Compatible SD Memory Cards for the LEICA M8

jcraig

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The Leica M8 and the DMR both do not read SDHC 4 GB cards. I purchased 3 SanDisk SDHC 4GB cards, reading in the sales brochure that the Leica will read up to 4GB cards, and even larger storage SD cards with future updates. Neither the M8 or my DMR will read any of the 4GB SDHC SanDisk cards, although the less expensive Leica DLUX 3 and Digilux 3, made by Panasonic, quickly and easily read them all. I do have a single no-name brand 4GB card that does not use the new SDHC format, and the Leica M8 and DMR both read and write to that card easily.

I will ask Leica about this when I send my M8 to Solms for its "remedy" later this month.

Best,

Larry Greenhill

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

SanDisk 4GBHC do not work in the M8.

The ones being sold on the B&H site do not mention they are HC. I bought 2 of them and now have to return them.

They wouldn't work in my 1DsMKII SD slot either.

I did exactly the same on a trip to New York last month but and also found they don't work as the screen shows "card full" and won't format. Being back in London now I cannot return them. (I queried with the salesman whether they would work and showed him the Leica list. He said they were not on the list as they had only recently come on the market.)

Can we expect Leica to update the October list and for a firmware update to make the 4gb Sandisk card usable with the M8?

• 3 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...