leica 18mm 3.8 UV/IR cut filter

adli

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've checked with my local dealer if they can supply me with an UV/IR filter for the 18mm and a filter holder (for other types of filter)

According to the Leica website the product number for the UV/IR filter for the 18mm should be 13422. According to Popflash' website this is the only filter that will fit the 18mm. Also according to Leica the filter holder should be E77 (14484)

My dealer is presenting for me an ordinary E67 UV/IR filter (13415) instead of the one described at Leicas website. And instead of the recomended E77 filter (14484) holder he is trying to sell me the E82 filter holder (14481)

Will these products fit the 18mm?

Information from Leica web site

"UV/ IR Filter: For LEICA M8 models there is a special UV/ IR filter (item no. 13 422), which is mounted between the lens and the lens hood"

You only need this special UV/IR filter for the M8

For compatibility with other filters there is the accessory holder for E77 filters, which is mounted where you would normally secure the lens hood (item no. 14 484).

In my M8, I have mounted r Elmar 18/3.8 I have mounted the UV/IR filter 13.422

My dealer is presenting for me an ordinary E67 UV/IR filter (13415) instead of the one described at Leicas website. And instead of the recomended E77 filter (14484) holder he is trying to sell me the E82 filter holder (14481) Will these products fit the 18mm?

I don't think they will fit--the front of the 18mm where the filter screws over the front uses a new, special screw thread/stop arrangement.

The "male" threads are around the outside of the lens (not on the inside).

The 13422 screws over the threads onto the front of the 18mm until it hits a notched stop. Then, the hood is screwed over the threads onto the 13422's threads until and *it* hits the notched stop.

Pretty certain you have to have the 13422 or the 14484.

Thanks,

Will

Your dealer is definitely wrong. If you are using the 18mm on the M8 and I assume you are if you are asking about the uv/ir filter, then get the 13422.

The other filter holder (14484?) is meant for using 'normal' filters such as an IR ir ND on full-frame.

• 14 years later...
12 minutes ago, antonio-p said:

By any chance does anyone know whether the 13422 filter is also suitable for any Leica lens that mounts 58 mm filters or not?
Thank you

No, it has external not internal threads it is highly specific for that lens on an M8. No other lens has those external threads.

Pictures here will clarify: Leica 18mm f/3.8 ASPH (kenrockwell.com)

Yes I know its Ken 😮

All the front accessories (lens hood, 77mm filter adapter, IR/UV 14322 filter) screw on the front externally- a male thread above that red stripe.

11 minutes ago, chris_livsey said:

No, ha filettature esterne e non interne, è altamente specifico per quell'obiettivo su un M8. Nessun altro obiettivo ha quelle filettature esterne.

Le immagini qui chiariranno:  Leica 18mm f/3.8 ASPH (kenrockwell.com)

Sì, lo so, è Ken  😮

Tutti gli accessori anteriori (paraluce, adattatore per filtro da 77 mm, filtro IR/UV 14322) si avvitano sulla parte anteriore esternamente: una filettatura maschio sopra la striscia rossa.

Ok, thanks very much for the clarification