M8 - to buy or not to buy?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

OK, so I know I'm probably about to open a massive can of worms here and perhaps this has already been answered but here goes...

I am seriously considering selling my M6TTL to buy an M8.

I've read the reviews and know about having to use an IR filter to stop blacks becoming purples, unreliable auto WB, green ghosting, noise etc.

All these things are a concern, especially give the cost implications involved. I can't keep the M6 as it'd be a major part of the cost of the M8, so that's not an option but there are UK used dealers selling mint M8's for under £2000.

I already have 2 decent lenses, the f2 35mm Summicron ASPH and the f2.8 90mm Elmarit M which I'll keep. They'll need to be coded I presume but know nothing about how that works. Could I use them without them being coded? What focal lengths will they give me on the digital sensor?

Any thoughts, opinions and advice would be very welcome

Thanks

Gary

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Gary, I recently jumped over to the M8. Even with all of it's quirks I have really enjoyed using it. I find the AWB to be quite good with the latest firmware, if you are interested you can see some of my work shot before and after the M8 on my site below. Good luck with the decision, if you get one I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

Hi

If you sold your M6, you would miss it later. I LOVE my M8 but I shoot with films more often these days.

So, my advise is 'dont sell the M6'.

Good luck with your decision

cheers

You can advertise your equipment for sale through this site which contributes to the cost of running it.

You can get both of those lenses coded if you want to but only the 35mm really needs it. You send the lens to Leica, they fit a new bayonet ring, give it an exterior clean and send it back. You'll need IR filters (39mm for the 35/2, 46mm for the 90/2.8). You get the equivalent focal length by multiplying by 4/3, so the 90 becomes a 120mm lens in 35mm terms and the 35mm becomes a 47mm lens - essentially a "normal" lens rather than a wide.

Hi Gary,

I advise you to keep your M6, your M optics and to buy M8

I find that to have 2 types of device (film and digital technology) gives more safety.

I have 2 M8 and one M7 and I find that the pleasure is not the same (silence of the shutter more discreet on M7 or M6 than M8).

But if your choice is made, buys a M8 in second hand (2000 LS is a good price) but it is also necessary to you to buy the software photos and have a PC .

I develop myself black and white film. M6 will get you some pleasure especially in black and white with its unique "grain".

Best regards

Henry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

In an ideal world I'd be happy to keep both but like I said in the first part of my posting, that's not an option. It's not financially possible unfortunately.

I am fortunate to have a 'digital darkroom' already as I use a Mac and also shoot using a Fuji S5 Pro and some high end Nikon lenses so I don't have the additional cost of the computer set up. I'm also used to working with digital and have done since its early days.

I don't have the luxury of a film darkroom due to space limitations at home and am reliant on farming out all my film work.

So, just to reiterate one more time - it's one or the other.

Guest John66

The M6 is a great camera. I wouldn't sell it to buy an M8. The M8 in its current form is just not right yet.

Edited by John66

If it helps I have an M6 and an M8. I bought the M8 about two and half years ago. I haven't used the M6 since. I can't sell the M6, too many sentimental memories, but if I could only have one of the two I'd keep the M8.

If you do buy an M8 then try the lenses without coding. The 90mm should be ok, the 35mm _may_ be too. You will need the filters though.

Then again you may be different. If you're not sure about what you ought to do, then how can we be?

I love my M8. I did the same thing you are considering. But I've now gone back and picked up an M body.

Simply put, I don't trust the M8. I am on my third copy of the camera.

The first one had quite a few eletronic issues and was eventually replaced by Leica.

The second one I sold before using - as I considered moving away from the M8.

The third one I purchased a bit later, after finding a good deal. It too has had a couple - seemingly random - power issues. Yesterday, for example, it just stopped working until I removed and re-installed the battery.

It's a small sample size, I realize. But I've owned eight digital cameras (pentax K10D, Nikon D200, Canon 10D, Canon 30D, Epson RD1 and the M8) and the only one that's been flaky for me is the M8.

If you buy it, you'll love it. But just make sure you have a backup plan of some sort.

I bought an M8 then sold my M6. I have no regrets.

Your choice quite simply is:

to keep the M6 continue to shoot film and then process and scan it, or

to change to an M8 and provide yourself with an entirely digital workflow.

I chose the latter option and, whilst I like film Ms, could not go back to a film based system except perhaps for very occasional use. If cost is a significant factor then a used M8 has a lot to be said for it, however if you are worried about the M8 'issues' that are debated ad nauseum here, then make sure that you get a good warranty for a reasonable period - most dealers should offer at least 6 months and some will offer 12.

