Large lenses for M8

DWatts

Which lens would that be? I don't know of any lens with M mount longer than a 135mm. There are the Visoflex lenses, of course, and I used to own a copy of the later 280mm, a nice lens with sharp results. The whole Visoflex/tele experience is a little Frankenstein though, and I ended up not using it so often.

Which lens would that be? I don't know of any lens with M mount longer than a 135mm.
I do. The Tele-Elmarit 180/2.8 from 1965. If you owned one, however, you could sell it and finally get that Bentley you crave....( well, a bit of a hyperbole. But there were about 250 sold in the USA and there are afaik no known examples.) Edited by jaapv

I do. The Tele-Elmarit 180/2.8 from 1965. If you owned one, however, you could sell it and finally get that Bentley you crave....( well, a bit of a hyperbole. But there were about 250 sold in the USA and there are afaik no known examples.)

Ehi, Jaap, that sounds interesting, can you post a pic of this Holy Grail, please?

Nope, I have only an image of the Viso version, rare enough in itself - those were the 250, as I erronously posted above. I believe there were only a few prototypes built.

Edited by jaapv

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Has anyone any experience of using lenses larger than 135 on the M8.

I am thinking of trying out something in the region of 200mm +.

David Watts,

Cornwall

David,

as far as I understand, the focusing precision with a Leica M rangefinder is superior to an SLR in the range of 0 - 90 mm (in full frame format). It is basically a question of trigonometry and related to the base of (how wide) the rangefinder. At 135mm they are about equal, but after that the SLR technology is increasinly superior to the rangefinder. A 200mm -plus lens would be impossible to focus precisely enough with the Leica M rangefinder. Hence the Visoflex contraption.

For the M8 with the 1.3 crop factor, the balance between the M rangefinder and the SLR is lower down on the scale, probably around 90mm. I believe that is why you have no 135mm frame lines in the M8. While some people use the M8 with the 135mm lenses and produce excellent results I believe it is hard to get an exact focus.

The Leica M system is eminently suited to super fast normal- and wide-angle lens photography where precise focusing is required. But for long telephoto lenses it is virtually useless, unless you emulate an SLR like the Visoflex does. I believe you will have a very hard time finding rangefinder coupled lenses of focal lenghts above 135mm.

If I need a focal length longer than 90mm, I use an SLR... ;)

Do you now? ;)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

David,

as far as I understand, the focusing precision with a Leica M rangefinder is superior to an SLR in the range of 0 - 90 mm (in full frame format). It is basically a question of trigonometry and related to the base of (how wide) the rangefinder. At 135mm they are about equal, but after that the SLR technology is increasinly superior to the rangefinder. A 200mm -plus lens would be impossible to focus precisely enough with the Leica M rangefinder. Hence the Visoflex contraption.

For the M8 with the 1.3 crop factor, the balance between the M rangefinder and the SLR is lower down on the scale, probably around 90mm. I believe that is why you have no 135mm frame lines in the M8. While some people use the M8 with the 135mm lenses and produce excellent results I believe it is hard to get an exact focus.

The Leica M system is eminently suited to super fast normal- and wide-angle lens photography where precise focusing is required. But for long telephoto lenses it is virtually useless, unless you emulate an SLR like the Visoflex does. I believe you will have a very hard time finding rangefinder coupled lenses of focal lenghts above 135mm.

I use a 135 2.8 with goggles and have no problems focussing (I wear glasses}, the only issue is that I can't get Exif to report the correct focal length.

Nope, I have only an image of the Viso version, rare enough in itself - those were the 250, as I erronously posted above. I believe there were only a few prototypes built.

Jaap, I think you did refer to THIS... :)

Rare, indeed, but the 200s perform better... (btw, this ill-fated lens was Schneider - built , Leitz branded)

Wow! I think you can't carry this set in many places.:eek:

Some securities guard might consider this as some kinds of weapon, not camera.:D

Better to carry a less threatening luggage... :p

Do you now? ;)

Jaapv--LOL. Love the shoulder-mounted rigs. But I'd be afraid to use it in public. Talk about sending the Local Law Enforcement people right over the edge: "Suspect is armed with rocket launcher. I say again a rocket launcher. Notify SWAT." However, I DO want one of those as a mod for Halflife, Quake, or Unreal Tournament. :D

Hello, this is my first post after reading for a while.

I want to express my thankfulness to the many extremely helpful people and their postings in this (sub)forum, esp. in helping me to deal with some of the issues that I had with focussing my M8 that in I think is a great little camera.

In this thread, I would like to mention that the M8 albeit a rangefinder, added greatly to my fun using it via its capability to also use long lenses (with the Visoflex). Since the purchase of the M8, my interest in long lens photography has vastly extended (I don't say that more modern DSLR cameras can't do better, more conveniently and efficiently; sure, they can). In the beginning, it was really just for fun, in the meantime ist has become a passion (I for sure don't have to earn a living with it).

I know that using the M8 (or any M) with a mirror box such as the Visoflexes is mostly regarded as at best exotic, however from time to time the notion of the relaxing simplicity of this set-up has come up in this forum.

Since the question of the OP has already been answered in principle, I would like to add a few hints from somebody who actually does use longer than 135mm objectives with the M8 on a regular basis.

As others have stated elsewhere, I also admire to use the sliding-focus Telyt400/6.8 with the M8 (and Visoflex2 and original shoulder stock): easy to carry and extremely stable in hand-hold photographing (after some practise).

Also the other relatively light-weight manual rapid-focus virus from Leitz that is mentioned in this forum occasionally has infected me: The Focorapid with focal lengths from 135 to 280 mm.

Thanks for sharing and your encouragment!

Best wishes,

Telyt2003

Do you now? ;)

Hello jaapv,

the image of the Novoflex system that you have posted here made me curious.

I am not an expert on Novoflex Pigrifs, thus my ignorance:

Is that a Pigrif-C (or D?) with built-in extending tube at its camera-sided end?

Is it adapted to the Visoflex on a regular basis (as to say, can this set-up be focused to infinity)?

With many thanks for your help,

Telyt2003

Yes - Pigriff - C, modified for Visoflex with VISA ring. It was the very last one modified by Novoflex themselves. The technician who was able to do it was brought out of retirement for me. Not that it is that difficult to do; a 25 mm ring must be taken out and threaded. I suspect John Milich could do it. The VISA adapter is still available from Novoflex afaik.

Edited by jaapv

Yes - Pigriff - C, modified for Visoflex with VISA ring. It was the very last one modified by Novoflex themselves. The technician who was able to do it was brought out of retirement for me. Not that it is that difficult to do; a 25 mm ring must be taken out and threaded. I suspect John Milich could do it. The VISA adapter is still available from Novoflex afaik.

Hello jaapv,

thank you very much,

that is exactly what I wanted to know.

So, it's custom-made, but not too difficult, AND it retains the extending tube functional!