One lens photography -

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It depens on what kind of photography you are practicing. For street photography, I use almost always my 50mm cron. I'm know its frame and I've learnt how to focus it quick. It gives me better control over the subject and the whole frame. I think that if you are looking for special and precise moments, you have to concentrate yourself in one lens. I find the 35mm a good option for the M8 too.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If I had to travel around the world with just one lens on my M8, it would be a fast 35mm -- preferably the Summilux ASPH. With a film M, I would have hesitated between 50 and 35mm. Consider the numbers (the old definition of a 'standard lens' is = format diagonal):

24x36mm diagonal: 42mm

18x27mm diagonal: 32mm

Equivalent fields of view on M8 format (f x 1.33):

50mm (in fact, 52mm) = 69mm

35mm = 47mm

28mm = 37mm

The old man from the Age of the 3.5cm Elmar

I thought several times about going to one lens only (35mm on M8). Of course, any shot can be taken with a single lens and it does bolster creativity, yet there are shots that instead of looking good with your standard lens, could look great with another option.

Therefore I almost always take 24-35-75 even if the 35 can take up to 95% of shots during one day. Never more than 3 lenses anymore though as with the standard 35mm on, there are basically too scenarios that might require a change o lens : not wide enough or not long enough. More than that, it becomes too much a "what lens" instead of "what framing, composition, etc ..."

So really, focus on one lens, yes, but don't undercut your options just for the sake of "one lens only", that is the conclusion I got too.

If you're going to be a "one lens person" then the best lens to mount mathematically is:

16+18+21+24+28+35+50+75+90+135= 492mm

492/10=49.2mm

So therefore, a 50mm is the best option as the mean focal length for the M8.

you mean the 35 (35*1.3=45.5), being the closest to the traditional 50mm on the M8

I don't see what this has to do with the M8 specifically, this has been going for decades, the use of one lens or more than one lens.

Some of the best shooters out there favor one or two lenses, but still bring more than one lens or body as to facilitate different thinking, shooting scenarios and equipment backup.

My standard kit is simple but works really well, either the 28/2 or 35/1.4 on the M6 and either the 50/1.4 or 90 Tele-Elmarit on the M3. Most of the time, the 35 and the 50 are in service, the 28 on occasion and the 90 not very often.

One case in particular for the 90 was last Thursday while heading to the airport in heavy traffic from Harlem. We were just sitting there, moving really slowly, but the life teeming around me and the light was great for photos. So I shot with the M3 / 90 the whole time, it was a blast.

I think it is great to be able to use one lens for most of your shots, I often work this way, but I rarely force my self to do it since that is counterproductive to making photographs.

But there are cases when I am forced to bring just one lens like mountaineering assignments in which the 28/2 really carries it's weight and saves me some at the same time.

Edited by KM-25

It depens on what kind of photography you are practicing. For street photography, I use almost always my 50mm cron. I'm know its frame and I've learnt how to focus it quick. It gives me better control over the subject and the whole frame. I think that if you are looking for special and precise moments, you have to concentrate yourself in one lens. I find the 35mm a good option for the M8 too.

Did you ever get another 35 cron that you were so adept at using?

Jeff

Advertisement (gone after registration)

WOW - so many replies.

It was just a statement really, but am happy it has created happy banter between us.

To those who answered positively, many thanks and happy shooting.

To the others... what can I say?

I sold the MP to take more photos, the M8 is letting me do that and I love using the 35mm f2. I practically shoot with it every day.

Best wishes,

ShivaYash

Did you ever get another 35 cron that you were so adept at using?

Jeff

Not yet. But the 35 cron is still in my thoughts all the time. I had the oportunity of buying a second hand one, but it was not coded. So still thinking :confused:. Now I'm working with the 50mm cron so good. It's almost a "point and shoot" lens for me. When I need wider the 28mm elmarit is still fine for me. If I could I would buy many lenses.

I hope everything is going fine adapting you to "digital". Are you not amazed looking at your M8 files?

Regards

Miguel

Guest sedgeorg

I am wondering why using the M8 should result in using only one lens if before you used several ones. Using different focal lenghts than on an analog M is another story of course.

