzle, my apologies to the "Times".

Change of subject. Just got back my first roll of Fuji chromes from Kansas. Shot the roll with my R7 just back from Wisconsin.(you can guess who). Fantastic metering. I set it on Aperture priority and shot wide open and closed all the way down. I was using my R 35-70 f 4. Just grab shots, nothing fancy, nothing for the galleries so many of you seem to have available. A funny thing happened the other evening. An electrical storm struck near my apartment and made frittes potatoes of my telephone modem. Thankfully that was all. It was under the phone company's warranty so they UPS me another overnight. New with another one year warranty. Everything is on surge lines, plus I tie a very loose loop in the wire. Had a computer engineer from the university tell me that in addition to the surge strip, take each individual cord and make a very loose loop. Reason, that form of electricity can only travel in a straight line.

Now about those fish????

Google.

Marvellous thing.

Just type in the word or combination of words you want to know about and hey presto! :rolleyes:

So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Those of us of a certain age grew up on Douglas Adams in the UK and know, to this day, where our towels are... ;)

Regards,

Bill