You could consider getting a new M8, with the Leica rebate they are £2490 and you might be able to get a bit off that. With a new camera you get a 2 year warranty and 2 free IR filters. If money is really tight then you could also consider trading in the 90 elmarit, it is a long lens on an M8. Starting with the simplicity of an M8 and just the 35 mm cron could be a satisfying photographic experience.

Jeff

I have used an M8 (now M8.2) since introduction, along with an M7 and an M3. The M8's have been perfect with the exception of a circuit board problem with the early one, which was fixed promptly. BTW, I have received nothing other than excellent service from Leica in New Jersey.

But if I could only keep one M it would be the M7. Hi res scans are terrific and the B&W is really excellent. I'd get a cheap digital camera (like the Nikon D40 with kit lens) to use until I could get an M8.x

Enjoy.

Gary,

DON'T buy an M8!

Yes, I've got one and love it. But when I read the reviews on this forum, it really must be a rotten camera. Back focus (iso auto focus), it won't shut off sometimes (iso 100 auto settings I never understand and use), people saying it is a gimmick or a status symbol (iso a body with extra battery pack and 300 mm lens scaring everybody away).

Not that I noticed while using it. Mine just works A-Okay and - if at all - comments by people are in the region of " hey, is that a Leica, may I hold it, ah, they don't make them like that anymore, how old is this one?"

Oh, and DON'T sell the M6. And that's serious!

Marco

Hi Gary,

I have an M8 and love it. I am about to get a second M8 body, which is being funded by selling my M6 TTL, an M2 as well some other stuff. Like Steve, I haven't used my film Ms since buying the M8, but I am not quite so sentimental. Mind you, it's not been an easy decision - it's another nail in the Darkroom's coffin. I can see my darkroom going fairly soon. But I can still develop film and scan it if I want to, so for me, it's the best of both worlds.

I don't regret buying an M8 and I don't think I will regret selling my film Ms. I'd rather have kit that I know will get used and enjoyed rather than it languishing in a bag or on a shelf.

All the best

Mark

Consider this - the film junkies will all chime in here and tell you to keep the M6 and not to touch the M8. That's a given.

I think you'll find that the majority of M8 users who've made the switch from film will either have their film M's sitting around mostly unused, or will have sold them. I'm in this category and keep my M7 and shoot it occasionally but it's relatively unloved compared to the M8. I can't bear to part with it, yet it's expensive to use (film/processing) and I'm seldom bothered to scan (& spot) film these days. :(

Buy the M8, sell the M6 and get a user M3 for old times sake. Not that you'll shoot much film after you have switched to digital, but it nice to have the option. And yes- If you read the forum it is the worst camera ever built. However, I have two of them since two and a half years, 20.000 shots and no problems....AWB is as good as any you'll find and a hell of a lot better than the AWB of slide film ;) Not that that is of any relevancy unless you shoot Jpg - but that is something you'll only do when you are sacrificing image quality for convenience anyway.

Edited by jaapv

My two pennies worth: I too had the same problem, I purchased the MP with the intention of keeping it for life and passing it onto my son etc... however now that I have jumped over to the M8, I can't even remember the MP. I'd sell the M6 now while you can. Prices just keep dropping, I think you could (if you REALLY missed it), buy a M6 for less than £500. Of course it would be battered but who cares, it will still take amazing photos.

As much as I hate to admit this, being a diehard film fan... the M8 rocks, and I am now taking more photos than ever before, still of a Leica nature, meaning that I don't come home with 5000 digital images, more like about 100, (3 rolls worth), which during my film days, was completely normal.

I purchased a M8 direct from Leica for £1699, it was apart of their ex-demo stock, full passport, boxed, papers etc. It was basically brand new.

Good luck!

I had an M6 and bought the M8 two and half years ago. After one year of not using the M6 I sold it and didn't look back since. For a non pro, who has to steel quality time to go shooting, the convenience and immediate feedback of digital simply wins over the hassle of developing (or having developped) and scanning film, not to forget costs.

To your two nice optics, a 21mm would be a good addition, eg the inexpensive CV21 would be a good option to start.

Yes, try the M8: the freedom to take numerous shots, and see them instantly, as opposed to worrying about the film running out (not to mention your processings costs+price of new film nowadays). M8 shutter also allows taking a sequence of shots, so if it's urban stuff you can reject the ones with awkwardly disposed people in the image. I have to admit, though, that A4s from scans from my MP have a 'certain something' which makes me slightly regret selling that camera to finance M8 – then I think of the hassle of scanning and retouching, as most processed film, even from the better London processors, comes back with scratches and tenacious dust spots. Have a look at Aperture Photographic Tel. 020 7242 8681 Fax. 020 7242 8680 to see the current pricing for s/h film cameras, should you agree (as I do) with Jaapv's posting here. PGK also has some useful advice. If you download the M8 instruction manual from Leica's website you'll see how similar the two cameras are in use. But you probably know that already.