It has a certain appeal and might be good training to limit oneself to one lens in some locations, but isn't it a big plus of the M system to be able to carry, say, one lens mounted and two other lenses rather effortlessly?

Edited by sedgeorg

No, what I meant was the 50mm or in full-frame terms: 50*1.33=66.5mm. I guess it is all relative.

Please note that since 1925, all Leica '50mm lenses' whatever their formal designation have actually had a design focal length of 52mm. So a 50mm on the Leica M8 is very close to a 70mm lens.

The old man from the Age of the 5cm Elmar

I have a 35 cron ASPH on my M8 almost all the time. It is a stunning lens. I have used it extensively as a 1-lens kit, and learnt a lot about the camera from doing this. However, I always take a wide angle lens to complement the fast normal.

In addition to the 35 cron I also have a CV15 and 2.5/75. The 4.5/15 is tiny and fits in a pocket even if I don't want to carry a tiny Billingham bag. So there is simply no reason not to always carry the 15 in combination with the 35. I suppose I have a minimum of a 2-lens setup.

The 75mm mostly only gets used for portraits or detail shots, but it completes my 3-lens kit for travel. I have no problem what so ever carrying this kit and do not want to restrict myself to just a single lens.

I have a 28 cron, 35 lux, 50 lux and 75 Summarit. I just acquired the 35 but it has not been off of my M8 in a week. Yea, it has some focus shift (and I tried two copies) but man it is gorgeous. I rarely use my 50, and much prefer the 35's rendering. I MAY sell my 50 and 28 and pick up a 24 Lux and a cheaper 50 for the times when I want to use one.

For me the 35 and M8 are a match made in heaven, but there are times when I need wider so I believe a 24 would fit the bill.

Steve

Hi Steve,

Are you referring to the 35 LUX ASPH or the earlier pre-ASPH?

Ozkar

Regardless of the lens you choose, I find that there is something nice about working with just a singular set-up (lens and body) whether out for the day or for a week. It allows you to concentrate on the images or to challenge yourself to cover a subject with only one lens. Sure I have others, but I love the 50Lux and take most of my M8 photos with it. It just fits my eye for the type of shooting I do with the Leica.

While I do see the appeal of just using a single lens (and I'll do that when traveling light), I don't necessarily agree with those who say it bolsters creativity. Not for everyone, anyway.

Certainly it might help some people focus more on what's in front of them.

You could just as easily argue that limiting yourself to a single lens may stifle your photography, since you'll be limited to that single field of view.

If you choose a wide lens, for example, you'll miss out detail shots and the ability to isolate your subject.

I just got my 35 mm chron back from Leica Solms after a "mishap," and got it coded at the same time. I'm so happy :) I tend to prefer the relatively traditional perspective of the 35 and 50 mm lenses, so when I take one now it will be the 35; for 2, I just ad the 50. Of course, this is only for personal work. If I'm on a job, well....I need what I need.

I really like the comments and insights on this thread about "one lens photography."

After a lot of shooting and thinking I've decided my style is "telling a story," journalistic style. I like to shoot wide to get the overall flavor, and then zoom in for specific detail. This generally turns out to be (using full-frame figures) 24-28mm and 90-135mm. I find that around 80% of my pictures have been shot with wide-angle, 20% long. So a wide-angle lens is my logical choice, no matter the camera system.

BUT I don't want to miss a picture opportunity, so I can't help but carry a longer lens with me. BUT especially with digital there's now that sensor dust problem when you are switching lenses very often in the field.

My solution--get another camera body and mount the second lens on it. Yes, you're carrying two cameras like bandoliers but you can quickly switch from wide to long. Once your sensors are cleaned and spotless they'll stay that way when you're not switching lenses and it's a big help and time-saver in post processing in your dry digital darkroom.

Here's a photo story I told about attending our Tampa "Tea Party" where I shot digital and film.

Tampa Tea Party - ishutterbug - Photoblog.com

The one lens concept works very well. Most of the famous photographers of years past stuck with one lens. For me, I keep a 35 Cron ASPH on the M8 and a 50 Cron IV on the M3. Very rarely I'll swap the 50 onto the M8. Not because I particularly need it, but because I do have the option.