One lens photography -

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Dear all,

I have never been a 'lens hugger' or armchair photographer, which I feel unfortunately plagues the Leica marque, there are many brand followers who love buying lens but never really take photos.

However when shooting film, I did acquire a few Leica (28, 35, 50 and 90) lenses which I all used but clearly my favorite was the 35 and 50 f2s.

Since getting the M8 however, I have become a one lens photographer again, its a nice feeling. I shoot pretty much 99% of the time with the 35mm f2.

I am tempted to buy a 50mm f2 again but don't know how often it will be used.

Has anyone else noticed this shooting with the M8?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I use my 35mm Summilux Asph. almost all the time. Sometimes in tight places it's a bit long, so I have a 24mm Elmarit Asph. for these places. Depending on you style you really don't need more. At many weddings the 24mm doesn't even come out - KISS...

I recently spent several days in Cambodia and due to equipment failure (D700), I used only the M8. I hadn't planned to use just the M8, but there I was with the camera and three lenses. Long story short, I used the Cron 35mm for almost all the photos. Over 90%. I felt no disadvantages even when my friend was using her 5D and 70-200mm f/2.8 zoom. In fact, I felt it helped my photography. Leo

Dear all,

Since getting the M8 however, I have become a one lens photographer again, its a nice feeling. I shoot pretty much 99% of the time with the 35mm f2.

I am tempted to buy a 50mm f2 again but don't know how often it will be used.

Yes I'm loving the discipline of one camera one lens with M8, however I choose the best lens from my set to suit the shoot...

i'd say that I bought my 35 with an m7 some years ago and since getting an m8 I've continued to use it there for most of the time. that doesn't really answer your question of whether the m8 promotes use of one lens only, this is much more down to personal preference and level of experience. in addition i have a tendency to carry a 28 and more recently the tri-elmar

On holiday in Brugge a few weeks ago I went out late one afternoon without my camera bag, using the M8.2 with the 35mm Summilux. This is what photography was like for me in the late 1960s and early 1970s – one camera and one lens (because that was all I could afford in those days.)

The experience was a liberating one, but I kept on seeing a small number of subjects that needed a different lens!

Brugge was the first time I’ve used my recently-acquired M8.2 for longer than an afternoon and was a good introduction to the new world of cropped coverage. The big surprise was how often I used the 90mm Summicron. With film, 90mm was a focal length that I rarely used, but now acting as an effective 125mm fast lens, it proved invaluable in picking out small subjects such as architectural details.

Glad you get the nice feeling with one lens. If I had to use only one lens, I would not be buying an interchangable lens camera!

YMMV.

Dear all,

Lately I find myself using one of my M8s with just the 28mm 2.8 ASPH. The outfit fits in a tiny nondescript bag.

The other M8 usually has the WATE mounted but more and more stays at home, along with the 50mm Summarit, my only other lens these days.

Maybe I'm getting lazy, but the other night sauntering around central London I really enjoyed the experience once again of shooting with a light and inconspicuous outfit, and 'making do'.

I have a 28 cron, 35 lux, 50 lux and 75 Summarit. I just acquired the 35 but it has not been off of my M8 in a week. Yea, it has some focus shift (and I tried two copies) but man it is gorgeous. I rarely use my 50, and much prefer the 35's rendering. I MAY sell my 50 and 28 and pick up a 24 Lux and a cheaper 50 for the times when I want to use one.

For me the 35 and M8 are a match made in heaven, but there are times when I need wider so I believe a 24 would fit the bill.

Steve

85% of shots with 35 'cron, rest evenly split between 24 elmar and 75 summarit, the latter being very handy for action shots (playing dogs and kids, etc.)

markus

Dear all,

there are many brand followers who love buying lens but never really take photos.

Quite a sweeping statement without any evidence - and even if it is true, so what?

My first Leica was an M4 w/LeicaMeter and a 50 mm Dual Range Summicron purchased in 1970 for $250.00. Only shot with that lens for 4 years until I purchased a 35 Summicron from Doc McGinness while I was at Vanderbilt in 1974.

For all of the equipment I have owned and currently own, I find that my best photography happens when I take out one camera and one lens. It forces you to think, to frame and to create. You concentrate on getting the best photograph and you do not spend time debating on which lens you should use.

If you're going to be a "one lens person" then the best lens to mount mathematically is:

16+18+21+24+28+35+50+75+90+135= 492mm

492/10=49.2mm

So therefore, a 50mm is the best option as the mean focal length for the M8.

In another thread, I described my general working practice...camera on strap with one lens, and second lens in pouch on belt...just in case. I make this choice from among my 4 current lenses...all more capable than I.

Yesterday, I went to Baltimore's little Italy section of town, near the harbor, and had the 50 lux on the M, and the 28 in the pouch. After 6 hours of wandering and shooting (and 2 for dinner)...the 50 never once left the camera. Some days I just see a certain way.

I will say, however, that I've been caught without a lens I wish I had...hence general practice of carrying 2. If I had the 75 cron yesterday, there was one occasion I might have switched. But, the 50 lux sufficed just dandy.

Jeff

I prefer to shoot with two lenses. One that offers a slightly wide/normal field of view. And another (at least a 50 that focuses down to .7 meters) that lets me capture detail shots.

At the moment that's a 35 UC hexanon or 35 pre-asph summilux (eventually I hope to pick one of these two and sell the other) and a 50 summicron.

The one lens thing is fine if you want to travel as light as possible. But when you limit yourself to a single focal length, you also limit your options.