One lens photography -

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest trix
I must say that i mostly believe that myself. I can't imagine Capa running down a landing craft dodging bullets in Normandy with a huge bag full of lenses hanging from his shoulder.

Or as the Vietnam imagery showed to us, at most it was two bodies and two lenses.

Was it ?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Was it ?

They didn't care if the subject realize that they had cameras. Indeed the were so happy if the enemy saw cameras instead guns. Perhaps Robert Capa wouldn't have died in action if he had so many lenses. He was always so close to the subject. He was incredible and his photography forever remenbered. I think that a photographer with many cameras will be very versatile and will do a great war reportage but no further.I doubt that will have the same strong composition als Robert Capa had.

For street photography you don't want that the subject realize that you are a photographer and you want to shoot him. I normally carry my camera hanging of the neck for all photography. That permet me to be relax, shifting lenses and enjoying different types of photography. Now when I want to shoot extreme street photography, my camera holds in my wrist with just one lens. It took me a while to get and easy and quick system to change neck to wrist. You can hide your camera easily and shoot a second later.

Now if you want to shoot birds, flowers and people at the same time so quick, you need three cameras with three lenses hanging of your neck.

Cheers

normally carry my camera hanging of the neck for all photography. That permet me to be relax, shifting lenses and enjoying different types of photography. Now when I want to shoot extreme street photography, my camera holds in my wrist with just one lens. It took me a while to get and easy and quick system to change neck to wrist. You can hide your camera easily and shoot a second later.

Excatly same for me, but could you explain your easy and quick system to change from neck to wrist ? Personally I wrap the neck strap around my wrist but I find it a bit unconvenient so if there is a faster and better system, would be great to know about it. thanks.

Perhaps Robert Capa wouldn't have died in action if he had so many lenses.

Capa was blown away by a mine in Far East, I don't think many lenses would have saved his life.

However, it seems I was wrong, in Vietnam it was three bodies and three lenses... :D

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Quite a sweeping statement without any evidence - and even if it is true, so what?

I think it actually is true more for Lecia due to the collector audience for Leica equipment. I wonder how many of those $16K noctiluxes sold ever get put on a camera :)

Sorry for the hijack. If the M8 was full-frame, the 35 Lux would be my body cap :) As it is, most of my shots are split between 28 and 35.

Capa was blown away by a mine in Far East, I don't think many lenses would have saved his life.

I knew it. He had to look for the best position to take the shot. With a telelens perhaps he wouldn't had gone into a minefield. We will never know it. Anyway I'm not so brave.:( I stay in Mallorca shooting flowers.

Excatly same for me, but could you explain your easy and quick system to change from neck to wrist ? Personally I wrap the neck strap around my wrist but I find it a bit unconvenient so if there is a faster and better system, would be great to know about it. thanks.

I have my own system but I don't recomend it to anybody. You can damage your camera and strap trying to do it.That's what we call in spain "una chapuza" (in english could be call "botched job"):D. I use the original M8 strap in combination with the M8 grip with a couple of brackets. I'm using it for the last year and It works for me. I don't think that this is going to be useful to somebody. How to do it is like a puzle and completely imposible to explain. Sorry but I don't know how to explain it. I just can show you a picture. And one more thing if you take off the base plate, you have to rebuild it again or do it carefully bringing it back to the same place. To build it last 25 seconds and to undo 5 seconds.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I have my own system but I don't recomend it to anybody. You can damage your camera and strap trying to do it.That's what we call in spain "una chapuza" (in english could be call "botched job"):D. I use the original M8 strap in combination with the M8 grip with a couple of brackets. I'm using it for the last year and It works for me. I don't think that this is going to be useful to somebody. How to do it is like a puzle and completely imposible to explain. Sorry but I don't know how to explain it. I just can show you a picture. And one more thing if you take off the base plate, you have to rebuild it again or do it carefully bringing it back to the same place. To build it last 25 seconds and to undo 5 seconds.

Pues si que eso es una chapuza a lo grande ! ;)

thanks for sharing, sincerely I did not understand anything andd as I do not use a grip it won't work for me. But I will try out other versions. I had thought about a lock unlock system that would allow to change straps in a few seconds but I did not succeed.

I think the average lens approach is a great idea. For me it would be 24+28+35+50+75)/5 = 42.4. Leica, where are you? My single choice would always be the 35mm Lux ASPH because it yeilds such incredible images. But I love the focus and bokeh of protraits made with the 50 f1.4 pre-ASPH and the 75mm Lux. Then there's the time I only took my 50mm lens to Amsterdam by mistake instead of the 35 Lux and discovered myself backing all the way out of the central "dam" trying to take it's picture. So, there has to be a wide in the mix for certain situations. But I have no trouble leaving one lens in place most of the time.

When you mount, say, an 18mm lens then you also mount your '18mm eyes' and then you see that way. And that goes for all focal lengths. Seeing the '18mm picture' and taking it is far quicker than changing lenses -- it's even far quicker than fiddling with a zoom.

You must of course be able to 'previsualize' the kind of taking situations that you will encounter, and select the lens accordingly. With a M you are ALWAYS practising 'one lens photography' however many lenses you are schlepping around ...

The old man from the Age of One Lens Cameras