D-Lux4 + Raw + CS4 =

Advertisement (gone after registration)

One of the very first pictures I took with my DL4 was of my friend Chris who is the one of the engineers that runs a remote television production truck which I frequently work out of. The picture was taken inside the truck, with existing lighting, and no flash.

Here is the out of camera jpeg.

attachment.php?attachmentid=153735&stc=1&d=1248512445

Here is step one, the conversion I made from the RAW file, in CS4. Lots of dodging to selectively compress different areas of the picture, some color balance and some enhancement, then a run through Noise Ninja, and a tiny adjustment to the hue of the flesh tones, removing some of the magenta which showed up when I removed some green from the whites while fixing the white balance. (;))

attachment.php?attachmentid=153736&stc=1&d=1248512363

Here is the final picture, where I separated the back wall and the near left power panel into different layers from Chris, and defocused the walls. (The back wall more than the power panel, both using the lens blur in CS4).

attachment.php?attachmentid=153737&stc=1&d=1248512445

Chris is much sharper in the full size image, though he looks a little soft to me in this 960 pixel reduction. I should probably fix the perspective errors too, but I didn't notice them until now...

Hope you like what I've done, and I'm looking forward to your comments, good or bad. One of the few things I dislike about the DL4 is the near impossibility of getting a narrow depth of field, due to the tiny sensor, even at f 2.0.

How strange. I can see the pictures and they have forum URLs. Can everyone else not see them? I tried to insert the pictures in the body of the message, instead of all together at the end, and maybe I did it incorrectly. (What is the correct way; the FAQ doesn't seem to describe a method I can follow when uploading the pictures to the forum rather than using a URL pointing to storage elsewhere).

Billy

ps I can't seem to edit my message anymore, to try and fix the problem. So here are the three pictures again, all together. The first is the out of camera jpeg, the second is with the RAW conversions, and the last has the focus adjustments.

If you want to insert images into your posts, use the paper-clip icon at the head of the input field.

Like so.

[ATTACH]153803[/ATTACH]

Please use the Photo section to share your work. Photos are only to be included in posts outside the Photo section for technical purposes.

Thanks Andy, I see the paperclip icon now and I'll use it the next time I upload some pictures.

Can you move my message to the appropriate forum or should I repost it or just get it right the next time? I sorta figured that the post processing forum was the appropriate place for it, since it's all about post processing.

Billy